OT: - Rachel Nichols out at ESPN | The Boneyard

OT: Rachel Nichols out at ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been posted here. I'm ignorant of her so i will abstain from making any comments.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a shame. Never really watched the Jump which I think she was the primary creator but the few times, she was so energetic and put every ounce of energy into the show. Probably too radioactive to get a significant new gig for a while

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been posted here. I'm ignorant of her so i will abstain from making any comments.

Sad at how ridiculous the world is now. Bunch of PC fools, White Knights and Simps. ESPN and their Disney owners are among the worst.
Rachel's comments were correct and nothing to go crazy over. However, in this crazy PC environment its a no no.
Its why ESPN and the NBA are nearly unwatchable and not anything that I care about. It used to be a far different story.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed her work for awhile. She eventually jumped the shark like most espn personalities do. Looks like she’s getting a year off with pay.

Reaction Score

I think there's more at play beyond the "diversity" issue she had. Internal politics and changes in ESPN's organization may have also had a hand. Not saying that it may not have been part of the decision, but I get the sense there were more politics in addition to this.

I'm also curious as to what the ratings were like. It was noted last year, the Jump's numbers were dropping. I haven't found anything that indicates it bounced back up.

ESPN has been making changes with a lot of their staff, with Kenny Mayne being let go, Kellerman leaving First Take, etc. The variety article even noted the person who made the decision to pull the plug recently moved into the position. Had it been the predecessor, she may have remained but we'll never know.

Reaction Score
When she was replaced with Maria Taylor she attributed the hire to concerns regarding diversity. When SHE (Rachel) was hired in a male-dominated arena I suppose it was all because she was the best for the position? In other words, why not afford her coworker (Maria) that same consideration versus she was hired specifically because of diversity issues? If the issue really was diversity, don't you keep BOTH WOMEN?

Reaction Score
Sad at how ridiculous the world is now. Bunch of PC fools, White Knights and Simps. ESPN and their Disney owners are among the worst.
Rachel's comments were correct and nothing to go crazy over. However, in this crazy PC environment its a no no.
Its why ESPN and the NBA are nearly unwatchable and not anything that I care about. It used to be a far different story.
Huge college hoops fan- woman’s entire season, men’s conference tourneys and big dance.
NBA does not exist to me- I consider it a cheap knockoff of real basketball made for the TV

Reaction Score
Huge college hoops fan- woman’s entire season, men’s conference tourneys and big dance.
NBA does not exist to me- I consider it a cheap knockoff of real basketball made for the TV

I'm with you, I haven't watched the NBA in nearly 20 years. It has become basically glorified one on one- the guy with the ball is "defended" by another guy while the other 8 stand around watching & waiting. Guy with the ball launches a 3, it either goes in & everybody walks down to the other side of the court or it doesn't and there is a scramble for the ball. Traveling is rampant, guys don't know how to defend, or pass or get in position to grab a rebound. It's awful. I can't believe the rest of the planet thinks this is "basketball". It isn't, as you say it is "cheap knockoff of real basketball made for the TV".

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If the issue really was diversity, don't you keep BOTH WOMEN?

Exactly. Instead, Maria Taylor is now with NBC, The Jump is dead and who knows where Rachel Nichols is and/or will be going.

But Max Kelllerman will leave "First Take" and get his own new show. Huh?

At least, Nichols brought insight, passion and opportunites for the NBA and ESPN to expand on it's roundball investment.

Instead, Dave Roberts issues some pablum about "this approach being best..." Gag me.

Well, if ESPN does decide to do a take on basketball, why not involve both the NBA and WNBA in a show?

Doubtful, especially since ESPN is probably trying to figure out how many new shows they can create abouut the NFL and/or the ever-expanding SEC. :rolleyes: ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
For the last two years I've only watched ESPN when the women are playing and the tournament. I haven't watched the NBA for about 8 years, NFL almost 3 years, and MLB for the past 2 seasons. I can't stand listening to their consistent babbling during the games, but I suffer so I might hear something about the players. I just wish that they would talk sports and leave everything else out of the discussions.

Reaction Score
Sad you are so angry that the world is changing and not allowing people to treat oppressed groups badly anymore

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
From the sound of it, you weren't watching her show anyway, so it makes little sense that you should be so bent out of shape over its discontinuation.

Unless, of course, you're just using this news item as a pretext to launch into your stock political diatribe. Surely you wouldn't do that :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom