OT: - R.I.P. McCoy Tyner | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. McCoy Tyner

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Some say McCoy and Elvin were the driving forces in 'Trane band. After Bill Evans, McCoy was perhaps the most influential pianists of the following generations. His hands were as gigantic as his talent. I've just about played out my copy of "The Real McCoy". RIP big man.

Reaction Score
one of my favorites, along with Evans, playing one of my favorite tunes

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I saw McCoy in the mid-70’s. He actually did a solo set of about 45 minutes, which was truly breathtaking. After the break, he came out carrying a mountain dulcimer. The folks around us were all asking what it was, and since I had just built one, I, the snot-nosed kid, was able to tell them.

Reaction Score
He was brilliant. One of the last from the greatest generation of jazz.
The generation of jazz muscians that were at their height in the late 50s and 60s is almost gone. McCoy was the last of the so called classic Coltrane quartet to go. The last time I saw him was in Hartford in one of the jazz concert series that Jackie McClean's wife Lorraine organized. MCCoy was great with 'Trane with that heavy percussive style of big blocky chords but preferred his playing post Coltrane. I'm really sorry that we have lost his voice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom