OT: - R I P Ginger Baker | The Boneyard

OT: R I P Ginger Baker

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Cream is probably one of the Top Five, definitely one of the Top Ten, Rock groups of all time with each member also in the same class for their respective instruments.
I consider Ginger the best rock drummer of my life time even though he was more than a "rock and roll" drummer. Maybe because his rock career was so short is why Moon and Bonham are considered better drummers by most...

Reaction Score
1570382837703.png

RIP Ginger

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Cream is probably one of the Top Five, definitely one of the Top Ten, Rock groups of all time with each member also in the same class for their respective instruments.
I consider Ginger the best rock drummer of my life time even though he was more than a "rock and roll" drummer. Maybe because his rock career was so short is why Moon and Bonham are considered better drummers by most...
While I too really liked Cream, your lofty ranking is not logical according to any Rock n Roll aficionado.
Top 15 Bands with more influence and more hits than Cream-in no particular order Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, The Eagles, Aerosmith, U2, Mettalica, CCR and Fleetwood Mac all come to mind before Cream. Cream had talent but a limit career of albums and songs also limits them being a top 10 group by any known publication.
That said, I watched a documentary about Mr. Baker which was fascinating, enlightening and depressing all at the same time. He is among a handful of phenomenal drummers that also led tot the stereotype of the party hardy drummer. Hopefully he rests in peace in the afterlife as he certainly did not sustain much peace in his life.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
While I too really liked Cream, your lofty ranking is not logical according to any Rock n Roll aficionado.
Top 15 Bands with more influence and more hits than Cream-in no particular order Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, The Eagles, Aerosmith, U2, Mettalica, CCR and Fleetwood Mac all come to mind before Cream. Cream had talent but a limit career of albums and songs also limits them being a top 10 group by any known publication.
That said, I watched a documentary about Mr. Baker which was fascinating, enlightening and depressing all at the same time. He is among a handful of phenomenal drummers that also led tot the stereotype of the party hardy drummer. Hopefully he rests in peace in the afterlife as he certainly did not sustain much peace in his life.
I don't claim to be an "aficionado" but I do have MY opinion. Guess I should have made that a bit clearer. And as far as their influence, it amazes me how many other musicians all have proclaimed how much they have been influenced by this group and by Ginger, especially with their limited number of albums - each of which are great!!! IMO!!!
I was waiting to see how long it would be before my statement/opinion was challenged. I am not disappointed.

Reaction Score

Aerosmith more influential than Cream? Guns n Roses? I think not.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

It depends on what you mean by "Top ten". If you're talking pure talent, Cream is definitely up there, but it's a little unfair to compare a real supergroup with, say, the Who or the Doors. If you're talking hits, I absolutely agree they're not.

I love Ginger's drumming, but then I tend to favor really hard hitters.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I hope Ginger finally found his way home.

I believe he ran into a Toad while trying to find his way home...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't claim to be an "aficionado" but I do have MY opinion. Guess I should have made that a bit clearer. And as far as their influence, it amazes me how many other musicians all have proclaimed how much they have been influenced by this group and by Ginger, especially with their limited number of albums - each of which are great!!! IMO!!!
I was waiting to see how long it would be before my statement/opinion was challenged. I am not disappointed.
I believe your category of 'best rock groups' is a bit vague and engenders rebuttal. How about Cream was one of the top 5 most influential rock bands of all time. Their infusion of jazz, blues and virtuoso performances lifts them far above the crowd. besides that I loved them!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's another one that showcases Ginger's drumming. He really pounded the drums but still had great subtlety.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Saw Ginger Baker at the New Haven Arena (Cream)...he played the last half of the drum solo in "Toad" with his bare hand after his stick broke...amazing, amazing drummer.

Reaction Score

Part of this is quality vs quantity. Cream effectively lasted just a little over two years. Three great albums. If you include Blind Faith, add another six months and another very good album - although it needed a bit more material.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Part of this is quality vs quantity. Cream effectively lasted just a little over two years. Three great albums. If you include Blind Faith, add another six months and another very good album - although it needed a bit more material.
Not to be argumentative but I believe that Cream put out four great albums between '66 and '69:
Fresh Cream
Disraeli Gears
Wheels of Fire
Goodbye
and there are many "Best of" types and "Live" albums that were distributed after the breakup.
And, again, IMO, the 3 "Best" and/or "Influential" rock bands are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Cream. There, I said it. And Ginger Baker was the Best drummer.
Big caveat: I haven't listened to any new Rock bands since the '90s, except Halestorm. I blame SiriusXM for this.:)

Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative but I believe that Cream put out four great albums between '66 and '69:
Fresh Cream
Disraeli Gears
Wheels of Fire
Goodbye

Yes, you are correct. I went from memory and had totally forgotten about Goodbye, which was released months after the band broke up. The majority of that album consisted of live versions of songs that were already on the studio albums, so it didn't really register with me. That album did include Badge however.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Big caveat: I haven't listened to any new Rock bands since the '90s, except Halestorm. I blame SiriusXM for this.:)
You're missing some good stuff. (not saying there is Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Cream level, but there's a lot of good rock music out there.) Most of it isn't on Sirius either. :(

Reaction Score
You're missing some good stuff. (not saying there is Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Cream level, but there's a lot of good rock music out there.) Most of it isn't on Sirius either. :(
Which is why I didn't renew the Sirius subscription that came with my new vehicle purchase.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Which is why I didn't renew the Sirius subscription that came with my new vehicle purchase.
The only time I listen to music is when I am driving, which probably amounts to 6 hours a month. And when I do listen, I only listen to 1 of 3 SiriusXM stations, each of which is considered Classic Rock.
I discovered Halestorm on YouTube.
But enough about me...I think most everyone can agree that Ginger Baker was a Great drummer. RIP.

Reaction Score
He made most other rock drummers sound like rank amateurs with a bad beat. Listen to Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home". Great singing (Steve Winwood), great lead guitar (Eric Clapton), but the best part of the song is the drumming/cymbal work by Ginger Baker. I don't know what class he was in, but I know it didn't take long to call roll.

That being said, he was one seriously contrary individual. He hated a lot of things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom