OT: - R.I.P. Carm Cozza | The Boneyard

OT: R.I.P. Carm Cozza

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carm Cozza passed away today at the age of 87.

Long before anyone in CT ever heard of Geno Auriemma, the most popular Italian-American in the Housatonic Valley and throughout the state of CT was Carmen Louis Cozza, the legendary football coach at Yale. Cozza won ten Ivy League championships at Yale and was the winningest coach in the history of Ivy League Football. Growing up in CT, I had the opportunity to watch Cozza's teams play at the Yale Bowl back when that ancient stadium was largely full. It was always a great experience.

Carm Cozza turned out some great football players at Yale and more importantly many great young men. I had the opportunity to meet Cozza many years ago. He was above all else. a gentleman.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I played high school ball with John Kerecz, Yale '72, and Bob Perschel, Yale '73. Both of them played for and really liked Coach Cozza.

Reaction Score
When I was a freshman at Yale 1967-68, Carm held a Football 101 class every Monday night. Basically he played the game film from the previous Saturday in a large lecture hall. It was well attended as Yale football had had some tough years and now was winning. I didn’t realize at the time how unique it was for a head coach to sit with a bunch of students and just revel in the game. He never did it again as winning became more common, just that one year. Thanks for letting me remember olddude.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Dad was a Yalie and played football in the '50s. We spent many Saturdays tailgating and watching Dick Jauron tear up the gridiron.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dad was a Yalie and played football in the '50s. We spent many Saturdays tailgating and watching Dick Jauron tear up the gridiron.
I hope you noticed his teammate, captain, and all-Ivy linebacker Bob Perschel stopping the opposition. Dick went on to the NFL. Bob went on to the Yale School of Forestry.

Reaction Score
Carm Cozza passed away today at the age of 87.

Long before anyone in CT ever heard of Geno Auriemma, the most popular Italian-American in the Housatonic Valley and throughout the state of CT was Carmen Louis Cozza, the legendary football coach at Yale. Cozza won ten Ivy League championships at Yale and was the winningest coach in the history of Ivy League Football. Growing up in CT, I had the opportunity to watch Cozza's teams play at the Yale Bowl back when that ancient stadium was largely full. It was always a great experience.

Carm Cozza turned out some great football players at Yale and more importantly many great young men. I had the opportunity to meet Cozza many years ago. He was above all else. a gentleman.

Really nice tribute. MY HS was in the Housatonic Valley League, long before your time. Before Uconn Yale was the Basketball College team to follow along with NYU for Ct HS kids.
Again, nice and fitting tribute .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom