Quse vs NC State | The Boneyard

Quse vs NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Cuse is good, guys. They lost Jackson but everyone else got better and they added talent as well.

Edit: Cue a big State run as soon as I type that...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
NC State just tied it up

Reaction Score
after today i think cuse and louisville are for real. i was really impressed with the ville especially the kid DIENG.

Reaction Score
I agree- both Cuse and UL looked very good today.

Right now, both look a step above uconn, I think in large part because they have a bunch of upperclassman.

Reaction Score
i think by march uconn,ville and cuse are going to be fighting for a 1 seed. i cant wait till we play them.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Cuse has impressive depth but no "take over the game" stars...bunch of players who will get a sniff at the next level but no one who looks like a probable starter.
Their zone is very active and long, with a lot of active hands and a big problem for teams who have not seen it before.
They also have several players who must be covered on the three line...all of the above could spell trouble for a team like UNC or UK.
However, they also showed that their guards are sub-par passers, so if their defender stays in front of them, their half court offense really struggles. So against the Cuse, don't turn to over, cover the three and don't allow their guards to penetrate and then be aggressive in attacking the zone and they are very beatable

Reaction Score
Cuse looks scary when they're hitting 3's. Along with Kentucky, UNC, and OSU I would put them in a limited category of elite teams that can just blow out solid teams. I don't think UConn is at that level quite yet because we don't have the same ability to score inside that the above teams do.

However, being able to blow out good teams doesn't mean much if you can't consistently beat them. We saw that with UNC against UNLV already, as well as Kentucky vs. Indiana. In that sense I think those 4 teams are less distanced from the pack as people think. Do they have the highest ceilings? I think so. But ceilings don't win you NCAA championships, floors do. It's a momentum game, and you're only as good as you are on your worst day--especially in March.

UConn might not have the capability of blowing out good teams like these guys, but that doesn't mean we can't beat great teams. That's the formula we followed last year, and when our competition gets better this year I expect to see a similar pattern. Basically what I'm trying to say is I really like the position UConn is in right now.

Reaction Score
Cuse has impressive depth but no "take over the game" stars...bunch of players who will get a sniff at the next level but no one who looks like a probable starter.
Their zone is very active and long, with a lot of active hands and a big problem for teams who have not seen it before.
They also have several players who must be covered on the three line...all of the above could spell trouble for a team like UNC or UK.
However, they also showed that their guards are sub-par passers, so if their defender stays in front of them, their half court offense really struggles. So against the Cuse, don't turn to over, cover the three and don't allow their guards to penetrate and then be aggressive in attacking the zone and they are very beatable

"Cover the 3" and "don't let their guards penetrate" require doing the opposite things - either playing up on them, allowing them to drive by, or laying off them, allowing them to shoot 3. Most one-on-one defensive teams can't do both, unless their athletes are just that much better than the ones they're guarding.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I haven't seen cuse play and I'm not worried about them.

Being41 years old and having followed college bball since UNC/G'town in New Orleans I don't care what any other team in the country does.

Bottom line, I'll take our A game against any other teams A game. If we play a C game against the other 4-5 best teams we lose, but I like our best effort against anyone else's best effort.

We have so much talent across the board and it's talent that is still improving. Other than Oriakhi name me one player who is a finished product or maxed out on their talent. On the other hand Napier, Boatright, Lamb, Smith, Daniels, Giffey, Olander and Drummond are still improving their individual skills and coming together as a team.

For the rest of the country it sucks. For us Uconn fans it's a good feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom