Quite Frankky - Work Ethic | The Boneyard

Quite Frankky - Work Ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, besides poor shooting and basketball IQ, one of this team's biggest challenges is finding a guy who can set the work ethic example for other players. Many of the players just don't seem to comprehend how hard one needs to work at the game to be great. They may think they worked hard but going through the motions or at someone else's direction is not enough - you need that internal motor.

This is a make or break year for Brimah and Glen Miller as a Bigs coach. I think Miller's job is very safe but come on let's see some progress with the Bigs.

Reaction Score
brimah hasn't worked hard on? there goes your non existent credibility. he went from a under recruited athlete to a guy projected 25-35 in '16 draft. the guy setting the example is KO.

Reaction Score
Chief thinks that pretending to know Andre gives him insight into the practice facilities and weight rooms.

Reaction Score
Man, you use quite frankly in just about every other post. I know you're an insider ;). Let me see, someone else loved using those two words who was maybe a "chief" of a program. Holy sheet, Jim Calhoun = chief.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, another key ingredient to any successful basketball program is carbon. Without it, you can't develop an atmosphere capable of sustaining life. You can sign the best recruits in the country and study all the film you want, but if you live in a vast wasteland where nobody can breathe, you're probably not going to succeed.

I think if you were to look back, you'd find that most recent NCAA champions were from carbonful places. It's not a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, besides poor shooting and basketball IQ, one of this team's biggest challenges is finding a guy who can set the work ethic example for other players. Many of the players just don't seem to comprehend how hard one needs to work at the game to be great. They may think they worked hard but going through the motions or at someone else's direction is not enough - you need that internal motor.

This is a make or break year for Brimah and Glen Miller as a Bigs coach. I think Miller's job is very safe but come on let's see some progress with the Bigs.
I know you get a lot of crap when you post, but I don't think you're that far off-base on this. Not necessarily in saying that our current roster doesn't have guys like this (Brimah is lauded for his work ethic, there have been some stories of Purivs working in the gym until very late into the night), but in stating just how important a strong work ethic is to fielding elite teams.

Much of the reason we've been so successful over the years is because Calhoun, and now Ollie, are master motivators. They challenge their players to improve their games; to have the inner drive to be great. That has been key in developing our players and overcoming the perceived talent gap between our teams and the rosters littered with one-and-dones.

I'm not sure if Ollie's workout regime is quite as rigorous as when he first got to UConn, but I recall stories of our players essentially being embarrassed into putting in extra work because they didn't want to be outworked by their 40 year old assistant coach.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not sure what I like more, the basketball board and "quite frankly" or the football board and "what's good?"

Reaction Score
His improvement will almost entirely depend on how much he understands the game more so than being able to score etc etc.. His ability is ahead of his feeling for the game and if and when he gets a better understangin of the overall game he will become a ton better at that point. Rebounding will come from this not from being stronger necessarily although that will help.

And quite frankly you can't teach that, you can only point things out but its up to a player to figure out "how" to play and where to be at some point.

Reaction Score
The scrappy in me thinks that Brimah will have a much better season somewhat because of the presense of Miller. We know Miller can get up and get some boards which will allow Brimah to take chances on the block. Perhaps the two can work as a defesive duo. Could be they hit offense together well too. If Miller can post up from 5 or 10 oppositions won't collapse so easy and leave some open room for Brimah. But I don't see anything from Brimah on offense that changes substantially. He will do better against weak teams and be out-muscled by stronger teams - quite frankly.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, another key ingredient to any successful basketball program is carbon. Without it, you can't develop an atmosphere capable of sustaining life. You can sign the best recruits in the country and study all the film you want, but if you live in a vast wasteland where nobody can breathe, you're probably not going to succeed.

I think if you were to look back, you'd find that most recent NCAA champions were from carbonful places. It's not a coincidence.

^^Exactly this, 12 of the last 13 national champions came from carbonful places. The one exception: Syracuse, the only place in America that looks like more of a h e l l ish wasteland than Chernobyl.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and this is based on reliable sources I'm sure

I mean, I have no idea about the work ethic of the current roster, but I'm thinking Ollie won't let them be lazy

the only thing they need is time, IMHO

Reaction Score

You must be pushing our buttons because you are bored in the off season- at least I hope that is what you are doing. Saying that a KO coached team does not know how to work hard is plain crazy or stupid- take your pick.

I agree we lacked basketball IQ last year and our chemistry was not great- but we just had a NC team graduate that had both in spades.

We need to replace a lot of talent- and with new talent comes basketball IQ and chemistry. Ever hear of a transitional year? Every team in the country with the exception of UK, Dook, KU and maybe a few others has to deal with the process of rebuilding. It has nothing to do with them not giving 100%.

Reaction Score
I thought that this team not working hard enough was the subtext to a lot of the coverage of the team this season. I think KO even said in a press conference that the players weren't putting enough time outside of practice in the gym, he also said he can't motivate people that it has to come from within. Doesn't mean everybody was slacking, I'm sure Boat was working hard, and there were stories of RP getting in extra free throws, Brimah was named captain because he worked hard, etc. But the team as a whole, particularly early in the year, probably didn't work hard enough.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
QUITE
fc,220x200,white.u2.jpg

Reaction Score
If we can just make sure that Chief00 posts a lot, we'll have an amazing offseason here on the BY!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chief's dribble aside, Ollie had a comment early on this season that stuck out to me. He mentioned the team needed more gym rats.

When I hear coaches talk about gym, I think of kids who put in the time outside of the allowed practice at getting better. The time allotted by the NCAA isn't nearly enough time for players to improve in-season.

Reaction Score
If you don't work hard for KO you don't play. Some of the players just couldn't do what he asked. Our talent deficiencies were well documented last year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
To this day, I think about this song and I am instantly transported to Thumper's dance floor, strobe lights, and nickel drinks.

Haha, you beat me to it, but I missed your post. I saw Chief's post last night and knew I had to respond.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Man, you use quite frankly in just about every other post. I know you're an insider ;). Let me see, someone else loved using those two words who was maybe a "chief" of a program. Holy sheet, Jim Calhoun = chief.

I asked Chief once if the absence of "quite frankly" from a comment means he is being disingenuous, and he basically conceded that to be the case. So watch out for when he doesn't begin with his trademark phrase; it means he's trolling you even harder than usual.

C

Chief00

I thought that this team not working hard enough was the subtext to a lot of the coverage of the team this season. I think KO even said in a press conference that the players weren't putting enough time outside of practice in the gym, he also said he can't motivate people that it has to come from within. Doesn't mean everybody was slacking, I'm sure Boat was working hard, and there were stories of RP getting in extra free throws, Brimah was named captain because he worked hard, etc. But the team as a whole, particularly early in the year, probably didn't work hard enough.

You are correct that was a frustration Kevin had throughout the season and he expressed it. Actually some good points - how does someone relatively new to the game who doesn't understand it real well translate work into production? All I can say is it won't happen without work. The Dream worked out every summer in Houston for years until he perfected several post moves. He was an example of someone who culturally started with soccer but who made the transition to basketball.
Quite frankly ( and for those who usually don't like candid comments cover your eyes) Brimah is a great kid yet he has not demonstrated an ability to learn from mistakes - going into year 3 that becomes a concern. Having said that he does possess an unique ability to change a game defensively even though his defensive rebounding is really poor.
I am not pointing fingers or blame but if Glen Miller can't reach him in three years; is he the right Bigs coach?

Reaction Score
You are correct that was a frustration Kevin had throughout the season and he expressed it. Actually some good points - how does someone relatively new to the game who doesn't understand it real well translate work into production? All I can say is it won't happen without work. The Dream worked out every summer in Houston for years until he perfected several post moves. He was an example of someone who culturally started with soccer but who made the transition to basketball.
Quite frankly ( and for those who usually don't like candid comments cover your eyes) Brimah is a great kid yet he has not demonstrated an ability to learn from mistakes - going into year 3 that becomes a concern. Having said that he does possess an unique ability to change a game defensively even though his defensive rebounding is really poor.
I am not pointing fingers or blame but if Glen Miller can't reach him in three years; is he the right Bigs coach?

I think you answered your own question Chief earlier in this post, which by the way I agree with and have said the same things. The fact Amida does not learn from mistakes definitely has hurt his growth in a major way. And if you don't think the "bigs" coach as well as others aren't watching film to try to help him better understand then you're wrong - they are and it's on him to be able to learn from mistakes. Thus far he hasn't all that often and it is alarming.

Having said that he still is a solid piece in the middle with his defensive abilities and many of his weaknesses will be less magnified with a solid PF who can play defense a little, something they had little or none of last year. If he ever does begin to learn and doesn't continue the pattern he can be really special. That's just defense and rebounding the ball - offense will come we know he can shoot it face up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom