Quite a few on Creighton forum picking UConn to win NC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quite a few on Creighton forum picking UConn to win NC

Reaction Score
Always a good sign to get respect from the Creighton fan forum. They are the experts afterall.

Reaction Score
Hey, I’d be happy to win another “fluke” championship this year. ( I’m not saying it’s coming, because then it wouldn’t be a fluke. And we are doomed anyway. ) people can apply any modifiers they’d like to the word champions. In 2014 it was a fluke championship, fine. In 2011 another fluke, no problem. The win over Butler a boring championship, I’ve got no issue with it. Because in the end the word they can’t change is champions.

Oh and for those who are saying that a championship is always a fluke and it would never come out the same way, maybe, but championship teams have a confidence that influences outcomes. Great teams “find a way to win“. In that way I will add my own modifier to the 2011 championship it was “destiny“. Replay that tournament 100 times and Kemba Walker and the rest of the 2011 squad find a way to win.
The "fluke" in 2011 was that another Big East team didn't win it.

UConn won every OOC game that year, including the Maui Classic in front of a huge Kentucky crowd, but lost 9 games in the conference and ended up with the 9 seed.

Best Big East tournament championship in history but ESPN gave that award to Syracuse for winning 4 games in 4 nights!

Reaction Score
There are low probability events and LOW probability events. Like a team that is favored between 55% and 75% in all 6 games would win something like 5% of the time. 2014 UConn was 64%, 39%, 51%, 42%, 26%, 49% = 0.06% according to KenPom's game lines. It's a 100x less likely result.
That math can't be right. Flipping heads 6 times in a row is 1/2^6 = 1/64 ~1.5%.

Those 2014 UConn odds, just by eye, are only slightly worse than that, maybe it's 0.5%. But not 0.06%. You must have dropped a decimal point somewhere. (In fact, doing the calculation just now yields 0.68%.)

That said, your heavy favorite example understates it a bit. A #1 seed is ~100% to win in the first round and probably 60-80% after that. That would be close to 15%. Probably overdoing it a bit, but in the ballpark. Gonzaga is something like 6-1 right now, which implies around 13-14%.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is a fluke:

Capt.-John-Contello-of-Just-Sayin-Sportfishing-Charters-caught-the-fluke-of-a-lifetime-a-14-pounder-over-the-July-4th-weekend.-800x600.jpg

Reaction Score
That math can't be right. Flipping heads 6 times in a row is 1/2^6 = 1/64 ~1.5%.

Those 2014 UConn odds, just by eye, are only slightly worse than that, maybe it's 0.5%. But not 0.06%. You must have dropped a decimal point somewhere. (In fact, doing the calculation just now yields 0.68%.)

That said, your heavy favorite example understates it a bit. A #1 seed is ~100% to win in the first round and probably 60-80% after that. That would be close to 15%. Probably overdoing it a bit, but in the ballpark. Gonzaga is something like 6-1 right now, which implies around 13-14%.
@Tenspro2002 @auror
According to kenpom we had a 0.7% chance to win it all in 2014.
Whoops yeah I moved a decimal too far somewhere. So 10x less likely, not 100x.

That brings up an interesting point, though. We were not fortunate in 2014. We played pretty much exactly the average difficulty path. Ken's log numbers are pre-tournament, based on simulating the tournament and getting an average. My numbers listed are the actual game probabilities during the run on game day. We played 10, 2, 3 (they were a bit overseeded, more like a 5), 4 (but they were a top 8 team when we played them), 1 and then 8 (but they were a top 10 team by the time we played them). So it's like we played 10, 2, 5, 2, 1, 3.

The pre-tournament and actual probabilities lined up extremely well.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure you need the "arguably" qualifier. Napier was the most valuable player in the tournament but that was truly some lightning in a bottle stuff with that team.
This team might be better in a lot of spots but guards matter in March. Put Bazz and Boat on this team it’s prob fighting for a #1 seed

Reaction Score
Kemba and Napier were cold blooded assassins. That was no fluke that they won. It was a fluke that the regular season didnt better reflect how talented they were.
It's not that what you said is all that dumb. It's just that, given your posting history, it might take another few years before you post something that actually deserves the following. I need to take the opportunity while I can. So:

Post/handle

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We had the best player in college basketball in 2011. We won 11 straight in win-or-go-home BET and NCAAT games. We didn't lose one OOC game or one tournament game that season.

In 2014, we had arguably the best player in college basketball as well as arguably the best backcourt in the nation. We lost one OOC game that season I believe. In the AAC and NCAAT we were 8-1.

In both Championship runs we had the toughest path to get there out of everyone else.

It was no fluke

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Is it legal for a falookie! to be a forward pass?
yes, any which way was legal. a ball carrier often has both hands on or near the ball, so the most common move was to use 2 hands to strategically flip it up there to a spot that looked unpopulated, and run faster than the unknowing to that spot.
there also was great debate as to the 'triple crown' rarely awarded. the triple crown was if a player was knocked into the building or fence where they meet, and then caromed to the other, and finally landing on the asphalt. 3 points.
we had no field goals cuz nobody was kicking anything to land who knows where elsewhere in the city, unless they were looking for trouble, which was always easy to find. not me tho, i was a freakin gandhi on the playground and streets, since i'd seen way too many times how words became fists, or worse, waaaay too many times.
'is that my moms calling? i got's to go now gents, smell u later...'
that time i got shot by a co2 on the hoops court was most instructional.
just becuz i called a foul, or something like that.
and don't blame us. we learned weird rules from a saintly teacher who managed the afterschool program. playing a baseball-like game on that playground with a rubber ball, and fists for a bat, he would sometimes call out '25!,' against a team for some infraction, like hitting the ball into a neighboring yard, or factory, or too much fighting, which meant their opponent could continue to bat until they made 3 consecutive outs, and not just 3. we mostly thought he did it to cheat for a badly losing team, niceness an all that. i mean, it's not like we couldn't just hop the fence to get it back, but i guess it was a political thing for school management to prevent us reprobates from constantly nosing around someone's yard.
on the udder hand, a nasty dog in that yard seemed to work quite well.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure you need the "arguably" qualifier. Napier was the most valuable player in the tournament but that was truly some lightning in a bottle stuff with that team.

Just avoidance of some here blowing their top at the suggestion. We know how people get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A Met fan I knew hated it when people referred to the Miracle Mets years later. "What miracle?" he would say. "They had the best team that year." So did UConn in 2014.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yes, any which way was legal. a ball carrier often has both hands on or near the ball, so the most common move was to use 2 hands to strategically flip it up there to a spot that looked unpopulated, and run faster than the unknowing to that spot.
there also was great debate as to the 'triple crown' rarely awarded. the triple crown was if a player was knocked into the building or fence where they meet, and then caromed to the other, and finally landing on the asphalt. 3 points.
we had no field goals cuz nobody was kicking anything to land who knows where elsewhere in the city, unless they were looking for trouble, which was always easy to find. not me tho, i was a freakin gandhi on the playground and streets, since i'd seen way too many times how words became fists, or worse, waaaay too many times.
'is that my moms calling? i got's to go now gents, smell u later...'
that time i got shot by a co2 on the hoops court was most instructional.
just becuz i called a foul, or something like that.
and don't blame us. we learned weird rules from a saintly teacher who managed the afterschool program. playing a baseball-like game on that playground with a rubber ball, and fists for a bat, he would sometimes call out '25!,' against a team for some infraction, like hitting the ball into a neighboring yard, or factory, or too much fighting, which meant their opponent could continue to bat until they made 3 consecutive outs, and not just 3. we mostly thought he did it to cheat for a badly losing team, niceness an all that. i mean, it's not like we couldn't just hop the fence to get it back, but i guess it was a political thing for school management to prevent us reprobates from constantly nosing around someone's yard.
on the udder hand, a nasty dog in that yard seemed to work quite well.
'umm, yeah, we good. u can keep it, we'll find another ball....'

Reaction Score
A Met fan I knew hated it when people referred to the Miracle Mets years later. "What miracle?" he would say. "They had the best team that year." So did UConn in 2014.
Every flip of a coin is random, nothing about it is predictable but with so many 5th players and transfers loading the rosters of the top college teams does this make this year less of a fluke? At least through the quarterfinals?
Don't turn your nose down on a fluke, they are good eating!

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I’ve never understood the fluke thing. It’s not like our brackets collapsed in front of us. Some of Tom Izzo’s final four runs were definitely flukes if you look at the seeds they had to play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Pretty much, but there is some genuine appreciation for Kemba.
There should be. Running the table in the Big East Tournament 5 games in 5 days and scoring a record 130 pts and then put the team on his back and sweeps the NCAA with 6 more wins. This with a team that finished 9-9 in the league. Kemba just wasn't going to let them lose. He picked up Calhoun every
day at practice according to JC who was facing the chicken shat recruiting violation woes at the time. Kemba had a big smile on his face through it all. Remarkable performance and went on to a great NBA career as well. I hope he goes into coaching if he has the inclination after he retires from the league.

Reaction Score

If you add up the same % based on betting odds for top favorites Gonzaga, Zona, Baylor, Auburn and another 10 teams in top 20 you'd get way over 100% chance to win it all. Those odds cannot accurately reflect the actual chances of winning 6 in a row, bc 'vegas' needs to make money. Every winner is low probability by definition, that's why its so great.

Reaction Score
There are low probability events and LOW probability events. Like a team that is favored between 55% and 75% in all 6 games would win something like 5% of the time. 2014 UConn was 64%, 39%, 51%, 42%, 26%, 49% = 0.06% according to KenPom's game lines. It's a 100x less likely result.
You're off by a magnitude here. 0.6%, not 0.06%.

Reaction Score
Go to their actual forum and you’ll hear a much different response. Whiniest fan base I’ve ever encountered with a four game history. They loathe everything UConn.

Reaction Score
Whenever someone says either win was a fluke I tell them that it is no fluke that both teams had the best player in the country and each was a pg.
I roll my eyes at people that call championships flukes. Its as stupid as when someone lands "a lucky punch" in boxing.

Reaction Score
Nothing about 2014 was a fluke. Napier played 7 seasons in the NBA, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey all play basketball professionally. That team was loaded with talent.
None of that has anything to do with it being a fluke or not. All teams that win titles have varying degrees of talent. The point is the fluke argument is garbage and doesnt need to be even humored with a response. That team beat some of the best teams in the country on its way to a title. Nuff said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBF

Top Bottom