Quit crying | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Quit crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
His teams have lost 5 times in the NCAA ('84-'86, '08, and '12) and even lost in the first round of the NIT while he was with UConn ('93). If my math is right, Calhoun is officially 23-5 in the first round of non-conference post season Tournaments.

You are actually using 84-86 in your argument? You should have stopped when you said "What does Calhoun's record have to do with Ollie's." That would have been enough.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You are actually using 84-86 in your argument? You should have stopped when you said "What does Calhoun's record have to do with Ollie's." That would have been enough.
I used Calhoun's entire coaching career. He does not become a coaching legend if not for the years he spent in Boston.

Reaction Score
Roll the ball out and play the game. All the other stuff is fodder for talking non heads

Reaction Score
UMass had a much better RPI than us. ESPN had us at 25. That's a seven.
Not sure what RPI you're looking at, but the one I see has UConn at #22 and UMess at #23

Reaction Score
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills

it's just insane to think if Ollie, in his second year, after what he's done with the team he has, with being banned last year, and after replacing arguably the greatest college coach of all time, loses his first game in the tourney that Ollie "should be on the hot seat"

(ugh how do you post gifs directly!?)
mugatu.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Sure UCONN is not in the same position as when JC came in. At the same time, JC had 400 games of Head Coaching experience (and quality NCAA tournament experience to boot). So while definitely not apples to apples, but not entirely unfair either.

To Palatine's argument: what young coach in America is going to compare favorably to JC? It's a stupid comparison. The guy's a legend.

Reaction Score
You're lying to yourself if you don't think that KO losing his first game to a lower seed won't be a big deal especially with Calhoun record in the first round.

It's a 7/10 game that will probably go off with a sub-3 point spread. Relax. You sound dumb.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sure UCONN is not in the same position as when JC came in. At the same time, JC had 400 games of Head Coaching experience (and quality NCAA tournament experience to boot). So while definitely not apples to apples, but not entirely unfair either.

My point concerned specifically his the using the years 84-86 as examples of JC losing in the first round. True, I guess (although he did win the play-in game in 84). But his teams were 13 and 14 seeds. How does that even apply here?

Husky25

Reaction Score
My point concerned specifically his the using the years 84-86 as examples of JC losing in the first round. True, I guess (although he did win the play-in game in 84). But his teams were 13 and 14 seeds. How does that even apply here?

You can address your concerns about the validity of my post to me, thank you (BTW where am I materially incorrect?). I already explained my reason. I chose not to cherry pick stats at this point. That is it. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things concerning Kevin Ollie?

No. It's an unworthy nitpick on your part. You can do so much better...;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can address your concerns about the validity of my post to me, thank you (BTW where am I materially incorrect?). I already explained my reason. I chose not to cherry pick stats at this point.

By citing only 84-86, you actually did cherry pick stats. You left out JC's 1st 2 NCAA appearances in 1981 and 1982 where he won twice as an 11th seed.

Reaction Score
You're lying to yourself if you don't think that KO losing his first game to a lower seed won't be a big deal especially with Calhoun record in the first round.

Calhoun is a HOF coach! How can you compare the two at this stage!?!

And with our new AP ranking, 18, how does that justify seeding now?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How did this morph into a referendum on Kevin Ollie? He's done an excellent job, and will keep getting better. He's been outcoached a few times, but so was Calhoun. His recruiting has been superb.

Look, I'm pissed about the seed, not because it makes any difference in our odds to win, but because between the conferences and the NCAA UConn has kicked in the nuts, stabbed in the side, tased, pepper sprayed and with the APR scam, they shot us. It's enough already! But UConn keeps getting up, and so this lower seed was just their way of throwing a chair at us to slow us down. If we have to get through this tournament as a freaking zombie university, that's what we're going to do. And again, and again and again...relentless.

Husky25

Reaction Score
By citing only 84-86, you actually did cherry pick stats. You left out JC's 1st 2 NCAA appearances in 1981 and 1982 where he won twice as an 11th seed.
I didn't though. I included those wins in the 23-5 stat.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How did this morph into a referendum on Kevin Ollie? He's done an excellent job, and will keep getting better. He's been outcoached a few times, but so was Calhoun. His recruiting has been superb.

Palatine

Reaction Score
KO is 46-18 as a head coach. Thats a .719 winning percentage. There will be no hot seat for KO. We are very fortunate to have him long term.

The only thing that counts is March. He needs to have them ready. They need to play well.
Calhoun is a HOF coach! How can you compare the two at this stage!?!

And with our new AP ranking, 18, how does that justify seeding now?
Because JC kept winning his first game at the Northwestern. That compares to where Ollie is in his career now.

If you don't think Ollie should win on Thursday, just say so.

I think he should (and will) win.

Reaction Score
Why are we arguing about to enter this Tourney after a one year absence. Pal thinks Ollie should be fired if we lose, so what the only ones paying attention to his statement are fellow yarders.

Can we get some mojo working please? St Joe's won't be a walk in the park, as we are not that great of a team. Call be nervous (not skeptical) but we need to get some mojo going coming off a lose, especially to the same team in a week.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only thing that counts is March. He needs to have them ready. They need to play well.

Because JC kept winning his first game at the Northwestern. That compares to where Ollie is in his career now.

If you don't think Ollie should win on Thursday, just say so.

I think he should (and will) win.

Calhoun went 2-5 in the Tournament while at Northeastern, losing in the first round on three separate occasions. A 10 seed "upsetting" a 7 is not uncommon. Granted that UConn is not a typical 7 seed, as they are 2 seeds too low based on record and ranking. I do think UConn will win on Thursday, but this year's team obviously has flaws. So I just don't believe it is a referendum on Ollie if UConn does not win.

Reaction Score
Why are we arguing about to enter this Tourney after a one year absence. Pal thinks Ollie should be fired if we lose, so what the only ones paying attention to his statement are fellow yarders.

Can we get some mojo working please? St Joe's won't be a walk in the park, as we are not that great of a team. Call be nervous (not skeptical) but we need to get some mojo going coming off a lose, especially to the same team in a week.

You are crazy if you think that is what I said.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So add a win. I don't care...

What are you arguing with? Do you agree with the point or not? The "error" is not material. Do you also get pissed at the Washington Monument tour guide who leaves off the 5 1/8 inch from it's height?

That is the last thing I am saying on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom