Quinnipiac | The Boneyard

Quinnipiac

Reaction Score
Congrats to Quinnipiac for a really fine game. They ,may not have been real underdogs, but they were a 9 vs an 8 and they handled themselves well, playing their own game and waiting for the 3s to start to fall, which they did. No good deed goes urewarded: They get to play UConn next.

The second 8 vs 9 game that I've seen that was a real barnburner. This is a good tournament.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Quinnipiac for a really fine game. They ,may not have been real underdogs, but they were a 9 vs an 8 and they handled themselves well, playing their own game and waiting for the 3s to start to fall, which they did. No good deed goes urewarded: They get to play UConn next.

The second 8 vs 9 game that I've seen that was a real barnburner. This is a good tournament.

I don't follow seeding, but what besides the desire of the SEC and ACC hens in the committee decided to pit 2 Connecticut teams against each other in this manner? What rule would be violated by sending Q to Lexington?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno in his presser was very complementary of Quinnipiac, not only as a basketball program but as a college.

They have come very very far academically in an amazingly short amount of time. And in Basketball, hockey, and more sports maybe? Impressive story really.

Reaction Score
I am so pleased Quinnipiac made it to the second round. This will create a spotlight for CT basketball. Will, Quinnipiac prevail against Uconn. Nol Will they play with fire and all their heart? Yes!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The only bigger win than today's was a 97-point win over Quinnipiac in Dec. 1998. We've played them more recently I think. It won't be 97 points this time, for a couple of reasons.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am so pleased Quinnipiac made it to the second round. This will create a spotlight for CT basketball. Will, Quinnipiac prevail against Uconn. No. Will they play with fire and all their heart? Yes!

Quinnipiac will provide UConn with another opportunity to get the rust off from that long (but very much needed) layoff. Quinnipiac Coach Tricia Fabbri was in the stands observing the game today. She and her staff will come up with a game plan for Monday against the Huskies. One thing we know she won't try to do is "run" with them. Of course they are going to compete as hard as they can for 40 minutes. Regardless of the fact that Geno likes and respects the coach and her program, he must get his team ready for play as they go deeper into the tournament and face stiffer competition as they go, so I expect UConn to pick up where they left off this morning.

UConn is on a roll right now, playing their best basketball of the season. This is not a good time to play them, especially in Gampel. Quinnipiac will accept the challenge, and step out on the biggest stage in program history on one of the hardest floors in the country for visitors to win on. The record numbers UConn posted this morning should stand for decades. I'm stepping out a what I believe to be a very firm limb and suggest that the 94 points scored in the first half is a record that will never be broken.

Most teams would be happy to score that many points in 40 minutes. To do in 20 is unfathomable. The new team record of 140 points in a game will also stand for decades, perhaps for the duration of our lifetimes. We saw history in the making twice in two days, the likes of which we may never see again. This is truly March madness, and the best time of the year for college basketball fans. I have a feeling that an upset or two may be on the horizon in the next two days. It appears to be that kind of tournament. I'm really enjoying it so far. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Quinnipiac!! I can't wait to watch the game Monday. I am UConn number 1 fan, so I will be cheering for them.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac will provide UConn with another opportunity to get the rust off from that long (but very much needed) layoff. Quinnipiac Coach Tricia Fabbri was in the stands observing the game today. She and her staff will come up with a game plan for Monday against the Huskies. One thing we know she won't try to do is "run" with them. Of course they are going to compete as hard as they can for 40 minutes. Regardless of the fact that Geno likes and respects the coach and her program, he must get his team ready for play as they go deeper into the tournament and face stiffer competition as they go, so I expect UConn to pick up where they left off this morning.

UConn is on a roll right now, playing their best basketball of the season. This is not a good time to play them, especially in Gampel. Quinnipiac will accept the challenge, and step out on the biggest stage in program history on one of the hardest floors in the country for visitors to win on. The record numbers UConn posted this morning should stand for decades. I'm stepping out a what I believe to be a very firm limb and suggest that the 94 points scored in the first half is a record that will never be broken.

Most teams would be happy to score that many points in 40 minutes. To do in in 20 is unfathomable. The new team record of 140 points in a game will also stand for decades, perhaps for the duration of our lifetimes. We saw history in the making twice in two days, the likes of which we may never see again. This is truly March madness, and the best time of the year for college basketball fans. I have a feeling that an upset or two may be on the horizon in the next two days. It appears to be that kind of tournament. I'm really enjoying it so far. :cool:
As I often do, I love your post!
You say a lot with excitement and passion but usually don't get too carried away with things as some here do.
Bronx23

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I saw both games yesterday and was definitely impressed with Quinnipiac's toughness. They were down 6 or 7 in the second half and just kept playing and attacking. Finally got the lead and just outplayed Miami down the stretch. Tough, well coached, skilled group.

They lack size and will struggle to stay out of foul trouble. Had a lot of players with 3 or 4 fouls against Miami but managed to get through it. It will be much harder against UConn. My guess is they try zone to clog it up and reduce their fouls. That will leave the three point line open and Lou and Kia will take advantage of that early. Assuming they are falling, Quinnipiac will have to go to Plan B. I don't know what that is, but maybe Coach Fabbri does. She is a very good coach and her daughter is a heck of a player as well.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I saw both games yesterday and was definitely impressed with Quinnipiac's toughness. They were down 6 or 7 in the second half and just kept playing and attacking. Finally got the lead and just outplayed Miami down the stretch. Tough, well coached, skilled group.

They lack size and will struggle to stay out of foul trouble. Had a lot of players with 3 or 4 fouls against Miami but managed to get through it. It will be much harder against UConn. My guess is they try zone to clog it up and reduce their fouls. That will leave the three point line open and Lou and Kia will take advantage of that early. Assuming they are falling, Quinnipiac will have to go to Plan B. I don't know what that is, but maybe Coach Fabbri does. She is a very good coach and her daughter is a heck of a player as well.
Plan B is to get a key for the UConn locker room and lock them in the room and win by forfeit :rolleyes:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
UConn isn’t likely to lose to Quinnipiac, but it IS possible. As my former stat prof reminds, “If you flip a nickel enough times, it will eventually land on its edge.” Think about this: In our own lives, how many times has the impossible thing happened?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn isn’t likely to lose to Quinnipiac, but it IS possible. As my former stat prof reminds, “If you flip a nickel enough times, it will eventually land on its edge.” Think about this: In our own lives, how many times has the impossible thing happened?
1980 Lake Placid.

Reaction Score
Geno in his presser was very complementary of Quinnipiac, not only as a basketball program but as a college.
Just a "Q" tip here...:D In 2000 Quinnipiac went from being a college to a University...The school does not date back as far as many but a very interesting history however. Quinnipiac University - Wikipedia

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

no it actually isn't - you could flip that coin until it wears out and the results would be the same every time.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
no it actually isn't - you could flip that coin until it wears out and the results would be the same every time.

Same? I don’t think so. I have run a good many computer “coin flip” simulations, and the results are seldom the same. While the percentages reliably approach 50-50 after a thousand flips, the raw numbers don’t repeat. They aren’t equal as to heads and tails within a given trial, and they aren’t equal from one trial to the next.

The original example specifies a nickel, as it has a smooth edge. It CAN be made to stand on edge, and thus for every flip, we have three possibilities, not just two. But common sense should instruct the the flipped nickel will ALMOST always be a head or a tail. The point here is contained in the word “almost.” So, how many times in 100 would UConn defeat Quinnipiac? When we say “100,” we erroneously disallow a possible upset of all times. Ask the fans of the Virginia Cavaliers about that bit.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Wrong, I have seen it land on its side, so the saying is true.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"That Quinnipiac is bringing a certain moxie to the court is probably good for both sides. The Huskies, coming off an 88-point victory over St. Francis (Pa.), could use a solid barometer for how it’s playing. Quinnipiac, which won two games in last season’s NCAA Tournament, opened Saturday by pulling away in the fourth quarter for a 14-point victory over Miami, its 23rd victory in a row."

Geno Auriemma Responds To Criticism Of Blowout, Expects Challenge From Quinnipiac

I do so hope so, because

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

"She's a real potty mouth."I think Fabbri might be Auriemma's female bball doppleganger.

It really sucks that she was stuck in the same bracket. I would have really liked to see them go deeper in the tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is truly March madness, and the best time of the year for college basketball fans. I have a feeling that an upset or two may be on the horizon in the next two days. It appears to be that kind of tournament. I'm really enjoying it so far. :cool:

My "gut feeling" was correct. Sunday Tennessee and Maryland lost. Monday Florida State and Ohio State lost. All except Maryland lost to higher seeded teams.

At least 3 of the 4 #1 seeds will lose at some point in the tournament, which one will be the first? Miss St to NC St, Louisville to Stanford? or Notre Dame to Texas? Unless you're an extremely optimistic Duke fan, I don't think anyone here in the yard believes Duke will beat UConn Saturday. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
My "gut feeling" was correct. Sunday Tennessee and Maryland lost. Monday Florida State and Ohio State lost. All except Maryland lost to higher seeded teams.

At least 3 of the 4 #1 seeds will lose at some point in the tournament, which one will be the first? Miss St to NC St, Louisville to Stanford? or Notre Dame to Texas? Unless you're a a extremely optimistic Duke fan, I don't think anyone here in the yard believes Duke will beat UConn Saturday. ;)
I think I would be most concerned about Stanford. While I think Jeff is a very good coach, Tara is amongst the elite, and has Stanford playing really well. I'd be a bit surprised if Notre Dame loses to Texas again as MM is also amongst the best. Texas though has lots of talent and may have a shot if everything goes just right for them. I can't see MS losing to NC state. And agree that Duke best scenario is to keep the game mildly competitive maybe for a half, and that's a stretch.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom