Quinnipiac 89 Columbia 87 | The Boneyard

Quinnipiac 89 Columbia 87

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac bounced back from its 21-point loss to Lafayette to beat Columbia tonight on Columbia's home court. Quinnipiac goes to 2-6 on the season.

Further commentary censored.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yea, our performance was bad.

Reaction Score
Dunleavy was a great hire. Feel for Tom Moore but he landed in a great spot at least

Reaction Score
Columbia was an 11 point favorite, so oh f it I cannot defend it

Reaction Score
But UConn had flown back from the west coast 3 days earlier. On a commercial flight no less. They were in no condition to play a game that day. I'm giving them a pass for that one. The head coach did too.

Reaction Score
But UConn had flown back from the west coast 3 days earlier. On a commercial flight no less. They were in no condition to play a game that day. I'm giving them a pass for that one. The head coach did too.
Heard about this team one time that had to go through the crucible of 5 games in 5 consecutive days. Surprised it didn’t kill them.

Reaction Score
I watched this game tonight, diligently trying to detect what separates UConn what mid-majors of this quality. I'll tell you -- I would not trade Adams, Larrier, Vital or Diarra for anyone I saw on the court tonight. From the standpoint of athleticism, it's night and day. Neither of these teams has a rim protector, neither has an aggressive rebounder, neither has a break-down guard. But both teams can shoot threes, both shot over 50% from the field, and Quinnipiac made one NBA-length three after another. In retrospect, UConn played a good defensive game against Columbia, but its inability to make open shots was sorely exposed. In the end, the inability to put the ball in the basket can offset a major advantage in athleticism.

Reaction Score
Sand...meet...head.

Everyone gets a trophy. Everyone gets a pass.

Reaction Score

I get over wins very quickly -- don't think there is anything to get over-- but kids that age can't use flying coast to coast commercial as an excuse three days later. Please. The next day, yes, but not three days

Reaction Score
But, but... they were tired from the trip, can’t recruit in the AAC, no rim protector, no shooters, No Gilbert, all those players transfered, if only the Gampel had a full crowd, the team is young.

Did I miss any?

Reaction Score
Actually I do know that we beat Columbia, and I, as well, recover quickly from the trauma of winning. But, please, take a moment to scan this year's schedule; then assume that we continue to play as we did against Columbia (and Monmouth); then, if you would, identify for me the ten additional wins it will take to have a .500 season. I try, but I can't do it.

Reaction Score
Or.....or, we play the way we played against Mich St. How many wins do you see then?

Young team will inconsistent early. I want to see what they look like in early February.

Reaction Score
Actually I do know that we beat Columbia, and I, as well, recover quickly from the trauma of winning. But, please, take a moment to scan this year's schedule; then assume that we continue to play as we did against Columbia (and Monmouth); then, if you would, identify for me the ten additional wins it will take to have a .500 season. I try, but I can't do it.

There are 9 games that, in my opinion, we definitely should (lol) win:

Coppin St. x1
ECU x2
Tulsa x2
Temple x1
USF x1
Memphis x1
Tulane x1

There are 3 more that I think we have a decent shot at winning:

Cuse
UCF
@Memphis

Then maybe 1-2 unexpected wins out of the pool of:

SMU
@Houston
Zona
Cincy
WSU

That's my best case scenario at the moment. Would put us in the 18-20 range, depending. I can't get much further than that right now, and am probably even reaching as is.

Reaction Score
I wish I didn’t agree with you. If we fight, scratch, claw and shoot better we can be in and win many of those games. If not we will see a bunch of 15-20 point losses, especially if we mail it in.

Reaction Score
I watched this game tonight, diligently trying to detect what separates UConn what mid-majors of this quality. I'll tell you -- I would not trade Adams, Larrier, Vital or Diarra for anyone I saw on the court tonight. From the standpoint of athleticism, it's night and day. Neither of these teams has a rim protector, neither has an aggressive rebounder, neither has a break-down guard. But both teams can shoot threes, both shot over 50% from the field, and Quinnipiac made one NBA-length three after another. In retrospect, UConn played a good defensive game against Columbia, but its inability to make open shots was sorely exposed. In the end, the inability to put the ball in the basket can offset a major advantage in athleticism.
I think that's the issue that is perplexing. There is definitely talent on this team but it's rather inexperienced and hasn't played together very much. So the question now is could they get a lot better by February? It's possible. We will see.

Reaction Score
Dunleavy was a great hire. Feel for Tom Moore but he landed in a great spot at least
Moore was also viewed as a great hire, but things didn't out as well as many hoped. Maybe Dunleavy will prove to be a great hire, but he'll need to build the resume and prove it with a good record over at least a few years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I figured but had to play it safe. You know how it is. Just some joshin’ between Yarders

And in an amusing coincidence, @HooperScooper 's post was a play off his own argument in another thread. I backed him there with the exact same sarcastic bit you did (the 5 in 5 thing). Kinda funny actually.

His post:

Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and its roster is ‘not that talented’

My Reply:

Sean Miller says Arizona’s effort is ‘terrible’ and its roster is ‘not that talented’

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think that's the issue that is perplexing. There is definitely talent on this team but it's rather inexperienced and hasn't played together very much. So the question now is could they get a lot better by February? It's possible. We will see.

It can't really shoot though. Especially from three.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom