Quick Thoughts | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rodney had 7 assists. Last year he had four games with 3 assists. That was his career high. The kid has made a substantial leap in his awareness and his composure. Also, 3 point shooting.

Jalen also made a leap in awareness and composure as well. It took him 2 games. Very impressed with his vision, and how the ball never sticks to his hand.

My favorite lineup is with Jalen, Sterling, Rodney, Daniel and Shonn. I think KO also realizes this is our best lineup. Brimah will be the key player when we play teams that can penetrate, but with a 3 point shooting team like Furman, its not like we are losing anything on the boards. And the offense is devastating.

This is the first time since 2009 that I am fully comfortable against a zone defense. I will gladly take 30 3 point attempts if they are all open. We haven't had a squad in years where we had 3-4 playmakers on the floor at the same time and our zone offense often resorted to ball screens for a transcendent ISO scorer.

There were obviously some lulls in this game but most of those occurred with 4 bench guys on the floor. I don't think we will be seeing these rotations vs. Michigan.

Go football team.

Reaction Score
Rodney had 7 assists. Last year he had four games with 3 assists. That was his career high. The kid has made a substantial leap in his awareness and his composure. Also, 3 point shooting.

Jalen also made a leap in awareness and composure as well. It took him 2 games. Very impressed with his vision, and how the ball never sticks to his hand.

My favorite lineup is with Jalen, Sterling, Rodney, Daniel and Shonn. I think KO also realizes this is our best lineup. Brimah will be the key player when we play teams that can penetrate, but with a 3 point shooting team like Furman, its not like we are losing anything on the boards. And the offense is devastating.

This is the first time since 2009 that I am fully comfortable against a zone defense. I will gladly take 30 3 point attempts if they are all open. We haven't had a squad in years where we had 3-4 playmakers on the floor at the same time and our zone offense often resorted to ball screens for a transcendent ISO scorer.

There were obviously some lulls in this game but most of those occurred with 4 bench guys on the floor. I don't think we will be seeing these rotations vs. Michigan.

Go football team.

1) Agree with you on Rodney. He has definitely taken his game up a notch especially with his passing, and its not just his assist numbers but he is very unselfish and the ball very rarely sticks to his hand for long, he is constantly moving the ball around. So huge for the team for a guy who could have been labeled the alpha dog coming into the season to be playing so unselfish and that type of unselfish attitude is also contagious and shows on this team.

2) Agree with you on Jalen as well. Very impressed with his whole game and as you said especially his vision.

3) Same on this; thats my favorite lineup and I hope we see it more and I expect we will if Miller continues to play this well against the zone. We will see a lot of zone throughout the season; we are too talented.

4) This is the only point I disagree with you. I thought we shot too many 3s even against the zone. When we have a forward like Hamilton who is such a good passer and has such a feel for the game we can bust the zone by feeding him in the four hole and letting him do his magic. Also our guards are very talented and athletic they can penetrate in the zone and have the zone collapse on them which leaves 1 or 2 guys open but those guys can position themselves within the arc and can shoot an open mid range shot or be able to catch the ball when open and attack the rim.

5) Agree with you on this I think the rotation will tighten up from now on.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Break out game for JA. Agree on Purvis too.
Miller just continues to impress. Great moments from Enoch & Facey.
Even a big play from Jr.

So far, so great!

Reaction Score

He looks like a different player. A lot of times you hear about how so-and-so locked himself in the gym for the summer and they come back marginally improved but basically the same guy. In his case the results of his work just jump off the screen. And not just the physical stuff but he's seeing the game on a much higher level than he was last year.

Reaction Score
Was called a "punk" and a "moron" a week ago for suggesting that Ollie must not settle for Gibbs and Brimah when he has Adams and Enoch to call on.

Adams today in 21 minutes: 14 points, 6 assists
Gibbs today in 28 minutes: 6 points, 1 assist

Enoch today in 6 minutes: 4 points, 4 rebounds (repeat, SIX minutes!)
Brimah today in 21 minutes: 4 points, 5 rebounds

Watching Enoch turn and power to the basket makes you salivate for what this team might be. Kills you to watch those six first half offensive rebounds by Furman with Enoch on the bench. The danger with the small-ball lineup many suggest is that it turns this team into a Villanova. It can be so much better than that. If Enoch is still sitting on the bench in March, this team has lost a grand opportunity.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Was called a "punk" and a "moron" a week ago for suggesting that Ollie must not settle for Gibbs and Brimah when he has Adams and Enoch to call on.

Watching Enoch turn and power to the basket makes you salivate for what this team might be. Kills you to watch those six first half offensive rebounds by Furman with Enoch on the bench. The danger with the small-ball lineup many suggest is that it turns this team into a Villanova. It can be so much better than that. If Enoch is still sitting on the bench in March, this team has lost a grand opportunity.

You're a punk and moron for using one game against a cupcake from the Big South as your sole proof that you're right. Have you ever taken a basic statistics class? If not, familiarize yourself with the concept of sample size and get back to us.

Reaction Score
You're a punk and moron for using one game against a cupcake from the Big South as your sole proof that you're right. Have you ever taken a basic statistics class? If not, familiarize yourself with the concept of sample size and get back to us.
Sorry, at my age, I haven't time to wait for an adequate sample size. Besides, I've seen enough games (first UConn game in 1954) to have learned a few things I don't need to learn again. I don't care to see a UConn team ever again schooled by a DeJuan Blair.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You are ignoring what Gibbs and Adams did in 2/3 of our games.
That said, let the best players play. But you can't make that argument yet.

Reaction Score
There have been times where everyone on the team has played well. But i tend to agree that adams and enoch are better players in the long term than gibbs and brimah. Long term may not unclude this year, but they are better pro prospects. So if you assume that adams will be better than gibbs someday and you assume enoch will be better than brimah someday then it is possible that someday will be this year.

Reaction Score
Singling out gibbs is not fair. I think adams will be better than purvis, dham, gibbs and everyone else on the team someday

Reaction Score

Why didn't you post Adams and Gibbs statlines after the first 2 games? If this is going to be your thing, sitting on your hands when Gibbs/Brimah play well, but then posting with glee when things flip in another game, then you need to be called a moron more often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our guards and miller are very good. If we can get any production out of our bugs we will be money-

Reaction Score

You shouldn't be called a punk or moron by anyone at all ever. It lacks respect. We are all allowed our opinions, even if other people don't share them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Go football team.

At the risk of sounding like sphynx, people were scoffing at me for calling RP a playmaker. He's showing more than I anticipated too.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Rodney and Gibbs have insane range, which is doing a tremendous job of spreading the defense much wider and opening up lanes, especially to penetrate to the rim.

Reaction Score

Gibbs did little because he didn't have to just let the game play out as it is. He is allowed to be off on occasion and this would be the first one if he even was. He's a really good player and anyone not seeing that is, well, not very bright when it comes to basketball.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gibbs and Brimah should be on the bench behind Enoch and Adams? Good gravy.

Funny thing is, these two are actually IDEAL for bringing off the bench. Young, very athletic, high energy, upside guys. They provide a great spark against the other teams 2nd unit or if UCONNs front line happens to struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom