Quick thoughts | The Boneyard

Quick thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was a no-win situation for us, so I'm glad that game is over and done with. This is a team that has, obviously, struggled to get much separation on the scoreboard this year, even in the exhibitions. All in all that was about the way I expected the game to go. Brief observations/concerns/hopes:

- These last two games have not been Brimah games. Never have been. Teams that are able to spread the floor with five shooters and remove him from the rim tend to chase him off the floor in a hurry. Last night, he was mostly good, but he still blew a couple close-outs and was beat for a couple rebounds (it's worth noting that teams that force him to hedge high exacerbate his rebounding limitations because he does not have inside position).

You'll notice that when Chaminade brought in that stiff, Pollard, KO countered with Brimah and he played well. Down the stretch he did not see the floor which was probably something he would have adjusted to earlier if he gave a damn about this game. That first foul though, was like a car crash. I don't think he's ever going to learn.

- The perimeter defense is bad. The rotations are in shambles, but they usually are at this point in the season. What's inexcusable is the horrific close-outs from basically everybody - put a hand up.

- Enoch is beaming with potential but he's probably the fourth best big on the team right now.

- We ran a lot of traditional UConn stuff in the second half to free Rodney. Kid is clearly at his best operating off the ball.

- Jalen has been special for the last three halves. His statline undersells how dominant he was. Could have gotten 40, easily, if he wanted to. He's still probably going to struggle against good defenses, but what I've loved about Jalen, from day one, is his body control. Spectacular body control, plus plus finishing ability. Watching him finish at the rim compared to Purvis is night and day. He's got some Kyrie to him.

- Biggest positive I take out of these last two games is the play of Durham. Kid can move his feet very well, he has good shot blocking instincts, and he's actually guarding ball screens better than any of our other bigs. More on him in a second.

- Facey is a good situational player. He can be a disaster in the two-big alignments, but in a game like that he brings value, moreso than Brimah. Should only be used at the five, IMO.

- I don't think the Larrier injury impacts the team as much as people think. Very promising player, and I feel for him if he can't return, but there's a difference between a guy who puts up stats and guys who are winning players. He wasn't a winning player yet, which brings me to my last point:

- This season has been an unadulterated disaster for the most part, there is no way around it. But there are still lineups that have had some success, and the coaching staff isn't blind to that. The Gilbert-Adam-Purvis/Vital-Larrier-Brimah lineup posted good +/- numbers early on, and since we've experienced some success playing Durham at the four alongside Brimah.

It's going to be about match-ups with this group. If it becomes a compact type game, with a traditional two in, three out alignment, I like the way we stack up in certain lineups. Then it becomes a game of shot blockers, guards, and who can churn out enough open looks on stagger screens. That fits the mold of UConn basketball much more than the s*** against Wagner, Northeastern, OSU, and Chaminade, so although it has been ugly, I will caution that this isn't a transitive property thing. The fact that we lose to Wagner and some other team beats them by 40 doesn't mean we're completely doomed.

Tomorrow, Oregon. They like to get up and down, but they won't stretch you with Kevin Pittsnogle clones at the four and five. If Ollie can not with the rotations too much (which is not a given), it's a game we can win.

Reaction Score
That was a no-win situation for us,

The win, which it should be for these caliber games, is a boost in offensive confidence for Rodney, VJ, JA, SE & CV. But not much more considering the level of comp.

Always an enjoyable analysis, btw.

H

huskymagic

bounding limitations because he does not have inside position).

- Biggest positive I take out of these last two games is the play of Durham. Kid can move his feet very well, he has good shot blocking instincts, and he's actually guarding ball screens better than any of our other bigs. More on him in a second.

- I don't think the Larrier injury impacts the team as much as people think. Very promising player, and I feel for him if he can't return, but there's a difference between a guy who puts up stats and guys who are winning players. He wasn't a winning player yet, which brings me to my last point:

--Champs you made two very astute and important points. First of all we all now know that Jalen is our leader and best player and the team knows as this as well which is important.
--Juwan Durham is our answer at the 4 spot. He should be starting and Kentan and Enoch should only be used at the 5 spot to give Amida a breather or when he is in foul trouble. Juwan like all of our freshman displays high IQ on the court, and understands his role, which is what we have been missing, guys knowing their roles.
--- Your point on Larrier is right on the money as well. He is very talented but not a winning player yet. Vance Jackson fits much better offensively and defensively with the team. Larrier and Alterique going down with injuries sad to say might have been a blessing in disguise. I LOVE what I see from Vance.

Our lineup going forward: Jalen, Purvis, Vance, Durham, and Amida
Bench: Vital, Facey, Enoch.

Reaction Score
my favorite analysis so far.

durham at the four has a ton of potential. he is SO long (i can't believe they don't list him at 7' -- he has to have at least 3-4 inches on facey) and i haven't screamed louder this season than when he hit that open three-pointer. some good blocks in this game too.

Reaction Score
I'm very encouraged with Durham. I haven't been watching that closely, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't loooked like he has been hesitant with his knees.

Reaction Score
I'm very encouraged with Durham. I haven't been watching that closely, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't loooked like he has been hesitant with his knees.

I think he's looked a little methodical and stiff at times but it will come as he gains more confidence in his knees.

Reaction Score
In my opinion it's ridiculous to say the loss of Larrier isn't huge. He was three games in after a year break from the game and still averaging 17/7/2.5. He wasn't ready to be a winner yet because he didn't get the time. There's a reason why he's on draft boards already...

I am astounded at Adams ability to finish as well... with his right. He has got to adjust when tougher defenses force him to his left. Last year he did not and his percentages tanked the second half of the season. If he does, watch out, he may actually be our next All-American guard. Very different than Kyrie though--he's using his length and fluid stride, Kyrie uses an out of this world handle. I'd put Jalen more in a Damien Lillard (without the 3pt shot) camp, but that's just me.

Otherwise were on the same page. Solid analysis champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom