Quick thoughts on the game | The Boneyard

Quick thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
1. That was probably the 2nd worst game we've played all tournament long, though that has more to do how duck*ing well we played games 2-5 than anything else.

2. Interior defense held up well. There were a lot of fouls -- most of them justified -- but UK had to earn everything they got. UK's poor shooting night from the free throw line ultimately doomed them.

3. UK's gameclock management on our last offensive possession virtually guaranteed that UConn would win this game. How the hell do you not foul someone as soon as that ball is inbounded?

4. Dear Louisville fans living vicariously through us: **** off. We're a better team AND program than you, and your wins over us this year mean as much as SMU's wins do. Enjoy being the 2nd best program in your own state.

5. Napier looks uncharacteristically rattled at times with his ballhandling, but hit a million big shots and played smothering defense. The Harrison twins rarely were able to utilize their size advantage tonight.

6. GREAT game by Boatright, both sides of the ball. He forced a ton of turnovers early and was efficient with his shooting. He was one of the best players on the floor.

7. I used to respect Calipari until his team refused to stay on the court to shake hands. Go to hell, and thanks for losing to us during the last three NCAA tournaments we have played you in.

8. Ollie did an amazing job with the X's and O's all tournament long. Other message board can make fun of his public speaking ability all they want: I am convinced we have one of the best minds in college basketball.

9. Giffey was outmatched defensively vs. Randle but did his best and bothered him. He was very solid offensively.

10. If Daniels has even an average day offensively, we win very easily.

We have #4, and with the roster we'll have the next couple of years a fifth national championship is NOT out of the question. Way to go!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I thought we won the game in the first half and managed to hold on in the second half play by play, possession by possession. Huge role player performances by Giff and Kromah and leadership by Bazz and Boat.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't get on them about shaking hands. When the game isn't sealed until the final seconds, the euphoria of the celebration takes over the winning team and sends them off in all sorts of directions. The losing team is either stuck waiting around for several minutes as confetti falls around them or they just let the winning team have their moment and go back and gather themselves for the press conference (losing team goes first while victors cut down nets).

Reaction Score
Bazz was just gassed in the end. But with that said, he (they) left it all on the floor.

Reaction Score
It might not have been a pretty game offensively but it was one of our better games defensively and that is with AB having a bad game. I was at the game and we earned it with our defense by keeping Kentucky guys as jump shooters and not drivers. We had the speed on defense that Wisconsin didn't have to keep Kentucky from driving to the basket. Also, we had Shabazz and Kentucky didn't. The after party was cool and boy I didn't know Khalid el Amin is so short. Lol!

Also, it was funny seeing Shabazz putting his hand on boatright to direct him on offense in the second half.

Reaction Score
This is not our second worst game. Kentucky defense was pretty good and they do have lots of talents. We did not look good at times but we stopped their run when we had to. This was not level 5, but level 6 intensity. Kentucky never overcame our lead.

Reaction Score
This was unquestionably the worst game we played all tournament long. Kentucky was a very solid team and I have no disrespect for the actual players on their team but their bigs absolutely abused ours and once boats ankle rolled they got to the basket basically at will. Beyond that Daniels played very poorly and we were clearly afraid to penetrate after nolan had been blocked/non conversions multiple times. The first 4 minutes of the 2nd half were the worst non @-ville ball I've seen us play all year. I knew the D would keep us in it and contain Randle due to the myriad length/speed/guard mismatches but we just didn't have any aggressiveness offensively in that stretch.

Still though, we were the better team the entire time. We were totally inept at times on the offensive end and still never gave up the lead. Great win and great heart by never giving up with the foul trouble to key players. Doesn't hurt that nap showed he might have the biggest nuts in the history of humankind either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom