Quick takes on Bob Diaco’s Tuesday press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quick takes on Bob Diaco’s Tuesday press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Boyle stuff still makes little sense.

If they were handing the ball off every play what was the risk of playing him?

And unless this pain showed up after the flight where was the walk on QB?

I'm also not sure how one says the offensive line was improved when you have 70 yards in 3 and a half quarters but I've never coached a FBS team do what do I know?

Why would you assume that the first year small walk-on QB would actually be a candidate to get in? If he was, of course he would have made the trip. So why wouldn't you assume instead that a scholarship position player would take snaps there in the case of no Whitmer and no Boyle?

Reaction Score
I would hope that Abrams and DeBerry are at least getting some work in at QB in practice. If God forbid it ever comes to that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would you assume that the first year small walk-on QB would actually be a candidate to get in? If he was, of course he would have made the trip. So why wouldn't you assume instead that a scholarship position player would take snaps there in the case of no Whitmer and no Boyle?

I was going to start a thread yesterday on why we haven't heard about anyone moving to QB from another position full time for the season. Obviously the downside of that is clear but you do have to play the season out.

I guess you can wait to see if one of Boyle or CW actually gets injured first.

If we've heard about non-quarterbacks taking snaps at practice I missed it but I don't know if anyone has asked.

Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread yesterday on why we haven't heard about anyone moving to QB from another position full time for the season. Obviously the downside of that is clear but you do have to play the season out.

I guess you can wait to see if one of Boyle or CW actually gets injured first.

If we've heard about non-quarterbacks taking snaps at practice I missed it but I don't know if anyone has asked.

I have not heard anything. And the press not asking what is the plan is beyond bizarre. That having been said, I don't think the kid from RHAM is like Johnny Mc or the kid who started playing QB at Montclair and then was the backup when Dennis Brown played as a true frosh. They were recruited walk-ons. My belief is that the walk-on QB truly walked on, and given his size and what some here have posted about his high school career I'd be really surprised if he was truly an option.

We know that both Abrams and McQuillan were very good high school QBs and are Division I athletes. There may be others on our roster who could do it as well. I would bet the farm both that their is a plan as to whom the #3 is, and it's not the walk-on.

Reaction Score
The Boyle stuff still makes little sense.

If they were handing the ball off every play what was the risk of playing him?

And unless this pain showed up after the flight where was the walk on QB?

I'm also not sure how one says the offensive line was improved when you have 70 yards in 3 and a half quarters but I've never coached a FBS team do what do I know?
If making sense is the standard, not much you can say about lots of things Diaco has said and done so far. As far as playing Boyle, given the game plan I guess they just didn't feel it was worthwhile to put him in to hand the ball off. Little to no benefit to Boyle and little to no benfit to UConn generally so they didn't do it. Blamed it on a "non-injury." Heck, Edsall used to make up injuries for #44 when he was a freshman and he didn't want Georgia Tech or someone to kill the guy. Inventing a pain for Boyle was probably the same thing. And I doubt the walkon quarterback is ever expected to play. I'd guess they have someone in mind if ti became critical, but they are hoping Whitmer and Boyle are enough to get through the year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have not heard anything. And the press not asking what is the plan is beyond bizarre. That having been said, I don't think the kid from RHAM is like Johnny Mc or the kid who started playing QB at Montclair and then was the backup when Dennis Brown played as a true frosh. They were recruited walk-ons. My belief is that the walk-on QB truly walked on, and given his size and what some here have posted about his high school career I'd be really surprised if he was truly an option.

We know that both Abrams and McQuillan were very good high school QBs and are Division I athletes. There may be others on our roster who could do it as well. I would bet the farm both that their is a plan as to whom the #3 is, and it's not the walk-on.

Kanell's report + Boyle's tweets + Diaco's comments = strange.

Could all mean nothing but for Kanell to say he wasn't present would make one assume the neighborhood talk he heard wasn't non injury pain (which seems to be an invented concept).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One would hope the answer is none. If your head coach is scared to use players for fear they will be injured, you are in real trouble. This is football. It is not chess.
I get your point but UConn is dangerously thin at QB. Boomer Esiason was 7th on the depth chart as a scholarshipped freshman at Maryland. UConn has 2 scholarship QBs and only three players are listed on the roster where QB is their primary position.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If making sense is the standard, not much you can say about lots of things Diaco has said and done so far. As far as playing Boyle, given the game plan I guess they just didn't feel it was worthwhile to put him in to hand the ball off. Little to no benefit to Boyle and little to no benfit to UConn generally so they didn't do it. Blamed it on a "non-injury." Heck, Edsall used to make up injuries for #44 when he was a freshman and he didn't want Georgia Tech or someone to kill the guy. Inventing a pain for Boyle was probably the same thing. And I doubt the walkon quarterback is ever expected to play. I'd guess they have someone in mind if ti became critical, but they are hoping Whitmer and Boyle are enough to get through the year.

Well then isn't the issue how Kanell had any information? If he doesn't say anything not playing your backup quarterback isn't breaking news.

Reaction Score
Kanell's report + Boyle's tweets + Diaco's comments = strange.

Could all mean nothing but for Kanell to say he wasn't present would make one assume the neighborhood talk he heard wasn't non injury pain (which seems to be an invented concept).

One thing that I think is becoming clear is that HCBD has a gag order on his players that would have made HCRE blush. It is a strange story, but an awful lot is coming out of Storrs that doesn't make a lot of sense these days. Because, it appears, that no one but HCBD says anything and he is fine when he is talking rah rah rah but when it comes to clear and concise explanations of things, not so much.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
One thing that I think is becoming clear is that HCBD has a gag order on his players that would have made HCRE blush. It is a strange story, but an awful lot is coming out of Storrs that doesn't make a lot of sense these days. Because, it appears, that no one but HCBD says anything and he is fine when he is talking rah rah rah but when it comes to clear and concise explanations of things, not so much.
1000% correct.

I am all in on the rah rah - the rest is I don't know what as of yet.
And the lack of questions fom local media is baffling. No follow ups or anything. Do your job!!!

Reaction Score

BD may turn out to be the reincarnation of Rockne or Bryant (I would settle for half as good as either), but you are so right, this whole week has been strange to say the least. The current incumbent in Tuscaloosa has the reputation of being a control freak as far as information but BD makes him seem like a flowing font of information. Lets just hope his OJT period as a head coach ends soon.

Reaction Score
I found this interesting:

"Coach is impressed with the Temple defense and said several of the players would make good teammates"

My Translation - Diaco would really like to have Matakevich, the LB who was gift wrapped to UCONN but turned away by P.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I found this interesting:

"Coach is impressed with the Temple defense and said several of the players would make good teammates"

My Translation - Diaco would really like to have Matakevich, the LB who was gift wrapped to UCONN but turned away by P.
And/or their QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate