Quick takes on Bob Diaco’s Tuesday press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Some quick hits from UConn football coach Bob Diaco’s weekly press conference:
1. On losing to South Florida 17-14 on the road last week:
- Diaco was pleased the Huskies were “a wash” in the turnover department for the first time this season. UConn had one fumble, but produced one interception.
- Five plays (3 offensive, 2 defensive) were factors in the outcome.
- Lack of passing by the Huskies was not due to just the weather, but to eliminate things that cause losing.
“It’s a great learning lesson for our team, our young team,” Diaco said, noting the weather and playing in a hostile environment.
2. The Huskies’ offensive line, which gave up 15 sacks in three games, allowed just two in Florida and Diaco was pleased with the unit’s overall performance.
“The front needs a massive amount of work.” Diaco said. “Rome wasn’t built in a day … but they showed improvement.”
3. Even though QB Chandler Whitmer threw just 10 times, completing six passes for 88 yards, the coach was pleased with his performance. Diaco did acknowledge the reliance on the run does take away two of the Huskies’ top weapons: receivers Geremy Davis and Deshon Foxx.
“It’s hard to throw the ball down field when the quarterback doesn’t have the time to,” he said.
4. Tim Boyle is not injured and will be available to play Saturday against Temple.
5. Angelo Pruitt will be able to resume his football career in the spring, but it won’t be at UConn.
6. Coach is impressed with the Temple defense and said several of the players would make good teammates.
“They play hard on defense and special teams,” he said.
7. On continuing to rely on multiple running backs:

“We have three talented freshman backs and Max (DeLorenzo) is doing a great job leading the team,” he said.

Posted on September 23, 2014 | By William S. Paxton
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnfootball/2014/09/23/quick-takes-on-bob-diacos-tuesday-press-conference/

Bonehead

Reaction Score
2. The Huskies’ offensive line, which gave up 15 sacks in three games, allowed just two in Florida and Diaco was pleased with the unit’s overall performance.
“The front needs a massive amount of work.” Diaco said. “Rome wasn’t built in a day … but they showed improvement.”

Ah - no doubt they showed improvement (less sacks) - thats what happens when you drop back roughly 10 times in a games vs. roughly 40 times vs Boise

Reaction Score
4. Tim Boyle is not injured and will be available to play Saturday against Temple.

WTF?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

WTF?
What is your question? Diaco never said Boyle was injured....the announcers of the game did.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Ah - no doubt they showed improvement (less sacks) - thats what happens when you drop back roughly 10 times in a games vs. roughly 40 times vs Boise

The fact that we allowed 2 sacks, given the amount of times we actually dropped our QB back to throw, is startling in itself.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the best decisions a re not the most popular . I wonder how much seeing Casey's career end Fed into this decision. Surprised no reporters inquired.

Reaction Score
You can say a person is injured and is available. In other words, TB was injured but could have played, if necessary. I am sure the fact that he wasn't 100%, the OL continues to expose everyone behind them to injury on a regular basis, and the CC events all played in to it.

I'm more surprised about the Pruitt relevation buried in the middle - last week he was done, now he can play in a few months, but not here. Huh?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
What is your question? Diaco never said Boyle was injured....the announcers of the game did.

What - you think the ESPN announcers just made it up as the game started?
Dont mean to sound snarky. Where would they come up with that?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You can say a person is injured and is available. In other words, TB was injured but could have played, if necessary. I am sure the fact that he wasn't 100%, the OL continues to expose everyone behind them to injury on a regular basis, and the CC events all played in to it.

I'm more surprised about the Pruitt relevation buried in the middle - last week he was done, now he can play in a few months, but not here. Huh?

As well - I expect him to be at BC next spring - ugh.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the best decisions a re not the most popular . I wonder how much seeing Casey's career end Fed into this decision. Surprised no reporters inquired.
One would hope the answer is none. If your head coach is scared to use players for fear they will be injured, you are in real trouble. This is football. It is not chess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Per Twitter recaps:
He said Boyle had some "pain" but it wasn't limiting him.

When did he say Pruitt wouldn't be at UConn?

UConn Football ‏@UConnFootball 2h
HCBD: I look forward to Pruitt being ready to play football in the spring. #RiseUp

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Per Twitter recaps:
He said Boyle had some "pain" but it wasn't limiting him.

When did he say Pruitt wouldn't be at UConn?

UConn Football ‏@UConnFootball 2h
HCBD: I look forward to Pruitt being ready to play football in the spring. #RiseUp

Oh, and wasn't his career over a week ago? I'm thrilled the kid gets another chance if he wants, but do the reporters ask any questions or simply stand around bemoaning why they can't get unlimited access to kids.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Where was this "hostile environment" he was referring to?

If he thinks that was a hostile environment wait until we go to ECU

right!
UConn Friday 2nd-smallest ever for USF home game @JJohnstonTBO reports ...
#USF actual attendance Friday night (11,599 vs. UConn)

You can tell he was the Ladies man back in the day - has all the sayings down pat.

Reaction Score
The sacks are a misleading stat, when it comes to the OL, because they aren't all on the OL. You'd think the reporters covering UCONN would have learned this by now after the years that the evil troll was coaching the OL recently.

Reaction Score
What - you think the ESPN announcers just made it up as the game started?
Dont mean to sound snarky. Where would they come up with that?

And ESPN reported something that was inaccurate

From Saturday:
>> ESPN reported that backup quarterback Tim Boyle was unavailable to play but Diaco said that was not the case. "He could have played," Diaco said. "He is cleared to play. He is hobbled with a lower-leg, I am not going to call it a lower-leg injury but a lower-leg pain but he was cleared for participation but it wouldn't have been prudent to (play him) under those circumstances."<<

MattSchonvisky 12:23pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco on Boyle "Talk was neighborhood talk, didn't come from our team, but Tim does not have an injury, just manageable pain."

But hey... Conspiracy theories are more fun.

Reaction Score
One would hope the answer is none. If your head coach is scared to use players for fear they will be injured, you are in real trouble. This is football. It is not chess.
Well that would be from Bob Diaco the human being not the head coach. Whitmer has a concussion history as well

Bonehead

Reaction Score
And ESPN reported something that was inaccurate?? Imagine that.

From Saturday:
>> ESPN reported that backup quarterback Tim Boyle was unavailable to play but Diaco said that was not the case. "He could have played," Diaco said. "He is cleared to play. He is hobbled with a lower-leg, I am not going to call it a lower-leg injury but a lower-leg pain but he was cleared for participation but it wouldn't have been prudent to (play him) under those circumstances."<<

MattSchonvisky 12:23pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco on Boyle "Talk was neighborhood talk, didn't come from our team, but Tim does not have an injury, just manageable pain."

But hey... Conspiracy theories are more fun.

You used conspiracy theory not me:)
I guess its who you want to believe - I just find it hard to believe that Danny Kannel had nothing better to do down in South Florida than to sit around and make up a story about the UConn Backup QB. You may be right - I find it more plausible that a coach wouldnt want to release details about a player injury or possible disciplinary action.

To each their own - I support HCBD but I certainly wont put belief in every word that comes out of his mouth.

Neighborhood talk - WTF is that???

EDIT - possible that heard leg injury and made the conclussion he wouldnt play - a stretch but ok. But he was right - he didnt play.

Last edited:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
By the time BD rebuilds this program stock prices on tissues will be a million $ a share.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Boyle stuff still makes little sense.

If they were handing the ball off every play what was the risk of playing him?

And unless this pain showed up after the flight where was the walk on QB?

I'm also not sure how one says the offensive line was improved when you have 70 yards in 3 and a half quarters but I've never coached a FBS team do what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom