Quick look at a Hurley practice | The Boneyard

Quick look at a Hurley practice

Reaction Score
From his Instagram:

Screenshot_20181009-153128.png

Reaction Score
Nice.

But, how does it compare to KO's practice ?

It's different because it's not on a cocktail napkin.

Sparknotes version - lots of defense and positioning as well as defensive rotations. Hurley is looking to teach how to guard ball screens, staggered screens and hand offs. Looks like they are working on defensive transition and also some offensive concepts.

The bottom are teams for practice. Blue/Grey/White and the players' initials.

He has three teams for the four on four on four stuff. Two teams for half court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pre-Practice Fist Up?

Reaction Score
Any basketball coaches in here want to explain what the heck that piece of paper is saying?

A lot a lot of competition going on in that practice, also lots of mental stuff as far as defensive rotations and offensive schemes with what i'm guessing is "Fist Up" and 5-0 transition, and half-court execution etc.

Reaction Score
Looking at the 5-5 teams Blue vs. Grey, do we think they are evenly matched, or that Blue is the starters at this moment in time? Tarin Smith, JA, Sid Wilson, Polley, and JC would be a fun line-up, but i'm guessing if 'Rique is healthy as they say he is, he's in there for Smith?

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Looks like a lot of situational drills that are focused on Fundamentals, Pace, conditioning and intensity. Coach Hurley will lay down the law with this practice structure and then practices will become more gameplay specific during the season.

Reaction Score
I don't know how we will perform this season but one thing I do know is that our coach is organized, all in and prepared to the max. He's doing his part. The rest is player talent and effort.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
That’s one thing we can never take away from KO, how automatic the team was in the 14 Tourney. That and defense won them the title.
It felt like they literally went through the entire tournament without missing a free throw.

Reaction Score
Any basketball coaches in here want to explain what the heck that piece of paper is saying?

It's nothing special as far as the actual drills go. What you hold the kids accountable to, and the energy you demand will be what counts... Anyways... From the top

Quote at the top "you habits must match expectations" or whatever. Coaches like to lead off with inspirational quotes. Gets kids fired up. Hurley is probably focusing on changing some team habits right now (duh lol).

Objectives are the focus for the day. You can't coach everything.
- Transition defense: Clog paint, stop ball, find shooters. This tells you something about Hurley's style. Some coaches teach stop the ball FIRST, others to get a body under the basket and then the next man can stop the ball. It makes sense that we would want to get to the basket first. We face enough good guards that can get by anyone 1 on 1, that it's probably a good idea to get to the basket and set up help asap.

- 3-4 dribble limit. Thank god. Jalen must be in tears he's so happy.

- Communication. #1 key on defense. The big men especially need to be leaders in this regard in Hurley's system because the guards are attacking the ball so much. Call out screens, give directions (over, under, hedge, switch, ice, etc).

- Pre-practice Fist up: Changing my mind here... I think I remember Hurley talking about using a "fist up" for a type of offensive set in a coaching clinic I went to. Possibly the warriors set that titletown mentions. Or it could just be an easy signal for the players...

- Communication slides/closeouts: Just working on defensive fundamentals. Closing out on shooters vs drivers, keeping on balance, all of that.

- Shell = man to man defense with no post. Gets the guards in position 1 pass vs 2 passes away in helpside or deny. This is something coaches do every day at every level. Head on a swivel, see ball and man, all that.

- 4 on 4 on 4 shell is a live shell drill. Defense gets a point if they get a stop. Offense switches to defense if they score.

- 4 on 4 on 4 with the offensive focus is the same idea but offense stays if they score. Handoffs + backscreens only is a good way to get the kids to be creative without having to run a set play--even in a good offense 70+% of the scoring is going to come outside of set offense.

That's all I got.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Most likely going over the "fist up" set that they will run.
Golden State Warriors - Fist Up - FastModel Sports
That’s a great set to run for getting shooters wide open looks. It starts with the 3 which could be Polley (shooter) who frees himself by setting a down screen only to get himself a screen for a wide open 3. Plus it allows Jalen to do work in p&r since he’s passing off of that.

Reaction Score
Looking at the 5-5 teams Blue vs. Grey, do we think they are evenly matched, or that Blue is the starters at this moment in time? Tarin Smith, JA, Sid Wilson, Polley, and JC would be a fun line-up, but i'm guessing if 'Rique is healthy as they say he is, he's in there for Smith?

At the beginning of the season coaches generally just try to make the teams as competitive as possible. In a couple weeks there will probably be a team one and a team two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom