Quick analysis on CT high school programs | The Boneyard

Quick analysis on CT high school programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All the programs with staying power are one school towns.
Yeah, occasionally we'll get a Hillhouse or a Conard step up, but they cant sustain.

In southern CT where I live, there are many towns with more than one public high school, and none of them are a power. Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, Wallingford, and others have fielded a good team once in awhile but never could continue the dominance.

Hire a driven coach and build a feeder program! It's hard in a 2 story-town!

Reaction Score
Yeah, occasionally we'll get a Hillhouse or a Conard step up, but they cant sustain.

In southern CT where I live, there are many towns with more than one public high school, and none of them are a power. Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, Wallingford, and others have fielded a good team once in awhile but never could continue the dominance.

... or private schools that draw from multiple towns - Fairfield Prep, St Joe's NDWH, Xavier.

Reaction Score
Southington is a prime example of your hypothesis. Second or third largest enrollment high school in the state. Annually a contender. History of great high school coaches. Two midget football leagues in town to act as a development system, teaching great fundamentals.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree overall but a city like Middletown has two good programs this year in Xavier and Middletown high. I actually think Middletown high will beat Xavier this year for the first time in a number of years.

Reaction Score
I agree overall but a city like Middletown has two good programs this year in Xavier and Middletown high. I actually think Middletown high will beat Xavier this year for the first time in a number of years.

You can't characterize Xavier as a "Middltown" school despite it being located there. They get kids from the shoreline (Madison and Guilford up as far as Old Saybrook) and as far north as Wethersfield and Glastonbury. That's 25%-30% of the entire state.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

CHS! CHS! CHS! Yeah it's hard being in a two high school town, but Conard has a pretty good sports history.

We are almost annually (at least the period between 1985 and roughly 2008) one of the 10 best public high schools in hockey in the state and football has gotten better recently. No idea how our hockey team has been recently, though.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You can't characterize Xavier as a "Middltown" school despite it being located there. They get kids from the shoreline (Madison and Guilford up as far as Old Saybrook) and as far north as Wethersfield and Glastonbury. That's 25%-30% of the entire state.

I agree they pick and choose but still get a majority of their kids from Middletown

Reaction Score

Greenwich is another example of hypothesis. A typical freshman turnout is around 70+ kids. It seems that 25, or so, see it through to the end. This year's 40-seniors started as a freshman team that dressed 93!!(Picture in 2009 "Program") kids. The only problem that I can see, by reading the "Program" and watching games, is trouble getting what some lovingly call "fat kids." This yrs OL averages about 220-lbs. Parents don't let kids eat fun-stuff anymore, I guess.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
As a SHS alum, I'd have to say SHS too. We've gotten the most publicity (negative and positive) over the years thru our football program. Back in the days of Jude Kelley and Bill Mella this team was unstoppable. Hit a rough stretch with Hernandz, but Drury has us back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom