Questions the media should ask Edsall at noon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Questions the media should ask Edsall at noon

Reaction Score
Adding two more would give us 18.... Seems excessive unless...

1.Terry - RS Junior
2.Herring - RS Sophomore
3.Coyle - RS Sophomore
4.Fortt - Sophomore
5.Swenson - Sophomore
6.Swann - Sophomore
7.Brown - Sophomore
8.King - RS Freshman
9.Olaniyan - RS Freshman
10.Lazarus - Freshman
11.Morrison - Freshman
12.Carroll - Freshman
13.Banks - Freshman
14.Lucien - Freshman
15.Paul - Freshman
16.Robinson II - Freshman
17. TBD - Freshman
18. TBD - Freshman
Of the kids we saw last year, Fortt, Swenson, Brown, and Coyle look like they can play. Overmatched at times due to youth, I believe. Some of the other kids we saw are probably going to have to sign for their supper in terms of playing time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of the kids we saw last year, Fortt, Swenson, Brown, and Coyle look like they can play. Overmatched at times due to youth, I believe. Some of the other kids we saw are probably going to have to sign for their supper in terms of playing time.
I'd give them all spring and August to step it up, then if its not getting better, I think we see select Freshman get out there again; Paul & Morrison.
I could see Herring moving to WR where he played well in HS and Swann experimenting as an RB.

Reaction Score
I am sure Edsall is positioning his DB recruiting with an anticipation for potential transfer(s) after spring practices. It always happens and DB seems to be a spot where UConn needs to be generous with recruiting. The Diaco system is so different than the Crocker system that a few guys just won't fit.

Reaction Score
I'd give them all spring and August to step it up, then if its not getting better, I think we see select Freshman get out there again; Paul & Morrison.
I could see Herring moving to WR where he played well in HS and Swann experimenting as an RB.
I forgot Swann. He showed flashes too. He just wasn't physically strong enough in some battles which you expect from a True Freshman. He had a devil of a time against Missouri's SEC athletes.

Reaction Score
Of those three questions, the only one you are likely to get a clear answer on is the last one.

He likely won't know about the center position until at minimum the Spring game if not the summer. And although he might expect at least 1 or 2 more kids to sign in February (i.e., Maloney), the staff might still be actively pursuing other kids in other areas that also didn't sign early. One of the weird little wrinkles about the early signing period is that it will REALLY focus all of the coaching staffs around the country on the select few students who didn't sign. If there are any big names still left out there, the next month for those kids will be non-stop calls, I'm assuming...

I'm guessing he doesn't award schollies to walk ons until after he knows how many kids have signed on. Excluding maybe walk ons who are competing for starting spots

Reaction Score
Multiple knee surgeries in college hasn't been a path to success. See Bennett, Jimmy and Hopkins, Tommy. Wish Crozier well. He was above average when he was healthy. I wouldn't expect anything going forward. Have to recruit like he's gone.

Revisionist history? Bennett clearly didn't reach the potential he entered with, but he started as a 6th year senior and might have been our best OL that year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My guess is that there is one position change this spring and one more at the end of August. As for Hahn, we all know he is not a DB. The staff is lazy with the online roster and I am sure that is by design.

I seem to recall reading Edsall moved Hahn back to DB for the Cincy game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I seem to recall reading Edsall moved Hahn back to DB for the Cincy game.
An insider told me Hahn is suppose to gain weight to be more effective at LB next year. This was recent info...post Cincy game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I forgot Swann. He showed flashes too. He just wasn't physically strong enough in some battles which you expect from a True Freshman. He had a devil of a time against Missouri's SEC athletes.
But the question regarding Swann is; can any of the other DBs on the roster outplay him? And I have a hard time believing that most of these guys, particularly the new recruits, aren't just going to be flat out better.... frankly they better be or we arent getting past 3 wins again.

Reaction Score
You dont think we can get a clear answer on the C position?

I think RE has been crystal clear that he is in favor of the block C. It's the one thing we are all clear about.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Revisionist history? Bennett clearly didn't reach the potential he entered with, but he started as a 6th year senior and might have been our best OL that year.

No. You may be right that he was best lineman his final season but he was very limited with mobility and had plenty of false starts.

I find no fault with him personally or about work ethic. Injuries robbed him of reaching his potential.

Reaction Score
Some of it might be the recognition that they are less enthusiastic about DBs on the current roster. But some of it is almost certainly a recognition that we are going to stick with the 3-3-5 in the foreseeable future and that demands 10 DBs at minimum to be on the 2-deep...
Yup, a double down on 3-3-5 ...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup, a double down on 3-3-5 ...

Well the Patriots are running a 4-2-5 for the last several weeks since losing Hightower. The scheme is fine if the personnel fit. Honestly, any D is going to be in nickel over 50% in the modern game.

My personal view is that the long dismissed hybrid LB/S is now incredibly valuable in modern football. Fast guys at 6’2”+ and 225 or so are ideal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well the Patriots are running a 4-2-5 for the last several weeks since losing Hightower. The scheme is fine if the personnel fit. Honestly, any D is going to be in nickel over 50% in the modern game.

My personal view is that the long dismissed hybrid LB/S is now incredibly valuable in modern football. Fast guys at 6’2”+ and 225 or so are ideal.

Someone get Dana Deleston a few more years of eligibility stat!

Reaction Score
No. You may be right that he was best lineman his final season but he was very limited with mobility and had plenty of false starts.

I find no fault with him personally or about work ethic. Injuries robbed him of reaching his potential.

On that we agree. But I'm still assuming that Crozier will be our best center next year

Reaction Score

I'm ok with it at a pro level and even high level college D because you have extremely fast and powerful players. I agree a 225 pound guy that can run can both cover and run stop pretty effectively. A 195 -205 pound guy in college not so much. They can't effectively rush, can't get off blocks or stuff power backs. We have seen all of this - no effective blitz pressure, big run gashes, missed tackles at the legs and poor cover. I think Crocker's IAA scheme works there because players are generally slower, so the speed edge is magnified even if the guys are physically smaller. A blitz off the edge is much more effective with a slow big tackle. At D1 level, the speed is notched up even with lineman. Any way, as long as it works, it works. This year was a historically bad fail by any reasonable standard. I don't believe Crocker should be around and rewarded for the very worst DC performance in FBS, but stubbornness is Edsall to a tee. Maybe they find the "right players" for it.

Reaction Score
I'm ok with it at a pro level and even high level college D because you have extremely fast and powerful players. I agree a 225 pound guy that can run can both cover and run stop pretty effectively. A 195 -205 pound guy in college not so much. They can't effectively rush, can't get off blocks or stuff power backs. We have seen all of this - no effective blitz pressure, big run gashes, missed tackles at the legs and poor cover. I think Crocker's IAA scheme works there because players are generally slower, so the speed edge is magnified even if the guys are physically smaller. A blitz off the edge is much more effective with a slow big tackle. At D1 level, the speed is notched up even with lineman. Any way, as long as it works, it works. This year was a historically bad fail by any reasonable standard. I don't believe Crocker should be around and rewarded for the very worst DC performance in FBS, but stubbornness is Edsall to a tee. Maybe they find the "right players" for it.
There was nothing about Crocker's 3-3-5 to give anyone hope it would ever be effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom