Questions surround UConn's offensive line. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Questions surround UConn's offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Casey mitigates the fears....

123 ball is out.

Unless of course the new staff experiments with another QB, then all bets are off.
I think the OLine is going to shock some folks around here. Some of these kids have seen the field already, and if reports of Schafenacker are true, he might be the best of the bunch. They have the size and strength, and I trust that Foley will maximize their performance. Couple that with very good playmakers, and I think some will be pleasantly surprised with the results...

IMO. agree with Dan and Mr. Mets. IMO-We are going to shock people. The coaches brought in are going to mesh with Foley and the results will be good. HCBD is not a stupid man and will make sure we do what is necessary (coaches and players) to put the ball in the end zone, including matching team strengths and weaknesses to getting the job done. , . IMHO- All you negative vamps are going to be pleasantly surprised. Sit back boys and enjoy the ride and the process because the show is gonna be good.

Reaction Score
the offensive line absolutely improved at the end of the season last year. Absolutely. and ur lines were not awful pass blocking lines when we had quarterbacks and recievers who could catch and throw. The 2009 team threw the football for over 350 yards twice and over 250 4 times. You don't throw for 380 yards without some blocking. They were obviously a run first team and the line played that way, but they weren't awful pass blockers.

Reaction Score
I have always felt the same. The power game had seemed to never be a problem until the past couple seasons (we know not his fault). But as you said pass protection never seemed to be a real strength.

would tat be because the wr's didn't get open enough or the qb held on to the ball too long.

pass protection seemed to become a problem during coach p' era. i dont recall it being that much of an issue under fhcre

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
would tat be because the wr's didn't get open enough or the qb held on to the ball too long.

pass protection seemed to become a problem during coach p' era. i dont recall it being that much of an issue under fhcre

As much as I liked Cody Endres, that guy seemed to take as many sacks per game as David Carr in his rookie season with the Texans. It was like he was physically unable to throw the ball away. Same seasons, same line, Frazer didn't seem to take as many. QB has a huge influence on sacks taken.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the positive effect Balis will also have on th O line. The guys are loving him too. These guys will be bigger, stronger and faster. Balis is going to provide Foley with better conditioned personnel to mold.

Reaction Score

They haven't had a very effective passing game since the days of Dan Orlovsky. Sure frazer got the ball out and they made it to the Fiesta bowl. But I am talking about having a passing game that moved the football and averaged some good numbers year after year.

Reaction Score

Consider the last 3 games of last year as in the prior 28 under Coach p.
Combination of multiple factors in Prior 28 games under PP
-Walk on QB (Mac).
-Second QB who didn't slide well in pocket
-Third QB Frosh(deer in the headlights) with no experience at this level.
-Bad decision making in throw v. non-throw v. throw away
-Drop backs too deep,
-Injuries
-Poor play calling
-Wildcat nonsense killing QB momentum
-Confusion caused by GDL
Combine the above with lack of Executive management in HCPP allowing GDL to do his thing, it is easy to play the blame game on the o-line.

IMO, all the above went away with
1)Coach Foley putting his system back in and 2) Casey (the son of a coach) at the helm executing and making good decisions with TJ's up tempo.
- Sacks went way down, CC sets a school record in process as does Geremy.

Reaction Score
They haven't had a very effective passing game since the days of Dan Orlovsky. Sure frazer got the ball out and they made it to the Fiesta bowl. But I am talking about having a passing game that moved the football and averaged some good numbers year after year.
Agree with you BNich....IMO, from what I could remember-FHCRE played conservative relying on ball control with a marginally (post Danny O) supportive air game but no game changing ineffective vertical game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice the last little tidbit? Taylor was suspended indefinitely. For as much energy and positivity that Coach Diaco has displayed, I'm digging the Dalton from Roadhouse attitude ("It's my way or take the train.").

I get the distinct feeling that the inmates were running the asylum for the last couple years. Coach Diaco comes in a basically tells them, "You've tried it your way and are 13-23. Let's do it my way."

Reaction Score
The line will be better this year than in the past two, for one simple reason. Foley is going to have them hitting the sleds, early, often, and always. They are big enough, and they will look for contact and hit hard. That's what Foley does.

I agree, hit thes sleds,early, often and always. Check out Alabama work out:

Reaction Score
If you go back and watch the final drive of the ND game a few years ago, their D could barely pick themselves up off the ground. The safet, Harrison something or other (now in the NFL) looked like his back was ready to give out. Would love to have similar dominance in a few years

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If you go back and watch the final drive of the ND game a few years ago, their D could barely pick themselves up off the ground. The safet, Harrison something or other (now in the NFL) looked like his back was ready to give out. Would love to have similar dominance in a few years

One upside about playing a young offensive line is that they get older.

I would love to see our oline maul defenses again in 2 or 3 years and Newsome run for 2k

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but if this years line can't put up at least 20 reps at 225 then they won't be better.

Pro day verified what I'd felt for a long time about our line play in the P era. We didn't have the bulk or strength up front.

May also explain the change in S&C coaching.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but if this years line can't put up at least 20 reps at 225 then they won't be better.

Pro day verified what I'd felt for a long time about our line play in the P era. We didn't have the bulk or strength up front.

May also explain the change in S&C coaching.

I though only Hemmingway was undersized. Other than him, Former "Coach" Pasqualoni didn't do too bad in recruiting guys with "prototypical" size, as was his goal. You are absolutely dead on about strength (possibly add on desire as well).

Reaction Score

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice the last little tidbit? Taylor was suspended indefinitely. For as much energy and positivity that Coach Diaco has displayed, I'm digging the Dalton from Roadhouse attitude ("It's my way or take the train.").

I get the distinct feeling that the inmates were running the asylum for the last couple years. Coach Diaco comes in a basically tells them, "You've tried it your way and are 13-23. Let's do it my way."

And this is why you want a QB in every class. Hopefully this is a short term issue, but what if it isn't? Down to 3 qbs plus Eck. Whitmer gone next year, then you have 2 juniors and a true freshman (I assume). Not good spacing. You can always hi JC or transfer, but that is risky.

Again, hopefully thus is minor.

Reaction Score
as the head line states. Size Matters, Sometimes.
The article was written in 2012 but with last years starting lineup vs. Towson we averaged 6'5".6 and 312 across. Which would have placed around 13th in the County. So just being big is not enough. You need to be strong and fast.

LT - Jimmy Bennett 6'9" 309
LG- Steve Greene. 6'5" 308
C - Alex Mateas 6'4" 315
RG -Gus Cruz. 6'4" 309
RT- Kevin Friend. 6'6" 317

Weren't either last year!

Reaction Score

Diaco and co. have organized things such that in the not too distant future, there will be alumni returning to campus to sit in with current players in coaches in position group meetings and at practices and stuff. Putting together some game film cutups of the offensive line in 2008 and 2009, for the current OL's to watch in position group meetings, while sitting with their alumni bro's that actually did it - I think would be pretty good to start to establish some identity again, and that game, I would definitely put in there.

(i.e. "Here guys, this how Donald Brown got himself in position for a $10 mill NFL contract......the guys that did it are sitting right next to you.....")

Husky25

Reaction Score
The article was written in 2012 but with last years starting lineup vs. Towson we averaged 6'5".6 and 312 across. Which would have placed around 13th in the County. So just being big is not enough. You need to be strong and fast.

LT - Jimmy Bennett 6'9" 309
LG- Steve Greene. 6'5" 308
C - Alex Mateas 6'4" 315
RG -Gus Cruz. 6'4" 309
RT- Kevin Friend. 6'6" 317

Weren't either last year!
I watched every game and in the stadiums for 7 of them. They certainly didn't pass the eye test when push came to shove (literally). What was not clear was the mix between physical tools and desire. I know Former "Coach" Pasqualoni aimed to get physical prototypes, but the Blue chip programs were not going after these kids for a reason (making them 2* players) and it wasn't because they weren't big enough. That is sort of an indication that the coaches in the former regime were missing something or were not properly motivating them.

Reaction Score
I watched every game and in the stadiums for 7 of them. They certainly didn't pass the eye test when push came to shove (literally). What was not clear was the mix between physical tools and desire. I know Former "Coach" Pasqualoni aimed to get physical prototypes, but the Blue chip programs were not going after these kids for a reason (making them 2* players) and it wasn't because they weren't big enough. That is sort of an indication that the coaches in the former regime were missing something or were not properly motivating them.

I am with you. We got this kid from St. Joe's Heshemi, who they will most likely red shirt. He starts for their Bball team and I hear he has quick feet and an attitude. Add some body strength and might have somebody. We also recruited some big tight ends this year and Tommy Meyers last year. Maybe 1 or 2 of these guys will be converted to O line. We need athletes!

Reaction Score
As much as I liked Cody Endres, that guy seemed to take as many sacks per game as David Carr in his rookie season with the Texans. It was like he was physically unable to throw the ball away. Same seasons, same line, Frazer didn't seem to take as many. QB has a huge influence on sacks taken.

Especially when the QB is directly responsible for calling and adjusting his own protection. Sometimes when the QB gets sacked it is his own damn fault for not recognizing it and calling it out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

This game specifically sold me on the punishing run game as a viable identity for this program. We may never recruit a top flight performer at QB, certainly not consistently. Nebraska won a lot of games with dominant running and defense. I recall the Giants did too. A flashy offense is great, but beating the tar out of the opponent for four quarters is just a sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom