Questions on a few calls in UCF game | The Boneyard

Questions on a few calls in UCF game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
**sorry if these questions have already been answered, parts of the game I was in a weather-induced mental fog and I keep forgetting to ask **

1) I believe it was the 2nd half, we kick off to UCF, their returner touched the ball on like the 5 yard line, then he recovered and downed it in the end zone for a touchback. Most of the players on the field thought it was a safety, as did a good part of the crowd. What was the deal there on the touchback call? Is that the rule in both College and NFL?

2) Later that drive, close to mid-field, the UCF QB was hit by a rusher (was it Joseph?) just as he released the ball and got called for a roughing the passer penalty. Did they show a replay on tv that explained the call? Looked pretty clean live.

3) Lastly, on the drive when Newsome ran like 40 yards (was it a run or swing pass, I don't know) and was declared down at the 2 yd line (looked like he made it in), then we were stuff 3 times in a row until we went for it on 4th and Foxx came in to run the read option and hand it off to RJ for the score. We certainly ended up in the endzone a few times, only for the officials to spot the ball 1/2 yard line. Just wondering if those watching at home got to see a good replay of us NOT getting in the endzone to corroborate the calls on the field. Did Newsome get in or did his knee touch and was legitimately down at the 2? How about the next 4 downs?

Thanks!

Reaction Score
**sorry if these questions have already been answered, parts of the game I was in a weather-induced mental fog and I keep forgetting to ask **

1) I believe it was the 2nd half, we kick off to UCF, their returner touched the ball on like the 5 yard line, then he recovered and downed it in the end zone for a touchback. Most of the players on the field thought it was a safety, as did a good part of the crowd. What was the deal there on the touchback call? Is that the rule in both College and NFL? I am puzzled about this as well, I re-watched the game when I got home that night, he made no effort to down the ball as I thought when it happened. He tried to return it out of the end zone so I'm not sure how they can say it was a touch-back. if that's the case the whistle should blow every time a returner catches the ball in the end zone. He did the same thing later when he fell trying to return it.

2) Later that drive, close to mid-field, the UCF QB was hit by a rusher (was it Joseph?) just as he released the ball and got called for a roughing the passer penalty. Did they show a replay on tv that explained the call? Looked pretty clean live. It was Franks and he did deflect the pass on his way in but his hands continued on and made contact to the QB's head.

3) Lastly, on the drive when Newsome ran like 40 yards (was it a run or swing pass, I don't know) and was declared down at the 2 yd line (looked like he made it in), then we were stuff 3 times in a row until we went for it on 4th and Foxx came in to run the read option and hand it off to RJ for the score. We certainly ended up in the endzone a few times, only for the officials to spot the ball 1/2 yard line. Just wondering if those watching at home got to see a good replay of us NOT getting in the endzone to corroborate the calls on the field. Did Newsome get in or did his knee touch and was legitimately down at the 2? How about the next 4 downs? Newsome was down just short of the goal, on the 3rd down try it looked like Whitmer got in but hard to tell.

Thanks!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
there's an earlier thread on #'s 1 and 2 but, the 1st call was hand to the hand -- wasn't hard or deliberate but he did it. Second call, by rule if the ball is touched in the field and it's momentum (as opposed to being batted) carries into the end zone, receiver is entitled to down it. I thought that protection was waived when he took two steps to run it out and never attempted to down it, but apparently I'm wrong. 3 - Newsome's body was upright when his knee hit on the two and then he stretched out -- they actually gave us about a yard on the spot.

Reaction Score
These are great questions and sense I am normally at the game I would be asking the same thing. I chose to stay home and glad I did and got to see of these calls in slow motion and close up on TV. With regard to question one they have change the rule on touching the ball from live ball once touched to the receiver must have control first in order to fumble. Stupid change in my opinion, but that is what it is now the rule. Second question, in my judgment that was a terrible call. The QB was hit as he was throwing and the tackler followed through with his hit with no intent to injure or create a head to head situation. Just a terrible call. Lastly, I was clear on the replays the refs got it right. Each time the knee hit the ground prior to the ball hitting the goal line. Hope this help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom