Questions Hang Over NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

Questions Hang Over NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
At this point with another case surge and seeing how the football season has been somewhat uneven I just hope we are able to have basketball games this year. The tournament being played in a single site could help with some of the travel concerns.

Reaction Score
As sad as I am to say this, I am not optimistic! Difficult to see how they pull off a 64 team tournament with no quarantines/cancellations! Of course, I am praying they can but I don’t know.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As sad as I am to say this, I am not optimistic! Difficult to see how they pull off a 64 team tournament with no quarantines/cancellations! Of course, I am praying they can but I don’t know.

The NCAA is taking this season the only way they can, 4-6 weeks at a time. They can mandate that each conference make a schedule a month to 6 weeks at a time to allow for postponed games if necessary.
I heard on the new this afternoon, that Rick Patino (Iona) is suggesting they delay the start of the season, and move the tournament to May. It would certainly remove the urgency of trying to complete the season with the late start, and would allow to play any games loss (postponed) because of the COVID virus. I doubt it happens.

They CAN have a men's and women's tournament in a bubble. The NBA and WNBA have proven it's doable and will work. A proven protocol has already been established. All they have to do is find venues large enough (and equipped) to hold the tournaments.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I’m going to take this season one game at a time. I will consider every single game the Huskies are able to play this year to be a precious gift.
I'm a little greedy. I will consider every game they play and win a precious gift. I don't consider the games they lose a gift. I can't re watch them.:confused: I grew up a St. Louis Billiken fan and got my fill of losses.:mad:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m going to take this season one game at a time. I will consider every single game the Huskies are able to play this year to be a precious gift.

I'm with you OD. This college basketball season is skating on "thin ice", and the sun is shining. :( The next game IS NOT promised. That is the same way the NCAA and the Big East is approaching it. I hope and pray that all of UConn's scheduled games are played. The Quinnipac game is only 9 days away. A lot can happen between now and then. Things might get better, or they might get worse. Let's hope for the better. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm with you OD. This college basketball season is skating on "thin ice", and the sun is shining. :( The next game IS NOT promised. That is the same way the NCAA and the Big East is approaching it. I hope and pray that all of UConn's scheduled games are played. The Quinnipac game is only 9 days away. A lot can happen between now and then. Things might get better, or they might get worse. Let's hope for the better. :rolleyes:
There are currently 84 positive cases on campus, the highest total since students returned in August. I’m sure UConn WBB is as disciplined as any group on campus, but as insidious as this virus is, I worry about our team all the time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
At this point with another case surge and seeing how the football season has been somewhat uneven I just hope we are able to have basketball games this year. The tournament being played in a single site could help with some of the travel concerns.

Having the tournament in a "bubble" is the only plausible way they can have a tournament, and almost guarantee there won't be any players, coaches or team attendants becoming infected in the interim.
No team wants to forfeit a game and be forced to leave because one or more of their players tested positive for the virus. Can you imagine a team forfeiting the final four championship game because one of its players tested positive?

With all of the teams in one place, it won't take 3 weeks to finish the tournament. Realistically, they can do it in 11-14 days playing every other day, similar to the way the WNBA did. Fourteen days if all 64 teams and the game officials report early, and quarantines for 2-3 days before play begins. Eleven days if they don't. If they allow the family of players and coaches to attend, they would have to arrive 2-3 days early and quarantine also. It can be done.

March is 4 months away. A lot can happen in 4 months, in 4 weeks. Not to worry. NCAA officials have already guaranteed us there will be a tournament this year. Since we have no control over the tournament anyway, let's just sit back, relax and enjoy the games. NCAA officials have everything under control, we have their promise. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would imagine housing 64 teams, staff, officials, etc. is an enormous logistical problem. I'd like to see how the men's side is planning to do it. If they can do it, certainly the women's side can do it.

Reaction Score
According to our county executive, with the numbers we have there is a 14% chance of being exposed to the corona virus if you are in a group of 10 people. Not good.

Carnac

Reaction Score
According to our county executive, with the numbers we have there is a 14% chance of being exposed to the corona virus if you are in a group of 10 people. Not good.

We’ll get a chance to see how a bubble can work at the college level next weekend. The Mohegan Sun Hotel Arena is hosting a series of mini basketball tournaments and showcases. Let’s see if any of the games ar canceled, or if any of the participants (coaches/players/attendants) test positive after the quarantine period is over.

The success or failure of that bubble will be an indication of the plausibility of a workable and effective bubble on a larger scale.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There might be vaccines already given by NCAA Tourney time, right?
Assuming that the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines both receive emergency use authorization approval and begin vaccinations by mid-December, the estimated total number of Americans who could receive the two shot vaccines by March would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 million. The initial priority will be medical personnel, front line workers, vulnerable communities (nursing homes) and seniors over the age of 65. So while Geno, and a good number of Boneyarders, might get vaccinated by Tournament time, the players themselves would not be an initial priority.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aren't colleges very susceptible to getting hit with/ spread the virus? And by that time wont there probably be another vaccine or 2 that becomes available?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aren't colleges very susceptible to getting hit with/ spread the virus? And by that time wont there probably be another vaccine or 2 that becomes available?
Yes, college campuses are susceptible to outbreaks of the virus. But it’s hard to justify giving vaccinations to college students ahead of medical personnel and staff, emt’s, cops, firemen, teachers, agricultural and food processing workers, etc.

There are 6 vaccines currently included in US Operation Warp Speed, 2 each in 3 different platforms. The Moderna & Pfizer vaccines both use the experimental mRNA platform, and they appear to be ready first. Next up should be the Aztrazeneca vaccine. Phase 3 trial results may be completed towards the end of December. If all goes well that vaccine could be approved for use by the end of January. The J&J vaccine has not yet started phase 3 trials. I don’t know where the other 2 vaccines are in their trial processes.

Let’s say we have another 2 vaccines ready to go by January-February. Maybe that gets you another 20-40 million Americans vaccinated by March. Now you’re up to 70-100 million Americans. That leaves 230-260 million Americans still to be vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, college campuses are susceptible to outbreaks of the virus. But it’s hard to justify giving vaccinations to college students ahead of medical personnel and staff, emt’s, cops, firemen, teachers, agricultural and food processing workers, etc.

There are 6 vaccines currently included in US Operation Warp Speed, 2 each in 3 different platforms. The Moderna & Pfizer vaccines both use the experimental mRNA platform, and they appear to be ready first. Next up should be the Aztrazeneca vaccine. Phase 3 trial results may be completed towards the end of December. If all goes well that vaccine could be approved for use by the end of January. The J&J vaccine has not yet started phase 3 trials. I don’t know where the other 2 vaccines are in their trial processes.

Let’s say we have another 2 vaccines ready to go by January-February. Maybe that gets you another 20-40 million Americans vaccinated by March. Now you’re up to 70-100 million Americans. That leaves 230-260 million Americans still to be vaccinated.

Okay-- it just seems to me-- campuses are a virus starter. And unless the idea is to close down campuses - they are going to continue to spread the virus. For example- students get it- teachers get it- other family members get it- public gets it. And how many of the population won't take it?

Whatever-- I don't know.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Okay-- it just seems to me-- campuses are a virus starter. And unless the idea is to close down campuses - they are going to continue to spread the virus. For example- students get it- teachers get it- other family members get it- public gets it. And how many of the population won't take it?

Whatever-- I don't know.
I’m 65 and my wife is 66, and we both plan to get the vaccine as soon as we can. It’s been months since we’ve seen our son, his wife and our soon to be 3-yr old grandson in person, and we don’t want that situation to last a single day longer than it has to.

Reaction Score
Moderna hasn't had anything approved through the FDA yet ever. This vaccine would be first.

Reaction Score
Play the 4 regionals in bubbles as teams lose they leave right away to go home. With only 16 teams in these bubbles it should be more manageable. Then you play the FF like it was planned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Moderna hasn't had anything approved through the FDA yet ever. This vaccine would be first.
Yea, Moderna’s CEO is something of a car salesman. But their Chief Medical Officer is a really impressive guy, who appears to know what he’s talking about.

There is a distinct advantage to the Moderna vaccine over Pfizer’s. While both require temperature control, Moderna’s can be stored in any home freezer. Pfizer requires specialized freezer storage to -94 F.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would imagine housing 64 teams, staff, officials, etc. is an enormous logistical problem. I'd like to see how the men's side is planning to do it. If they can do it, certainly the women's side can do it.

Here's an option............Create two bubbles. One in the eastern region, and on in the western region of the country with two brackets assigned to each region. That's only 32 teams in each bubble. A much more workable scenario. Of those 32 teams, the only ones that would have to travel to another site would be the winners of each bracket. A trip (to the final 4) I'm sure neither team would oppose.

In traveling to the other bubble, the teams use a chartered plane provided by the NCAA, so they don't have to mingle with the public. Everyone wears a mask during the flight, and the 2 teams stay separated while on the plane. One in the front, the other in the back. They remain in a relatively closed controlled environment. Air and ground transportation personnel all having been tested for the virus and cleared. Two to three off days before the semi-final games begin to accommodate the teams that had to travel. It's very doable!! :)

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
They should have just made basketball a spring sport this year. Start the season in March, have an abbreviated conference season, and hold the tournament in late May/early June. This is just going to be a mess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom