Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When the day comes that only alumni are allowed at games then you have an issue but as long as your money is just as green and your heart is just as passionate then your just as much of a fan.

Reaction Score
appreciate the inputs everyone...

this came up because my kids all where Uconn gear like it was some handed down religion and we don't even live in CT.
It's funny because they ask me why I'm a fan if I didn't go to the school (while wearing a Uconn FB shirt)...

I see a very expensive decision in the next couple years. Umass in state or Uconn out of state.

Unless your kids can play QB!

Reaction Score
No idea. Who cares? As I said, it doesn't matter. The fans of flagship state universities should outnumber their alumni. I wish UConn had more non alumni fans, and not just women's BB (which is loaded with them).
If I was a betting man, I'd be willing to bet at least the majority of football season ticket holders have not been alumni.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

this came up because my kids all where Uconn gear like it was some handed down religion and we don't even live in CT.
It's funny because they ask me why I'm a fan if I didn't go to the school (while wearing a Uconn FB shirt)...

I see a very expensive decision in the next couple years. Umass in state or Uconn out of state.
Hah, I am about 13 years away from that decision but have been thinking about it. If my kids want to go to UConn, they're going. It's still way cheaper than NU, BU, Stonehill and the vast majority of other local peer-ish schools. It's far enough away that they're truly away from home, but close enough that I can drive there or they can get home in a pinch.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Don't let New Englanders weird you out (or New Yorkers). You're a minority in CT, mostly because ordinary non alumni tend to root/cheer for the local state U occasionally but not regularly. Go elsewhere and everyone in whatever state supports the state U the same as alumni. It's expected and normal. No different than people rooting for the local pro team if there is one.

UConn represents the state of Connecticut. It belongs to everyone in the state. It's is your state University if you grew up in CT. You're as much as fan as anyone.
I have had (Boston area) people ask me why I am such a big UConn fan - it's a curiosity to them because they think everyone is a Sox or Pats fan first and college sports are novelties. People mostly care about the pro sports teams and there is not much in the way of college representation. I was down at the Gaylord Texan some time ago and it was 85/15 college gear to pro. Up here it's 85/15 pro to college. Maybe more significant than that, the Pats dominate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have had (Boston area) people ask me why I am such a big UConn fan - it's a curiosity to them because they think everyone is a Sox or Pats fan first and college sports are novelties. People mostly care about the pro sports teams and there is not much in the way of college representation. I was down at the Gaylord Texan some time ago and it was 85/15 college gear to pro. Up here it's 85/15 pro to college. Maybe more significant than that, the Pats dominate.

Yeah, and NY is the same from what I hear. But then, what college teams do they have? My wife is a Boston girl and doesn't get my UConn obsession. I see Harvard sweatshirts but I don't think those are sports related.

In KC there was loads of support for the Chiefs and for KU and Mizzou. In New Orleans on Sunday, everybody is in gold and black and on Saturday they are in purple and gold. Wisconsin is pretty solid for the Packers and Badgers. But on the whole, the strongest college sports support comes in places with less pro team activity, like Nebraska and Alabama.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and NY is the same from what I hear. But then, what college teams do they have? My wife is a Boston girl and doesn't get my UConn obsession. I see Harvard sweatshirts but I don't think those are sports related.

In KC there was loads of support for the Chiefs and for KU and Mizzou. In New Orleans on Sunday, everybody is in gold and black and on Saturday they are in purple and gold. Wisconsin is pretty solid for the Packers and Badgers. But on the whole, the strongest college sports support comes in places with less pro team activity, like Nebraska and Alabama.

When I first moved to Nebraska, I showed up at church one Sunday morning and thought I'd missed a memo about a funeral. I was instructed afterwards, that if the Huskers lost again, I was to wear black the next day.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Since you've been around this forum since 2012, you're entitled to wear any UCONN gear you feel like wearing, and anything you want to display on your car, house or anywhere else. Putting up with the insanity that goes on here is enough in and of itself to have earned you that right, even if anyone chooses to foolishly ignore any of your other loyal support of Husky athletics.

If I were you, I'd simply tell people you're a huge fan and leave it at that. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Fan is short for fanatic. It doesn't have to be logical or make any sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
grew up in CT but didn't attend Uconn.
Consider myself a solid fan/booster.
Had season tickets for several years. Didn't get tickets this year but still attended 3 games.

Here's my question. Where do people like me, fans but not alumni, draw the line?

I have several hats, and a couple t shirts/ sweatshirts. Unless I'm at a game, always feel weird because I didn't attend Uconn.
Sick of saying "no, didn't attend but grew up in CT and most of my family attended..."

I have several Uconn decals but don't put them on my car. I always feel like those are for those that specifically went to Uconn.

Curious where others draw the line.

You went to three UConn football games this year and you are asking if you can somehow cross a line by wearing UConn clothing?

I don't know if we have a study to reference - but pretty much at Rentschler and XL - the non-alumni outnumber the alumni if you don't include the current students in the calculation.

Wear whatever you want and if someone has the odd impulse to ask why - tell them where you went but it has nothing to do with being a UConn fan.

I'd advise against the stickers on your car - but just because adults shouldn't deal in stickers on cars.

My wife went to Bryant but doesn't ask permission to wear National Flag Blue underpants to games.

Reaction Score
Unless your kids can play QB!
Funny. We joke about his various talents and what might help his admission process. He plays the tuba so i like to point out the sousaphones at the games as inspiration.

Not sure of his passion to stick it out through college unfortunately....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When I first moved to Nebraska, I showed up at church one Sunday morning and thought I'd missed a memo about a funeral. I was instructed afterwards, that if the Huskers lost again, I was to wear black the next day.

I loved seeing the Nebraska fans invade Lawrence, KS. It was just a sight to behold. Pickups, RVs, and cars with red N flags and other decorations, streaming off of I-70 as far as you can see.

But even in Lawrence, on basketball or football game days, everybody in Lawrence working at Walmart, Taco Bell, Sonic or wherever is wearing Jayhawk stuff.

Reaction Score
We can use every fan we can get. As a Coventry native, I was pretty much born a fan. Being an alum may have made me more fiercely loyal, but I know plenty who went who don't care about the sports at all.

The bandwagon has plenty of room for all kinds of fans. You'd be welcome at my tailgate anytime.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I eat, sleep and poop UConn Football, Hoops and Hockey. I have so much gear and chat about UConn so much people just assume I went there. I did...alot....but for parties.
Anyway....most are shocked when I inform them I did not attend classes at UConn. Most don't care. They appreciate my insane support of the University.
Heck...I DROVE from CT to Tampa this year for the USF game to ensure we had a grill to tailgate with.
For me....there is NO line. I am a 3XL. Feel free to send stuff my way. LOL

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

In Dallas, the Cowboys are the great unifier. But people differ on their collegiate alliances. People are passionate about their schools; that's where things get interesting.

Reaction Score
One day my daughter surprised me.

She is my second child and grew up near Albany. The first wanted to stay close to home (and maybe his mother wanted that as well). My daughter applied to a dozen schools - Private + New England/New York State flagship U's. My Dad was a BS/MS UConn distinguished alum -1949; I was 1979. A handful of cousins went there. I didn't grow up in CT and rarely have lived there.

I am a big UConn fan - bleed blue.

She got in most every school; 10 of 12. Tough Private admission schools. Some State U's I've enjoyed. She chose UConn and now goes to games.

Something seeps into you & those around you. It's more than just a school or Team. We do care.

Reaction Score
I'm an '82 grad. Got my masters somewhere else and have not lived in Conn. for over 35 years. UCONN is a special place for me. Grew up a little bit during my time there. Had a blast. Got a good and affordable education and was the first in my family to get a college degree.

Yeah, it's very close to my heart and I am sure always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom