Question | The Boneyard

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
grew up in CT but didn't attend Uconn.
Consider myself a solid fan/booster.
Had season tickets for several years. Didn't get tickets this year but still attended 3 games.

Here's my question. Where do people like me, fans but not alumni, draw the line?

I have several hats, and a couple t shirts/ sweatshirts. Unless I'm at a game, always feel weird because I didn't attend Uconn.
Sick of saying "no, didn't attend but grew up in CT and most of my family attended..."

I have several Uconn decals but don't put them on my car. I always feel like those are for those that specifically went to Uconn.

Curious where others draw the line.

Reaction Score
Had season tickets for several years. Didn't get tickets this year but still attended 3 games.

Here's my question. Where do people like me, fans but not alumni, draw the line?

I have several hats, and a couple t shirts/ sweatshirts. Unless I'm at a game, always feel weird because I didn't attend Uconn.
Sick of saying "no, didn't attend but grew up in CT and most of my family attended..."

I have several Uconn decals but don't put them on my car. I always feel like those are for those that specifically went to Uconn.

I'm not sure what line you're asking about?

Reaction Score
I wear my husky shirts everywhere so does my son, who went to a different college. We answer that we are UConn fans because of my grandson who graduated from UConn. We started going to games because he was in the UCMB. Glad we did. My great niece and her husband attended UConn also.

Fb, mbb, wbb and hockey games.
No season tickets for these though.

Reaction Score
i guess maybe it doesn't bother you.
You're talking about your overall fandom? Jeeze dude I wouldn't worry about it, go look at Kentucky basketball fans or Alabama football fans. The overwhelming majority of their fans did not attend the school. If you're paying attention to UConn football and *aren't* an alum then I have the utmost respect for you. The only reason I pay attention is because I went there.

Reaction Score
You're talking about your overall fandom? Jeeze dude I wouldn't worry about it, go look at Kentucky basketball fans or Alabama football fans. The overwhelming majority of their fans did not attend the school. If you're paying attention to UConn football and *aren't* an alum then I have the utmost respect for you. The only reason I pay attention is because I went there.

Not really measuring my fandom.
Just wondering if other non alum fans had similar thoughts.

Apathy is setting in real fast for football though.

Reaction Score
Not an alum. Married one. I care way more about UConn sports than she does.

I wear hats and Hoosier. But I also wear Mets and Pats gear. When people ask me if attended I say no. Most of the people that ask that are non fans who see things up in your office and stuff.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i guess maybe it doesn't bother you.
I didn't go to UConn but my father, my mother and my son went there.
I've been going to UConn BB, UConn Football, UConn soccer and UConn baseball since 1964. We have had season tickets since then also
My man cave is dedicated to UConn and the Cubs
I don't feel any less a UConn fan than my son or my friends who went there - in fact - they think I'm a fanatic

Reaction Score
I live in Illinois, horrible football as well. Guys I work with are Bama fans, ND fans, Michigan fans and of course Illinois and Northwestern fans. None I know of attended any of those schools. Some have never been to a game. To varying degrees they wear team gear. I never have any qualms about wearing anything UCONN. I mostly get questions about the basketball team, and I redirect to football. Though I didn't attend my fandom for UCONN football has not faded, I just want success like everyone else.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Are you kidding? You're a fan but you don't feel worthy of putting decals on your car because you didn't graduate from UConn?

I'm a UConn grad from the 1980's and I appreciate all UConn fans; whether or not they attended UConn. You're doing more for the school than 98% of the alumni. Your support is valuable; you're a member of our team.

My best friend from high school attended a small, private college in North Carolina and he's a HUGE UConn fan (BB more than FB). We need people like you and him. We don't have enough non-alumni fans.

I've spent a lot of time in Nebraska where I think all residents are legally required to have Husker stickers on their cars and fly Husker flags at their homes. I wish we were like that.

My only suggestion is don't buy an alumni decal ... otherwise, go for it!

Reaction Score
Redding, Nebraska is where I found college football. Read my profile on that. Could only wish the state of CT would catch the fever they have.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Redding, Nebraska is where I found college football. Read my profile on that. Could only wish the state of CT would catch the fever they have.

My ex-wife's family has had Nebraska season tickets since 1962. Nebraska has the most friendly (least obnoxious) fan base of any big time FB program.

UConn BB has a similar following. I wish UConn FB had the same support. It will take success and time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Don't let New Englanders weird you out (or New Yorkers). You're a minority in CT, mostly because ordinary non alumni tend to root/cheer for the local state U occasionally but not regularly. Go elsewhere and everyone in whatever state supports the state U the same as alumni. It's expected and normal. No different than people rooting for the local pro team if there is one.

UConn represents the state of Connecticut. It belongs to everyone in the state. It's is your state University if you grew up in CT. You're as much as fan as anyone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

When it stops being enjoyable. College sports are unique in that fans are part consumers and part sponsors. We support the program and are it's primary consumer.

The balance is different for everyone, so you need to figure out how much from each pot your fandom takes.

Me, I had zero fun after the Syracuse game. Even the BC trip, which was fun as a trip, was ruined by the sheer despair that ripped through the Uconn crowd.

If BD is still the coach, and even if he isn't, the reservoir of good will built up over since 2000, is gone. The energy bucket is empty. BD starts the season with zero goodwill and negative benefit of the doubt. It will get ugly the first time it smells like fish cake at the rent. Any new coach will get a bit more leash but will need to quickly show a clear distinction in quality of play. The program hs backed into a corner that is not easy to fight our way out.

I'd be lying if I said I was definitely renewing if BD is still here. I'm more certain that next season my be my last if I don't stop dreading these meaningless unentertaining games.

Reaction Score
Don't let New Englanders weird you out (or New Yorkers). You're a minority in CT, mostly because ordinary non alumni tend to root/cheer for the local state U occasionally but not regularly. Go elsewhere and everyone in whatever state supports the state U the same as alumni. It's expected and normal. No different than people rooting for the local pro team if there is one.

UConn represents the state of Connecticut. It belongs to everyone in the state. It's is your state University if you grew up in CT. You're as much as fan as anyone.
Do you think Big Red went to UConn?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

No tattoos?

You're good!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do you think Big Red went to UConn?

No idea. Who cares? As I said, it doesn't matter. The fans of flagship state universities should outnumber their alumni. I wish UConn had more non alumni fans, and not just women's BB (which is loaded with them).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I grew up in CT, oldest brother and most of my friends went to UConn. Practically lived there on the weekends when I went to ECSU. Everyone who knows me knows me as that guy who's a big UConn fan. It is really annoying getting asked constantly if I went there. Like during the 2014 title run when every bar in the state was packed for every game and people would see me in a UConn shirt and be like "oh did you go there?"

Do you think people in Alabama have to deal with that if they wear Crimson Tide gear? Next time I see someone in a Patriots or Giants shirt I'll ask them if they're on the team.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Ever pay taxes in CT? Then not only are you a fan, you are also part owner!

Seriously. Even if it's just sales tax on a head of broccoli at Stew Leonard's. Part owner, dude... :cool:

EDIT: yeah I know, they probably didn't charge you sales tax on the broccoli. But you know you made an impulse buy on the nail clippers while waiting in line, so don't even play...

Reaction Score
I don't think being alumni makes you anymore invested in the athletic program then a non-alumni, at least not in my case. I'm a non-alumni and attend all football games (minus the Tulane game this season - just couldn't do it) and hockey games thus far this season (minus UMass). If I had to guess not many UConn fans are attending multiple sports like that, at least not hockey + another. I also wear the gear frequently and rep it proudly

When you boil it all down UConn is for all intents and purposes CT's pro team, nothing to feel weird about, it's all we have.

Reaction Score
appreciate the inputs everyone...

this came up because my kids all where Uconn gear like it was some handed down religion and we don't even live in CT.
It's funny because they ask me why I'm a fan if I didn't go to the school (while wearing a Uconn FB shirt)...

I see a very expensive decision in the next couple years. Umass in state or Uconn out of state.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
appreciate the inputs everyone...

this came up because my kids all where Uconn gear like it was some handed down religion and we don't even live in CT.
It's funny because they ask me why I'm a fan if I didn't go to the school (while wearing a Uconn FB shirt)...

I see a very expensive decision in the next couple years. Umass in state or Uconn out of state.
Most state schools in New England offer discounted out of state if not in state tuition to New England residents. Not sure UConn's policy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Most state schools in New England offer discounted out of state if not in state tuition to New England residents. Not sure UConn's policy.

There is a compact among the schools to offer discounts if the specific field of study isn't available in state. My friend's son went to UConn on that deal, with a specialized biology major of some kind that UMass didn't have. Of course, MA and CT residents don't usually get much benefit compared to the four smaller state schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom