Question re; UCONN and ND.... | The Boneyard

Question re; UCONN and ND....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
there are alot of assumptions being made on this board that if ND joins the ACC, Uconn would be their choice as the 16th team. Is that rooted in some fact or is that wishful thinking.
I have my own theory who their choice for 16th is.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Of course it's wishful thinking. This is a message board...about college football. So it's got a double dose.

As the most successful Northeast Athletic department in the past 15 years. Logic would seem to indicate that we would draw interest. Doesn't mean we will, logic exited the building years ago.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
No question, Uconn should and will garner interest. I just don't think it is the school ND will say "we want them with us"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Based on reading between the lines of things like Krzyzewski talking about the Northeast, and this sourced reporting.
A source close to the ACC told Kevin Nathan that the ACC wants UConn and Notre Dame and likely won't make a move on the Huskies until the Irish commit either way.

There isn't much else definitive indicating UConn would be ahead of Rutgers, but the fact that they are kind of mediocre at basketball would probably be a factor. The assumption is that basketball and non-sports issues would be win out over BCU and the football interests (FSU) within the ACC. If you believe DeFillipo, UConn was originally ahead of Pitt until BCU objected.

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel of the New York Times

NY Times: If ND to ACC for partial sports, UConn over Rutgers

The Irish will not be keen on staying in the Big East if the conference’s football side dissolves. Notre Dame has not entered discussions with the Atlantic Coast Conference or the Big Ten. But as the future of Big East football dims, the possibility of those conferences as landing places increases considerably.
The best possibility for Notre Dame is finding a partial landing spot in the A.C.C. That could mean Notre Dame’s basketball and non-revenue sports teams would become full-fledged A.C.C. members. In football, Notre Dame could set up a scheduling agreement with the A.C.C. in which it would play a certain number of the conference teams each season yet keep its football independence. Television executives believe that each Notre Dame game could be worth about $3 million for the league.
If Notre Dame did this, UConn, not Rutgers, would round out the A.C.C. as the 16th member.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/s...ristian-putting-football-future-in-doubt.html

Reaction Score
Well, Deillipo never said Uconn was ahead of Pitt.
I think you are all missng the obvious pick for #16 if ND has a say.

Reaction Score
Thamel is wrong. The ACC will never invite ND as a partial member. Partial membership is what doomed the BE.

junglehusky

Reaction Score

Technically, you might be correct, but see below (I added the underlined emphasis, the bold is a section header). He did say he pushed for Pitt over UConn, so even though he's not quoted as saying "UConn was ahead of Pitt", everything else he said confirms it.

I'm guessing your "obvious pick" is Texas. Would be a coup de grace, sure. We'll see if it happens.

Power Move by the ACC
The first target was Syracuse, which had been on the original ACC expansion list eight years ago. The Orangemen, like BC, were disappointed when they didn’t make the final cut, passed over for Virginia Tech and Miami.

Under coach Jim Boeheim, Syracuse was clearly one of the elite basketball teams in the country and would boost the ACC’s stature in that sport.

The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun).

In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.

With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.

While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Turning to Pittsburgh
BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established - though dormant - rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.

Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.

UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football. And there was the lawsuit.

Duke and North Carolina, who have thrived as rivals and neighbors, didn’t quite understand the passion behind BC’s argument, but Pittsburgh seemed like a reasonable alternative. Under Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh had established itself as a national power in men’s basketball, so the Tobacco Road contingent didn’t argue. Calls were made and invitations were accepted.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think the only way the acc does any tpartial membership with nd is this.
-nd all sports but fball, they must play 4 acc teams a year(2h/2a)
-uconn all sports
-navy or ruty fball only

Reaction Score

Why don't you just get to the point and say who the "obvious" 16th pick is? Louisville? Rutgers? Other?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Thamel is wrong. The ACC will never invite ND as a partial member. Partial membership is what doomed the BE.
Maybe they never will. But it sounds like they were talking about it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ACC decides that BCU has added so much value that they get asked to renew their vows?

Reaction Score
Technically, you might be correct, but see below (I added the underlined emphasis, the bold is a section header). He did say he pushed for Pitt over UConn, so even though he's not quoted as saying "UConn was ahead of Pitt", everything else he said confirms it.

I'm guessing your "obvious pick" is Texas. Would be a coup de grace, sure. We'll see if it happens.

Power Move by the ACC
I just dont see Texas going to the ACC.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Why don't you just get to the point and say who the "obvious" 16th pick is? Louisville? Rutgers? Other?
I think he/she is going back to the reports that the ACC wanted Texas, back before the Pac-16 negotiations failed and the B12 resurrected itself. Who knows, if OU changes its mind (less likely now that they booted Beebe and put Neinas in) this might be a longshot possibility. At least this doesn't hinge on Mizzou.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Must be UMess. They have a better shot at capturing the Mass market than BC...

Reaction Score
If the ACC took ND and TX that wouldn't be so bad for UConn. The Big 12 would either fall apart or merge with what is left of the Big East. I'd be fine with that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
there are alot of assumptions being made on this board that if ND joins the ACC, Uconn would be their choice as the 16th team. Is that rooted in some fact or is that wishful thinking.
I have my own theory who their choice for 16th is.
I'd be interested in hearing your theory. And none of the reporting or opinions in this forum concerning future events are conclusive.

Reaction Score
Sorry, actually had to do some work. The obvious choice for ND, in my mind is NAVY! Alot of history, perfect ACC location. It also explains why they are dragging their feet on joining the BE.

What do you think?

Reaction Score
Sorry, actually had to do some work. The obvious choice for ND, in my mind is NAVY! Alot of history, perfect ACC location. It also explains why they are dragging their feet on joining the BE.

What do you think?

I don't think the ACC wants Navy would be my first reaction to that. Service academies are a last ditch attempt to get to 12 by the BE if you ask me and not an addition that a 14 team league would really be looking to make.

Reaction Score
The problem with Navy is that their basketball team would be awful.

Navy's Record in the Patriot League, last 5 years:

2010-11: 11-20 (6-8)
2009-10: 13-17 (7-7)
2008-09: 19-11 (8-6)
2007-08: 16-14 (9-5)
2006-07: 14-16 (4-10)

They had some decent years there, but more or less struggled in the Patriot League. If you want Navy, you want them for their football. I doubt that ND joins all sports. So you take ND for all but Football. UConn for all sports. Navy for Football only. Then you have 16 teams in football and basketball.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
What if the ACC comes to Herbst and says that Notre Dame has agreed to join the ACC and they want UConn to join as #16....but only under the condition that we play what is supposed to be our home games against Notre Dame in either the Meadowlands or Gillette. Do we then bend over and accept that offer? It would ensure that we have a seat at the BCS table, but would put our team at an unfair disadvantage to all other teams in the conference (having to give up a conference home game at our home stadium--which no one else has to do).

Do you recommend that we take that offer? Because if we were to turn it down, I am sure that Rutgers would absolutely agree to those terms in order to get in the ACC and then we really would be the lone team left out (excluding USF...who is screwed no matter how this turns out).

Hope it doesn't come to that...but what if that is the scenario? What should Herbst do?

junglehusky

Reaction Score

What do you think?
Navy would be an attractive candidate if basketball were completely not a factor. It is a factor (Coach K and Roy Williams and their schools have at least some input), and we have heard zero about any of the service academies going anywhere other than the BE or staying put... so I'd file this under 99.9% not gonna happen. In the event some reporter can provide source info that ND would be pushing for Navy, maybe then I'd bring it down to ~95%.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
UConnSportsGuy... if that were the offer, take it or leave it, I would say take it, unless it it written in stone that the arrangement is like 20 years or something ridiculous. Only because the benefits of being in a BCS league for football, and a stable conference for all sports, outweigh the disadvantage of losing a home game every four years (assuming ND as a partial member or in a different division). It's a different situation from the series we tried to negotiate with Notre Dame when our profile was lower where ND would not agree to play at the rent.

Reaction Score
UConnSportsGuy... if that were the offer, take it or leave it, I would say take it, unless it it written in stone that the arrangement is like 20 years or something ridiculous. Only because the benefits of being in a BCS league for football, and a stable conference for all sports, outweigh the disadvantage of losing a home game every four years (assuming ND as a partial member or in a different division). It's a different situation from the series we tried to negotiate with Notre Dame when our profile was lower where ND would not agree to play at the rent.

I agree. We'd have to take that offer no matter how disrepected we felt. Rutgers would definitely take it and at least could play their games in their home state at the Meadowlands. Gillette would be my preference. Keep it in New England for UConn. It couldn't be set for like 20 years though and the Rent would have to be expanded so that the small stadium excuse would be rendered moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom