Question on Rules (Uconn Vs Clemson Re: 1990) | The Boneyard

Question on Rules (Uconn Vs Clemson Re: 1990)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cause I know all you duck t@rds are half deep into a bottle of scotch in this blizzard. I'm watching the replay of the NCAA tournament game, and down 69-67 with 1:00 left, Clemson attempts a 3 point shot, which is blocked out of bounds by Tate George with 1 second left on the shotclock (which expired as it went out of bounds). Clemson gets the ball with a reset 40 second shot clock. How did that rule work at the time? Reset shot clock if knocked out of bounds? What a rule, and i'm curious when they changed it.

Second, Uconn inbounds the ball with 17.5 seconds lefts still up 69-67, and is clearly knocked out by a Clemson player, and is ruled Uconn ball. 15 seconds later , the refs change their mind. That was a mind boggling bad call. Good thing Scott Burrell can throw.

Reaction Score
Cause I know all you duck t@rds are half deep into a bottle of scotch in this blizzard. I'm watching the replay of the NCAA tournament game, and down 69-67 with 1:00 left, Clemson attempts a 3 point shot, which is blocked out of bounds by Tate George with 1 second left on the shotclock (which expired as it went out of bounds). Clemson gets the ball with a reset 40 second shot clock. How did that rule work at the time? Reset shot clock if knocked out of bounds? What a rule, and i'm curious when they changed it.

Second, Uconn inbounds the ball with 17.5 seconds lefts still up 69-67, and is clearly knocked out by a Clemson player, and is ruled Uconn ball. 15 seconds later , the refs change their mind. That was a mind boggling bad call. Good thing Scott Burrell can throw.

Early in the shot clock era, you just had to shoot and the clock reset. Then they changed to the ball needing to hit the rim - there was too much difficulty in determining the player's intent. It was probably very soon after 1990 when they changed it, since I only have vague memories of the old way which was short lived (the shot clock came in, I believe, 1985-86, the year after Nova beat Georgetown, and then the three-point line was introduced in 1986-87, Steve Alford's senior year at IU, when they won it).

I remember that call being changed - and knowing that they were going to change it once they huddled. I don't remember the call being awful, just frustrating since they always give that type of deflection out of bounds to the offensive team. It was like the neighborhood play touching second on a double play being enforced in the ninth inning of a playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom