Question On Recruiting Rules... | The Boneyard

Question On Recruiting Rules...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I recently read that a staff writer from a particular university's very popular fan website had interviewed a highly sought after HS recruit that said university is aggressively pursuing. The particular recruit is one of the 'jewels' of her class and is being pursued by many schools, including UConn. The writer was recently at the recruit's HS following stories about a possible football commit from the same HS. The writer was efficient with his time and took the opportunity to interview the female bb recruit as well. The post stated that the writer had sought and received permission from the recruit's parents for a video interview for the university's fan website. The interview reportedly includes info about the recruit's "visits, timetable, schools on list, etc.".

I am the farthest thing from an expert on NCAA recruiting rules and protocol. But, I've read multiple postings by the Mods here on the BY, that even the slightest contact with a recruit by boosters and/or fans is a big no-no. Common sense would indicate, that contact with a recruit in the form it was done might very easily have an influencing effect on a young recruit. With NCAA rules being as tight as is my impression, I'm wondering how the above described circumstances are permissible?

My questions are: 1), What constitutes a booster, and how could a writer from any university's fan website not meet that definition? 2) Does parental consent for such an interview therein satisfy and comply with NCAA recruiting/contact rules?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Starting with the general caveat IANAL, I don't believe the operative question is whether the individual is a booster. I believe the proper question is - are they a "representative of Athletics Interests" (of which a "booster" is an example).

The definition includes:
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate
athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that
institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective
student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

I'd say that item (e) covers someone working for a university fan site. That said, it could be more complicated. IIRC, John Altavilla has expressed the position that he is a journalist, and is bound by journalistic ethics, even if someone else says the work he does "promotes" the athletics program. That distinction is interesting, but might be harder to apply to an individual working for a university fan site.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Starting with the general caveat IANAL, I don't believe the operative question is whether the individual is a booster. I believe the proper question is - are they a "representative of Athletics Interests" (of which a "booster" is an example).

The definition includes:
(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate
athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that
institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective
student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

I'd say that item (e) covers someone working for a university fan site. That said, it could be more complicated. IIRC, John Altavilla has expressed the position that he is a journalist, and is bound by journalistic ethics, even if someone else says the work he does "promotes" the athletics program. That distinction is interesting, but might be harder to apply to an individual working for a university fan site.
Thanks Phil. My antenna went up because the recruit in question is one of UConn's most coveted players. Without any personal knowledge of the individual and only his reported status as a staff writer for the football forum of the fan site in question, I could speculate that definitions a, b, c and e are not out of the realm of possibilities. It just seems to me that the possibility of undue influence on the recruit is implicit in such contacts on the basis of brand alone, despite being cloaked in a journalist pursuit. Guess I'm just an old cynic. After all, we all know writers never have agendas beyond reporting the facts of a story:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
What about somebody like me? I lived in CT. 15 years ago, fell in love with the program, but never attended UConn, nor did my kids. Can I go up to some kid in Ohio and say "go to UConn?"

Reaction Score
I recently read that a staff writer from a particular university's very popular fan website had interviewed a highly sought after HS recruit that said university is aggressively pursuing. The particular recruit is one of the 'jewels' of her class and is being pursued by many schools, including UConn. The writer was recently at the recruit's HS following stories about a possible football commit from the same HS. The writer was efficient with his time and took the opportunity to interview the female bb recruit as well. The post stated that the writer had sought and received permission from the recruit's parents for a video interview for the university's fan website. The interview reportedly includes info about the recruit's "visits, timetable, schools on list, etc.".

I am the farthest thing from an expert on NCAA recruiting rules and protocol. But, I've read multiple postings by the Mods here on the BY, that even the slightest contact with a recruit by boosters and/or fans is a big no-no. Common sense would indicate, that contact with a recruit in the form it was done might very easily have an influencing effect on a young recruit. With NCAA rules being as tight as is my impression, I'm wondering how the above described circumstances are permissible?

My questions are: 1), What constitutes a booster, and how could a writer from any university's fan website not meet that definition? 2) Does parental consent for such an interview therein satisfy and comply with NCAA recruiting/contact rules?

I never heard of a staff writer for a fan website? Who pays them? The university? Altavilla, Elliott, and Fuller's blogs are associated with their respective employers.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I never heard of a staff writer for a fan website? Who pays them? The university? Altavilla, Elliott, and Fuller's blogs are associated with their respective employers.
Commercial websites receive revenues from advertising (banner ads, links, etc.). I have no knowledge of whether the writer in question is paid or volunteers his services, but he is mentioned as the "board owner" in the OP at the site in question.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
What about somebody like me? I lived in CT. 15 years ago, fell in love with the program, but never attended UConn, nor did my kids. Can I go up to some kid in Ohio and say "go to UConn?"
I'm not clear on this point or the example you offered. IIRC, the advise given by Mods has been to err on the side of caution and steer away from contact with potential recruits. I seem to remember an issue with fan signs at games that were welcoming visiting recruits being a no-no.

Reaction Score
I read the reference in a Tenn post and it did raise my eyebrows/roll my eyes:rolleyes: enough so that I have planned
on looking into it. I have followed mens basketball and football on the internet,from the very early years when it was all free to the present $$$$ I do not remember something of this nature occuring:confused: Womens sports including basketball have always lagged behind mens sports. They still do! I intend on exploring of this further. I do know that it did
catch my attention and at the least is worth finding out more of the details. It may be a sign of the changing times,which
raised much concern for me and turned me off to the level of envolvement/enthusiasm I once had for mens football and basketball. I became very aware of the corruption that exhists. I am glad that Womens Basketball,has become much more popular:) The fact that,the Women, IMHO, play team basketball,are much more rooted in the fundametals,stay for their entire
eligibility,are REAL STUDENT/ATHLETES is very important to me. To be an avid HUSKIE and fanatic of the Womens Team is a joy! The way Geno and the staff run every aspect of the team and very much follow and believe in the John Wooden priniciples is very special. Our success has mirrored,in many ways the Bruins during the Wooden Years< I am aware of the allegations>! If you knew Coach Wooden, read his books, you would also know that he hated what Mens College Basketball had become and loved everything about Womens Basketball. It is not a coincidence that Geno,has such admiration for Coach Wooden and carries his books around with him;)

Reaction Score
The person(s) who interviewed Ms. Deshields are in no way connected to the University of Tenn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The person(s) who interviewed Ms. Deshields are in no way connected to the University of Tenn.
One does not have to be connected to the University to be considered a booster. Simply holding season tickets qualifies you plus a myriad of other conditions.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
One does not have to be connected to the University to be considered a booster. Simply holding season tickets qualifies you plus a myriad of other conditions.
The writer is a credentialed media member via Inside Tennessee and Fox Sports. His job is to cover TN sports and that includes talking to recruits.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The writer is a credentialed media member via Inside Tennessee and Fox Sports. His job is to cover TN sports and that includes talking to recruits.

Just when I thought this thread would drift off into oblivion, Tenn fans come over to resurrect it. This thread was going nowhere but thanks for providing clarification.

May it now rest in peace.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand that I just wanted to clarify that there are numerous ways to be qualified as a booster and not being affiliated with the university is irrelevant to many.

Reaction Score
"The writer is a credentialed media member via Inside Tennessee and Fox Sports. His job is to cover TN sports and that includes talking to recruits."

Follow the money. My only question is What was the source of the funding for this"journalist's" trip to Georgia? If it came from boosters or from University subsidies to Inside Tenn. then he was acting as their agent, not as a member of an independent media outlet. I do not consider Inside Tenn as anything more than an extension of the Tenn public relations dept. And didn't this "morally rightous" journalist make an issue over a few fries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom