Question on QB Throws versus WR routes | The Boneyard

Question on QB Throws versus WR routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
There was a play in the second half that made me wonder something. From a fan's perspective, it looked like J Mac way overthrew a wide open Tebucky Jr. on the right side of the field. Horrible throw, right?

I thought I heard one of the color guys say that the throw may have been right but the route may have been wrong and should have been deeper. As most people know, sometimes the QB throws the ball before the WR has even made their break.

I felt like the same thing happened on another play where it seemed like J Mac underthrew McCombs coming across the middle. In previous throws on that route, I've seen I Moore "settle" in a spot and wait for the ball and J Mac has hit that throw plenty of times. McCombs kept running across though and the ball was way behind him.

Does anyone here know enough about our playbook and route running to put these sorts of scenarios on the QB or the WR/RB?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There are certain "reads" that a WR makes during the route that determine whether they break it out, in, or sit down. The QB and WR have to be on the same page with those reads. It is a tough thing to get a handle on for young WRs that didn't have to do anything of the sort in high school. That said, I don't know whether the fault lies with the QR or QB on those particular plays. I don't know what those reads are supposed to be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Announcer definitely commented on that one.

I'll give the WR the benefit of the doubt and say that McEntee blew the pass and overthrew it.

Reality is, almost none of us will ever know who was off 0n those plays. About the only time we fans are almost certain a WR blows a pattern is when they run a 8 yard pattern on third and nine or third and 10.

Reaction Score
Announcer definitely commented on that one.

I'll give the WR the benefit of the doubt and say that McEntee blew the pass and overthrew it.

Reality is, almost none of us will ever know who was off 0n those plays. About the only time we fans are almost certain a WR blows a pattern is when they run a 8 yard pattern on third and nine or third and 10.
Oh that never happens, does it? ;^)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
jbdphi - I don't know enough about our playbook, so this commentary is just what my eyes see. But to me, JMac has trouble delivering a ball that hits our receivers in stride. Now, our WRs were even dropping balls that were hitting them in stride on Saturday... regardless, once the ball starts being delivered a little high, a little low, a little behind... you hit that gray area of whether it was the QB or the WR for not completing that pass. And it's probably both.

Reaction Score
There was one play early in the game where Geremy Davis did not make a catch of a ball thrown slightly behind him that was the same thing. It looked like Davis had room to be "sitting down" in the zone over the middle, but didn't slow down as quickly as the QB expected him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom