Question on Mikayla | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question on Mikayla

Reaction Score
You and others keep saying this, but I have yet to see anyone explain that conclusion with specific observations about her supposed athletic shortcomings. And I have asked for that before.

Would you be so kind as to tell us what specifically you have seen that leads you to say that she is "overmatched"? Is it foot speed, quickness, shooting form, upper-body strength, or something else?

I think we would all agree that she is not Crystal, and that she has not shot well in very limited minutes this season. And she has made some bad decisions with the ball. But I think her ceiling is at or above the Chong level, which is more than enough for a backup PG. And, to reply to another point made in this thread, I think that her defensive intensity as a freshman is at or near the Kelly Faris level.
Athletic abilities are different than athleticism ---Molly has athletic abilities. Comparing her to Crystal is unfair in that Crystal played extensively in USA's and out side of the hs/aau arena's. She has had top level competition for a long time. She has Confidence--althoug it waned a bid after some benching.
Molly is intellecticually academic superior--and probably, some what like Natalie, thinks the game too much. There is nothing wrong in Molly's ball handling skills, and she has a sweet three and top of the key--in step jumper--. the only aspect of her being that needs improvement is confidence--she was raised, i would think, to defer to others--and that does not work with Division one talent or coaching. She is five 10 if that is a short coming--she has one--it would appear the Saniya and Crystal have shorter comings.
Molly has made a few, not exceptionally large number of , bad passes. Again--confidence . Confidence to take the time to look around and make the proper choice--instead of --damn i have be rid of this hot potato before I screw up.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that no one mentions the name, Molly Bent. She is a point guard. Do we all feel that she has already lost her spot? Is she so terrible, and has such little upside, that we are ready to write her off? She may surprise us, big time, next season. Let's hope she is in the mix.
Until she consistently shoots and make shots, as well as plays solid defense, doubt Molly will get many minutes. For most players that go up and down frosh year, you can project improvement. Hate to say it, but very few positive moments we can project improvement on.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Appreciate the responses. I do think that along with Charli Collier we should be putting a full court press on 2018'er
Christyn Williams who I picture as a scoring point....better suited to play off the 'pure point' but able to run an offense as well.
Losing Gabby and Kia to graduation before the 2018'ers arrive will be a big loss....Collier The Elder and Christyn would come in real handy.

Reaction Score
You and others keep saying this, but I have yet to see anyone explain that conclusion with specific observations about her supposed athletic shortcomings. And I have asked for that before.

Would you be so kind as to tell us what specifically you have seen that leads you to say that she is "overmatched"? Is it foot speed, quickness, shooting form, upper-body strength, or something else?

I think we would all agree that she is not Crystal, and that she has not shot well in very limited minutes this season. And she has made some bad decisions with the ball. But I think her ceiling is at or above the Chong level, which is more than enough for a backup PG. And, to reply to another point made in this thread, I think that her defensive intensity as a freshman is at or near the Kelly Faris level.
Defensively, I see two problems. One, her intensity may be very good but her positioning is not. And two, her focus on her "man" is so tunnel visioned that she is slow to react to things around her, passes, backscreens etc. And her tentativeness on offense needs a lot of work. But I like her and hope she can pick things up so that she can at least compete for PT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom