Question on Mikayla | The Boneyard

Question on Mikayla

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For those of you who have followed her play over this past year: can she be an effective point
at the elite college level?

My sense is that Lexi/Andra/Megan have games more suited to the off-guard or small forward slots.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Does it really matter? I'm not so certain..
If someone were to ask me 3 years ago if Kia Nurse or Saniya Chong would be effective playing the point guard position, I probably would have been the first to say no... Anything is possible when you have the right people working with you.. in the right system with the appropriate supporting cast...

Versatility is the strength of this UCONN program, He keeps recruiting basketball players that can handle multiple roles as needed.. She will be fine as long as she plays great defense and listen to her coaches...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those of you who have followed her play over this past year: can she be an effective point
at the elite college level? My sense is that Lexi/Andra/Megan have games more suited to the off-guard or small forward slots.
@blakeon18 It does matter and I probably understand why you are asking the question.
You are probably asking because Crystal is seemingly the only true PG on the roster therefore minutes at PG in a backup capacity will be available next year. The answer to your question is yes, IMO Mikayla can be an effective PG. But so can Andi and Megan. I think Mikayla's ability to play the point will fall somewhere between Kia Nurse and Bria Harley as PG. Both were clearly better SG that could play the point on occasion.
Plenty of good handles, shooting, and passing in this video.

Reaction Score
@blakeon18 It does matter and I probably understand why you are asking the question.
You are probably asking because Crystal is seemingly the only true PG on the roster therefore minutes at PG in a backup capacity will be available next year. The answer to your question is yes, IMO Mikayla can be an effective PG. But so can Andi and Megan. I think Mikayla's ability to play the point will fall somewhere between Kia Nurse and Bria Harley as PG. Both were clearly better SG that could play the point on occasion.

Fwiw, I concur. MC has a very good handle, is athletic (even after the knee operation) and penetrates well.
Imo, when she arrives at Storrs, she will be the best suited player on the roster, for the back up point guard position

Reaction Score
IMO Crystal needs the pressure of another PG lest she think the position is hers for ever-and-a-day and revert to old habits.

Reaction Score
IMO Crystal needs the pressure of another PG lest she think the position is hers for ever-and-a-day and revert to old habits.

Would that be possible on Geno's watch? Past actions indicate he'll bench any player promptly for lack of effort. That said it will be sweet to have a second point guard. I very much hope we'll see some strong opponents next year who can keep pace with our team.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Coombs is an Athletic SG, Crystal will still be the only "natural" PG next year, other than maybe Molly Bent who probably wont see much if any time.. My point was, Every player on the Roster except for Natalie Butler can bring the ball up the court effectively against pressure, (as in handle the ball..) If CW does come to UCONN as some say she will, that will perhaps be our next true point..

Still looking to see the "plenty of passing" in that video, I counted (2) from MC.. There is definitely plenty of Shooting and handling :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coombs is an Athletic SG, Crystal will still be the only "natural" PG next year, other than maybe Molly Bent who probably wont see much if any time.. My point was, Every player on the Roster except for Natalie Butler can bring the ball up the court effectively against pressure, (as in handle the ball..) If CW does come to UCONN as some say she will, that will perhaps be our next true point..
Still looking to see the "plenty of passing" in that video, I counted (2) from MC.. There is definitely plenty of Shooting and handling :)
CW is no more of a PG than Mikayla. We are not talking about occasionally bringing up the ball which all players might be required to do, we are talking about being the primary PG and initiating the UCONN Offense= Playing point guard.
Two is plenty, keep watching!

Reaction Score

I find it interesting that no one mentions the name, Molly Bent. She is a point guard. Do we all feel that she has already lost her spot? Is she so terrible, and has such little upside, that we are ready to write her off? She may surprise us, big time, next season. Let's hope she is in the mix.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that no one mentions the name, Molly Bent. She is a point guard. Do we all feel that she has already lost her spot? Is she so terrible, and has such little upside, that we are ready to write her off? She may surprise us, big time, next season. Let's hope she is in the mix.
I think Molly's athleticism is pretty good and it's just her getting some confidence and making better decisions that she needs a lot of work on. Sounds a bit like Saniya, don't you think? Hopefully she'll make the adjustment and appreciably sooner than did Saniya.

Reaction Score
Molly looked really good at times playing the point. I think if she makes a big jump from freshmen to sophomore she could see significant playing time as will every player on the team. There should be little to no loss when going to the bench next year.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
CW is no more of a PG than Mikayla. We are not talking about occasionally bringing up the ball which all players might be required to do, we are talking about being the primary PG and initiating the UCONN Offense= Playing point guard.
Two is plenty, keep watching!
You are correct they are both considered Combo Guards... with scorer's mentality..
LoL, I'm quite aware of what a point Guard's job is.. Floor leader who keeps the offense organized and everyone involved, verbal leader.. Controls the pace of the game.. etc.. I guess we shall wait and see who becomes what next year... :)

Reaction Score
at the elite college level?

My sense is that Lexi/Andra/Megan have games more suited to the off-guard or small forward slots.

I have only seen a few videos of her but from what I've seen - I'd say yes. She's a h/s senior. She'll get better. The coaching staff won't settle for her (nor do I think she will settle herself - i.e.e just want to be labeled as a one-dimensional player. Which is why she came ot UCONN I'd think.) to just be a sg. Next year like any year for a frosh she is going ot get her butt kicked. But just as what happens for many talented players, they improve from h/s. SO I'd say look at her as a combo guard each year getting better and better at her craft.

But I hope you weren't talking about/ having concerns about next year? Don't tell me you are "worried" about CD's backup position next year? That worry -- it should not even close to be.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
MC? CW? Why do we have continue with this INITIALS crap? And these kids aren't ever on the team! We've got too many initials already. Is "CD" the coach, who actually has been known as CD forever? But some insist it's Crystal, or before that Caroline. You are causing confusion, at least for this BYer. Have a heart and please don't continue this -- some old-timers are often confused enough already.

BTW, most posters here seem to identify folks by name, so it can't be that hard to do.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
MC? CW? Why do we have continue with this INITIALS crap? And these kids aren't ever on the team! We've got too many initials already. Is "CD" the coach, who actually has been know as CD forever? But some insist it's Crystal, or before that Caroline. You are causing confusion, at least for this BYer. Have a heart and please don't continue this -- some old-timers are often confused enough already.
OK.

Reaction Score

Ive watched every game and certainly 0 practices but Molly Bent seems very overmatched this year. I hope that she will get a lot better and i never like to say a girl will not get a lot of minutes but..... I think she will be very much over recruited. Hope I'm wrong, or maybe I hope I'm right.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Does it really matter? I'm not so certain..
If someone were to ask me 3 years ago if Kia Nurse or Saniya Chong would be effective playing the point guard position, I probably would have been the first to say no... Anything is possible when you have the right people working with you.. in the right system with the appropriate supporting cast...

Versatility is the strength of this UCONN program, He keeps recruiting basketball players that can handle multiple roles as needed.. She will be fine as long as she plays great defense and listen to her coaches...

Two thumbs up :)

Bria Hartley wasn't exactly a pg either and that worked out just fine.

#trustgeno

Reaction Score
Molly looked really good at times playing the point. I think if she makes a big jump from freshmen to sophomore she could see significant playing time as will every player on the team. There should be little to no loss when going to the bench next year.
Last off the bench, unless that falls to Kyla.

Reaction Score
Would that be possible on Geno's watch? Past actions indicate he'll bench any player promptly for lack of effort. That said it will be sweet to have a second point guard. I very much hope we'll see some strong opponents next year who can keep pace with our team.
I would agree that Geno would sit anyone at least for a game to motivate them. Crystal is showing greatness at PG that won't be found for awhile. She is a freshman and there are small aspects that will be worked out soon. Maybe she gets a motivational time out accasionally but from this point going forward, there won't be any benching. She will be the greatest thing since Bird. She is somewhat different from Jefferson who was great in her own way of course. The amazing part is she is showing this as a freshman. This talent and progress can't be interupted.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ive watched every game and certainly 0 practices but Molly Bent seems very overmatched this year. I hope that she will get a lot better and i never like to say a girl will not get a lot of minutes but..... I think she will be very much over recruited. Hope I'm wrong, or maybe I hope I'm right.....
You and others keep saying this, but I have yet to see anyone explain that conclusion with specific observations about her supposed athletic shortcomings. And I have asked for that before.

Would you be so kind as to tell us what specifically you have seen that leads you to say that she is "overmatched"? Is it foot speed, quickness, shooting form, upper-body strength, or something else?

I think we would all agree that she is not Crystal, and that she has not shot well in very limited minutes this season. And she has made some bad decisions with the ball. But I think her ceiling is at or above the Chong level, which is more than enough for a backup PG. And, to reply to another point made in this thread, I think that her defensive intensity as a freshman is at or near the Kelly Faris level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You and others keep saying this, but I have yet to see anyone explain that conclusion with specific observations about her supposed athletic shortcomings. And I have asked for that before. Would you be so kind as to tell us what specifically you have seen that leads you to say that she is "overmatched"? Is it foot speed, quickness, shooting form, upper-body strength, or something else?

I think we would all agree that she is not Crystal, and that she has not shot well in very limited minutes this season. And she has made some bad decisions with the ball. But I think her ceiling is at or above the Chong level, which is more than enough for a backup PG. And, to reply to another point made in this thread, I think that her defensive intensity as a freshman is at or near the Kelly Faris level.
@JoePgh I'm anxious to see if you get any legit responses to your questions regarding these perceptions of Molly. IMO those perceptions are the result of some UCONN fans being spoiled to the point of not understanding that not all UCONN players have to reach AA or superstar status. Along the same lines though, I've been watching very closely and Molly has not done anything (intensity, technique, or result) that would justify even a remote comparison to Kelly Faris. Gabby will most likely win the national DPOY this year. Faris was Gabby and if not for the misfortune of being in the same HS class a Brittney Griner Kelly could easily have won 3 National DPOY awards.

Reaction Score
MC? CW? Why do we have continue with this INITIALS crap? And these kids aren't ever on the team! We've got too many initials already. Is "CD" the coach, who actually has been known as CD forever? But some insist it's Crystal, or before that Caroline. You are causing confusion, at least for this BYer. Have a heart and please don't continue this -- some old-timers are often confused enough already.

BTW, most posters here seem to identify folks by name, so it can't be that hard to do.

WTF?? Acronmyns are here to stay! People tend to us them to show they are part of the 'in crowd' --outsiders don't get it--get it//
Age has nothing to do with accepting or not ---However you shall note--that CD--is rarely if ever CD---she is alway Christine--how she signs herself--or Chris---Shea isn't SR ---Morisa is just that. GA I never use--he has been and always shall be GENO---
I do tend to use JPM for the Duke coach and it's not out of dislike or disrespect--I can't alway remember her last name.
Dawn isn't DS--Sherri isn't SC--I go so far as to write S. Carolina as US Carolina to not mix it with west coast schools.
Get it --Got it --Good..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom