Question on Final Big East Standings | The Boneyard

Question on Final Big East Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I listened to Bob and Meghan discuss what the Big East seedings would be depending on the West Virginia/St. Johns game outcome and and the UConn/ND game and I understand that if UConn wins that they will be seeded 2nd because St. Johns won. They, I believe, mentioned that if UConn lost they would be second. Won't St. Johns be second if UConn loses by virtue of equivalent records and St. Johns having won against UConn?

Reaction Score
It is my understanding that if St Johns and Uconn have equivalent records, St Johns will be seeded higher in the tournament based on St Johns victory over Uconn.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If UConn beats Marquette and loses to ND, while SJU beats Nova and Georgetown, both would finish 13-3 in conference. In that case, yes, I believe SJU would be seeded #2 by virtue of the H2H win.

Obviously, I hope we beat ND, but I would love to see UConn seeded #2 and SJU #3. Other way around would be less preferable because it would mean we lost again to ND, but still OK. Sets up a great semifinals rematch, plus a chance for a UConn-ND trilogy in the BET finals. Two very, very compelling games.

Reaction Score
If Uconn wins against ND, why would there not be a coin flip (like before their respective losses to WV & SJ) since they lost to each other and then to one other team?

I listened to Bob and Meghan discuss what the Big East seedings would be depending on the West Virginia/St. Johns game outcome and and the UConn/ND game and I understand that if UConn wins that they will be seeded 2nd because St. Johns won. They, I believe, mentioned that if UConn lost they would be second. Won't St. Johns be second if UConn loses by virtue of equivalent records and St. Johns having won against UConn?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Uconn wins against ND, why would there not be a coin flip (like before their respective losses to WV & SJ) since they lost to each other and then to one other team?
Apparently, the tie-break prior to coin flip is record against the #3 seed. Since ND beat SJU and UConn lost, they would not go to the coin flip tie-breaker. ND would still be seeded ahead of UConn. But both teams would take home regular season league championship hardware.

Clear as mud? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer