question for tournament time | The Boneyard

question for tournament time

Reaction Score
Looks like Paige is our main offensive threat, but she can't do it alone every night. other teams may double team her, go box and 1, etc. Who becomes our next scorer to take some pressure off of her. Next year it will be Azzi, but who is it now. They all seem to have off nights, last night most of them. Having learned a lesson from Anna's saga, not sure who among them is banged up. Evina had an off night scoring, seems to have had a few. Is she now hurting? Liv does not seem to be a force in big games, certainly not from distance, wish she had a hook shot like Boston's. Williams shooting touch seems to have abandoned her again/still from mid to long range. Muhl is good, but still seems reluctant to take more than a very few shots. Edwards is a banger when in, but does not seem to have a great long range shot. Mir supposedly throws up grenades somewhere in the baskets vicinity. Could be a committee but you can't have a committee of 25% shooters. Maybe we just go great defense, win them 42 to 40 and call it a night. Maybe Geno is keeping the offense a secret until the tourney, don't need it now so don't let people see it and prepare for it.

Reaction Score
that's what Geno will be working on in practice for the next month

it probably will be not one player but whomever has a good night or matchup.
CW can be that player in the right situation. But not in all situations.

Reaction Score
The problem with the offense is what South Carolina did. Don't guard Liv or Edwards on the outside and sag back to the middle. It completely takes away back door cuts and drives to the hoop. So either you are going to run off screens at the top of the key and shoot mid-range jumpers or hit outside shots off of those screens. Evina can make that, Chrystn can make the mid-range at the foul line. Liv can make that outside shot and so can Edwards but they all missed them in the first quarter and said OK Paige we will screen and you shoot them up. She makes them so why not. They deferred to her and counted on her to win the game. No one we have played had a Boston in the middle. We will adjust.

Reaction Score
The problem with the offense is what South Carolina did. Don't guard Liv or Edwards on the outside and sag back to the middle. It completely takes away back door cuts and drives to the hoop. So either you are going to run off screens at the top of the key and shoot mid-range jumpers or hit outside shots off of those screens. Evina can make that, Chrystn can make the mid-range at the foul line. Liv can make that outside shot and so can Edwards but they all missed them in the first quarter and said OK Paige we will screen and you shoot them up. She makes them so why not. They deferred to her and counted on her to win the game. No one we have played had a Boston in the middle. We will adjust.
My college coach told us never to take a shot you cannot make at least 50% of the time. I remember playing in practice and he happened to be behind me in the corner after one of my patented off-balance jumpers and he quietly asked me if I could make that shot I just took at least 50% of the time. (probably a half hour or so before he threw me off the court) I think it's a good rule. Now think about that idea with some of the shots you're thinking about in this post. I don't like Liv from on top. I've said that in at least 20 posts. We know E can hit the open jumper. AE, AG and even Mir need to shoot the open shots. Got 10 BE games to figure it out. CW is an enigma. Don't know what to say. Old Dude says she played great D last night. I wish she would attack the baseline and finish around the rim.
Imagine this team hitting its open shots. It could be scary.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
that's what Geno will be working on in practice for the next month
Yep, just like Stewie's freshman year, when Geno said, If you want to win the national championship, I'll show you how. But you have to do exactly what I tell you to do.

Early in the season he questioned how well some of the players were taking to his coaching, but I think those days are over. If Nika jokes that nobody listens to Geno, then you know everyone is listening to him.

Reaction Score
Looks like Paige is our main offensive threat, but she can't do it alone every night. other teams may double team her, go box and 1, etc. Who becomes our next scorer to take some pressure off of her. Next year it will be Azzi, but who is it now. They all seem to have off nights, last night most of them. Having learned a lesson from Anna's saga, not sure who among them is banged up. Evina had an off night scoring, seems to have had a few. Is she now hurting? Liv does not seem to be a force in big games, certainly not from distance, wish she had a hook shot like Boston's. Williams shooting touch seems to have abandoned her again/still from mid to long range. Muhl is good, but still seems reluctant to take more than a very few shots. Edwards is a banger when in, but does not seem to have a great long range shot. Mir supposedly throws up grenades somewhere in the baskets vicinity. Could be a committee but you can't have a committee of 25% shooters. Maybe we just go great defense, win them 42 to 40 and call it a night. Maybe Geno is keeping the offense a secret until the tourney, don't need it now so don't let people see it and prepare for it.

Yes they do but they all also have "on" nights. They don't all shoot 25% every game. Go back and see some box scores. It seems that there is a huge over-reaction to each game. When UConn shoots 3's oveer 50% it's all sunshine and when they shoot 3-14 it's "alas for us". :) Further, it's a lot more than just scoring that wins games and everyone seems to be contributing as far as rebounding, assists and steals and the energy level has been good all season.
UConn's offense will come out of their defense not from deadly outside shooting.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Soft games coming up, maybe its time to see what Saylor can do. Put her in for more minutes, maybe she can get acclimated enough to actually help us going forward. Nika has to shoot more, especially when she gets in the lane, but until that light goes on, what do we have to lose.

Reaction Score
Yep, just like Stewie's freshman year, when Geno said, If you want to win the national championship, I'll show you how. But you have to do exactly what I tell you to do.

Early in the season he questioned how well some of the players were taking to his coaching, but I think those days are over. If Nika jokes that nobody listens to Geno, then you know everyone is listening to him.
you can tell by players improvements who is listening and who isn't (or who just isnt capable of doing what he wants). Look at the improvement of Nika for instance, she is listening thats for sure.

Reaction Score
They need to be able to, as individuals and as a team, discern when deferring to Paige is the right choice That last procession preceding Paige throwing up the answered prayer looked like playing catch with a hand grenade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom