Question...do fans from... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question...do fans from...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
People are too impressionable. Make up your own mind for heaven's sake. Calhoun didn't do anything that Coach K. didn't do.

True or not, no one outside of the UConn fanbase buys that. No one. Your constant knee-jerk denial of that fact is emabarrassing. It makes you sound dumb.

Reaction Score
True or not, no one outside of the UConn fanbase buys that. No one. Your constant knee-jerk denial of that fact is emabarrassing. It makes you sound dumb.

I don't deny people are stupid idiots. But even if I did, I fail to see how they makes me dumb. People are idiots. That's been acknowledged many times. I prefer a life based in facts and rationality. I'm not responsible for other people's idiocy. That's on them.

And the fact is, the Calhoun criticism came as a result of Rudy Gay. That was the big thing that got it all started, that and Gary Williams and the Washington Post and a few others that piled onto that story.

If some UConn fans want to go along with deluded masses, be my guest.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn had three major Men's BB "scandals": computergate, Miles and the APR...

I've had my criticisms of Calhoun but the reality is that he has been no more nefarious than any other high profile HC ...

I believe this to be true. But my problem with Calhoun is that he is not out there now (or ever) trying to repair the damage he caused. For example, he should be blasting the APR at every opportuinity. He should say that UConn was busted because they expect kids to go to class and do their own work. Instead, he's undercutting his AD and playing coy about coaching again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't deny people are stupid idiots. But even if I did, I fail to see how they makes me dumb. People are idiots. That's been acknowledged many times. I prefer a life based in facts and rationality. I'm not responsible for other people's idiocy. That's on them.

UConn basketball has an image problem nationwide because of the multiple scandals. That's a fact. Your denial of that fact is dumb.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I believe this to be true. But my problem with Calhoun is that he is not out there now (or ever) trying to repair the damage he caused. For example, he should be blasting the APR at every opportuinity. ]

Someone should be doing it. We should be trumpeting our progress and how we made positive changes in our program. The responsibility should fall on the entire AD. It's called Public Relations. It's painfully obvious we're poor at the PR thing.

He should say that UConn was busted because they expect kids to go to class and do their own work. Instead, he's undercutting his AD and playing coy about coaching again.

We cannot say anything like this. If we say our kids go to class and do their own work we are implying that other institutions don't. We know that a lot, in fact, don't but we can't do or say anything that further alienates us from our peers. We don't want to be ostracized. We need to focus on positive, positive, positive.

Reaction Score
I believe this to be true. But my problem with Calhoun is that he is not out there now (or ever) trying to repair the damage he caused. For example, he should be blasting the APR at every opportuinity. He should say that UConn was busted because they expect kids to go to class and do their own work. Instead, he's undercutting his AD and playing coy about coaching again.

LOL, and you call me knee-jerk??!!! For heaven's sake--why do you think the vast majority of these people accept their punishment? Because they know it's a lose-lose game. Calhoun said various times he didn't agree with the NCAA and he disputed its facts, but that he wouldn't appeal because it was time to move on. In hindsight, he has been proven right twice. The NCAA got it wrong. There were two major infractions in the Miles case. The second one was wiped away by the NCAA almost a year after the punishment was given because they found evidence that contradicted the NCAA's initial finding. The first major infraction was simply the 150 calls too many (which Calhoun admitted). That's not even a minor infraction any more. The question of lack of oversight was contradicted in the NCAA's report, which stated that Calhoun did report the Miles-Nochimson relationship to the AD and the NCAA, wrote a letter to Miles about and called him, in 2007, within several months of making contact with Miles. Later in that report Calhoun was docked for lack of oversight for never reporting the relationship!! The NCAA's report contradicted itself--which, having seen some other reports--is not unusual. And finally, the "lack of oversight" designation didn't even exist in the NCAA's books when Calhoun was supposedly violating it in 2007. It came into being after the Kelvin Sampson case was finalized in late 2008. So, given all this, what do you want Calhoun to do? Go into detail about this shoddiness of all of this?

As for the APR, that would sound crazy if Calhoun said at UConn we had real students with real expectations. We don't know they did. It actually doesn't sound like it. At best, he could say, at UConn we had no filler classes that kept kids simply eligible. But that's a pretty weak argument to announce in public. Embarrassing really.

The laptop stuff leaves me cold. I don't care other than students receiving the appropriate punishment, which they did. The Cuse fans are right here that plenty of players get caught stealing and you never hear about it, all over the country. What I think is unfortunate is that you have sexual assaults and players bashing girls, getting into fights where they hurt people, and that gets swept under the rug constantly. For some reason, the worst thing these kids can do is steal--people are OK with heads being broken and punches thrown at girls, never mind sexual abuse. What Miles did at UConn was enough to get him thrown out IMO, but it was really child's play compared to the things that have happened at Cuse with no repercussions whatsoever.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball has an image problem nationwide because of the multiple scandals. That's a fact. Your denial of that fact is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom