Question about UConn scheduling | The Boneyard

Question about UConn scheduling

Reaction Score
I just read that the PAC-12’s new scheduling standards require league members to compile non-conference schedules against foes whose aggregate trailing five year average NET RPI rankings are at least under 175. With instate rival, Colorado State, Colorado men requires CSU to be under 151. Why? Losing to a team with a high RPI lessons end of the year tourney invites. UConn normally schedules tough opponents but generally how does the competition add up and what is the situation in the Big East?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Under 175 is a rather low bar in wcbb. I would think that it helps some teams have a reason to resist what could be "political pressure" to play weak in-state teams. And I mean political in the broadest sense. It would also give those 175+ teams an incentive to improve their wcbb programs.

Reaction Score
I just read that the PAC-12’s new scheduling standards require league members to compile non-conference schedules against foes whose aggregate trailing five year average NET RPI rankings are at least under 175. With instate rival, Colorado State, Colorado men requires CSU to be under 151. Why? Losing to a team with a high RPI lessons end of the year tourney invites. UConn normally schedules tough opponents but generally how does the competition add up and what is the situation in the Big East?

WarrenNolan.com is a great site to view RPI and individual team ranking. UConn rarely schedules teams in the bottom half 200 - 350. Occasionally for a a hometown senior game (like Stewie had in 2015) they have a game with a team like Colgate, which lowers their ranking. Ask far as the Big East is concerned, the composite RPI's are slightly better than the American. So continuing to schedule strong out of conference teams is the only salvation for keeping their RPI in the top 10 nationally. By contrast, this year the Pac-12 teams include 5 in the top 15 and 9 in the top 100, giving them a high RPI with practically every game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is that specific to Pac-12 men's basketball? Link?

Reaction Score
Is that specific to Pac-12 men's basketball? Link?
I got in from a story in Boulder Daily Camera which gave the PAC-12 new requirements but was focused on even higher standards, unique to the Colorado/Colorado State men, set to continue series. I assume the PAC-12 requirement is for both men and women. It creates a problem for traditional rivalries. Even in a down year, CSU threw everything into beating CU and a loss to CSU severely hurt CU’s post season placement. Playing yesterday a mediocre CSU team through a scare into nationally ranked Colorado. I think UConn can more than afford the occasional Colgate, especially since losing isn’t likely.

You might go to PAC-12 website for more complete details. It of course doesn't apply to conference games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I got in from a story in Boulder Daily Camera which gave the PAC-12 new requirements but was focused on even higher standards, unique to the Colorado/Colorado State men, set to continue series. I assume the PAC-12 requirement is for both men and women. It creates a problem for traditional rivalries. Even in a down year, CSU threw everything into beating CU and a loss to CSU severely hurt CU’s post season placement. Playing yesterday a mediocre CSU team through a scare into nationally ranked Colorado. I think UConn can more than afford the occasional Colgate, especially since losing isn’t likely.

You might go to PAC-12 website for more complete details. It of course doesn't apply to conference games.
Google helped me out. The new scheduling requirements are just for men's BB and will go into effect next season (2020-21).

The provision that might affect the CU-CSU series is the one that will prohibit Pac-12 teams from scheduling road games against teams outside the top 200 in the NET ranking.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If this is true and if it carries over it would be interesting and a little problematic. The concept is to improve the conference RPI as a whole since RPI is a combination of your record, your opponents record, and your opponents opponents record.

The problems I see are:
1. RPI is a broad brush and the difference between RPI 125 and RPI 200 is not significant especially for a most P5 schools.

2. There are historic games and competitions like the five colleges competition around Philadelphia or competitions within state school systems that might not be competitive but should not be arbitrarily ended. Uconn had special agreements with Holy Cross and Hartford for example.

3. Many colleges control significant costs by competing in their OC against schools in local areas.

4. Many colleges also increase the number of their home games by playing schools at home that do not demand a reciprocal home game.

5. Some schools with weak RPI actually make money for their program by agreeing to play the away game against a P5 school - either by direct fee or by percentage of gate receipts.

6. A game like Uconn at Colgate is actually fun for both teams even though it is a blow-out. A home game for a great player, and a celebration and sold out crowd for a team that hadn't had one before.

7. Most importantly it will become a way for P5 schools to consolidate their distance from non-P5 schools - the worst teams in the P5 will have better RPI than those isolated from being able to play against the P5 schools. A mid-major power school actually can benefit from having lesser teams in their league play good P5 schools because it raises their RPI.

I could see this being better if it was done as an 'average' rather than an absolute cut-off. Seeing top 25 teams coming into conference play with a 150+ SOS is pretty appalling and not best for WCBB.

Reaction Score
Google helped me out. The new scheduling requirements are just for men's BB and will go into effect next season (2020-21).

The provision that might affect the CU-CSU series is the one that will prohibit Pac-12 teams from scheduling road games against teams outside the top 200 in the NET ranking.
I assume it will eventually affect women, especially if PAC-12 remains this strong.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I assume it will eventually affect women, especially if PAC-12 remains this strong.
Tough to say. But these scheduling standards were implemented after last season because of the *weakness*, not the strength, of P12 men's basketball. The Pac-12 was in serious danger of being a one-bid league last season, and Oregon actually stole a bid by winning the Pac-12 tournament, something almost unheard of in a power conference.

Reaction Score
WarrenNolan.com is a great site to view RPI and individual team ranking. UConn rarely schedules teams in the bottom half 200 - 350. Occasionally for a a hometown senior game (like Stewie had in 2015) they have a game with a team like Colgate, which lowers their ranking. Ask far as the Big East is concerned, the composite RPI's are slightly better than the American. So continuing to schedule strong out of conference teams is the only salvation for keeping their RPI in the top 10 nationally. By contrast, this year the Pac-12 teams include 5 in the top 15 and 9 in the top 100, giving them a high RPI with practically every game.
The fact that the Big East is slightly better even without UConn than the AAC means there is a big difference between the conferences. We must remember that UConn holds up the AAC. The Big East is going to take a sizeable leap when UConn joins. Although I know everyone says Big East only has DePaul which is comparable to South Florida, the middle to bottom of the Big East schools are much higher than the middle and bottom of the AAC. I believe that better competition although not threatening to UConn will help UConn get better over a season. I can't wait. I'll also get to see a few more games in person because of locations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom