Question about CFB Postseason | The Boneyard

Question about CFB Postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a question that I have been asking forever and am looking for someone to clear this up for me. I have heard numerous reasons as to why the bowl system wont be replaced by a playoff system (tradition, #of games in regular season games, #of teams involved, importance of regular season games, etc.) I cannot understand why on earth anyone would be in favor of the current bowl system that we have now. As we saw from the fiasco in the offseason with the fiesta bowl there are groups of people that are cleaning up from these bowl games and yet teams that play in the games are losing money. This is not just an issue for UCONN, Oklahoma didnt sell its allotment of tickets to the fiesta bowl either and had to be reimbursed by the B-12. These 3rd party groups of people that are running the bowl games force the schools to buy large allotments of overpriced tickets and make out like bandits. I dont understand how this system has lasted so long and why the NCAA cant run their own bowl games and eliminate the third party that is making all this money from doing almost nothing. I am still undecided as to whether I would prefer a bowl system or a playoff but I am sure that I cannot wait to see this current system be kicked to the curb.

Could this be an issue of a lack of leadership at the top? The BCS is run by the AQ conferences I believe, not the NCAA but I think that every single bowl is run seperately. Insight? Has UCONN made money on any of the bowls that they played in?

I have a link about the Fiesta Bowl disaster doesnt explain the situation completely but gives you an idea (with the amount of money that is being thrown around) as to the amount of money we are talking about:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6270459

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak