Quesiton - what's the difference? | The Boneyard

Quesiton - what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all the talk about BC blocking UConn, and the various reasons why this is a terrible thing for UConn, I have a question - how is this any different than what is going on in other states?

Florida/Georgia/Kentucky/South Carolina are going to do what they can to keep FSU/GT/Louisville/Clemson out of the SEC.

Texas/Texas Tech are going to do what they can to keep TCU out of the Big XII.

While BC and UConn are not in the same state, New England is a pretty small region compared with Texas or Florida (with fair-weather fans who don't breathe and eat college football), why would BC want to split viewership with UConn? Why would they want to add another competitor for local talent who want to play in the ACC? Since BC and UConn's campuses are closer than the examples above, it's a very real concern that BC would be removing their regional advantage, with very little upside.

Please let me know if you can see any difference between why Florida would try to block FSU from the SEC and why BC would try to block UConn from joining the ACC.

Reaction Score
The advantage that got you beat by Duke?

Wouldn't you like a road game you could take a daytrip to? Would that be so terrible?

Reaction Score
I don't get the original question, what's the difference? Why are you asking that question.

BC blocking UConn is bad because UConn is being blocked. What else does anyone need to know?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Florida and Florida State are already well established programs. BC and Uconn might be best served by the jolt that this would create. Certainly Uconn has more to gain, but the heated rivalry would help both schools.

Reaction Score
Why did BC vote to allow UConn to upgrade to I-A football and enter the Big East in the first place?

Reaction Score
I don't get the original question, what's the difference? Why are you asking that question.

BC blocking UConn is bad because UConn is being blocked. What else does anyone need to know?

Agreed - I'm just seeing a significant amount of speculation that this is due to the lawsuit or because we're 'scared' - couldn't it just be that BC doesn't want to split the New England market if it doesn't have to?

Reaction Score
The splitting viewership response has way too many jokes attached to the "viewership" that BC commands so I'll leave that for others.

I'll just say that you acknowledge that UConn is a threat and one that you can not face or overcome just by your comments. And it seems to work okay for UNC/NCSt/Duke in terms of competitive sports teams.

Win on the field in football and the court in basketball and viewers and players will flock to Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
Agreed - I'm just seeing a significant amount of speculation that this is due to the lawsuit or because we're 'scared' - couldn't it just be that BC doesn't want to split the New England market if it doesn't have to?
Could be. But regardless of the reason, we're being blocked, so we don't like it.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Whats the over/under on how long it takes this thread to turn into a diaster?

Reaction Score
Eh, at this juncture I'd prefer him over the PeeCee losers. At least he's asking an honest question and not just trolling.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If the ACC was falling apart and UConn was blocking BCU from getting back into the Big East, BCU fans would be whining about it too, saying we are scared of them and we know that we could never compete with their long standing tradition of mediocre football.

This is said in good humor by the way. I hate BC in a way a regional rival should be hated. I hate Rutgers because their fans are morons that actually think their HC promising them they can compete for a National title means something. And because they are in New Jersey, but that's something different altogether. I hate BC because I just do. It has more of a natural rival feel than any other team UConn plays (played). I would love to be in the same conference with BC because that would be a game that both teams would circle at the start of each season.

Reaction Score

Yes, it could be that and probably is, but how is that different from BC is scared? BC is scared its market would be cut up. UConn would be in the same position. In many respects, it's been better for both schools to be in different conferences, but for the rivalry of course.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Whats the over/under on how long it takes this thread to turn into a diaster?

He seems reasonable enough. The only way this becomes a disaster is if some UConn fan on here gets bored and decides to turn it into one. There's definitely a possibility of that happening of course. I think a more interesting bet wouldn't be the over/under, but who is the one that is going to trigger it.

Reaction Score
This is not a block because of business, it is a block on emotion, which shows your true colors. It has already been noted by writers through their sources that its about the lawsuit from 8 years ago. A lawsuit that was right because of the millions and milli0ns spend on upgrading to the Big East with the notion that schools were going to be there, so it jeopardized all that money being spent from taxpayers. BC is blocking because they are being childish, FSU is blocking because of business (not Football enough for them). I do not know of the other two blocks. I can respect FSU on their point. However, BC-UConn football and basketball would be good for each schools athletic bottom line: TV money, gate attendance, northeast interest. BC is being too immature to take notice of this fact.

Reaction Score
I honestly think it would help BC if UConn were in the conference in some ways. It would make them more relevant. Honestly, I'm not sure that BC really has a following in New England at all to try to protect. At least if you had a New England rival it would make people in Mass and beyond care about you a little more. Honestly it really just sucks that Connecticut finally had something nationally relevant in the sports world with UConn and folks up in Mass just don't want us to have anything of significance for our state. You guys have NFL, NBA, NHL, BCS level sports and all we really have is UConn and everything was going fine with it. Honestly though, I think UConn will be OK in the long run regardless of what happens. The championships have been won. The brand has been built, it is regional and national and we'll find some way to survive and thrive.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score

And there's the rub: it's really not about the Lawsuit at this point - it's that BC doesn't feel that we can share New England together.

As far as the blocking technique apparently being employed by BC right now, I’m pretty sure that the phone call Herbst made to Leahy included assurances of mutual cooperation in expanding each other’s brand in New England – and that technique has been employed by rival institutions just as much as the blocking technique. BC fans using the argument that 'since UF is doing it to FSU so it's okay that we do it to UConn' are completely off base in their thinking.

Word on the street is that Herbst is also trying to arrange a face-to-face sitdown with Fr. Leahy in the near future. She is absolutely approaching our relationship with BC the right way: healing the wounds, stressing the real economic benefits of two major athletic programs in New England – and acting collegially for a change. Imagine that concept!

Long story short: hatred sells in college sports, and our schools are both sitting on a mint here. Marketed correctly (and together!) a BC-UConn matchup in FB would become white-hot in the northeast before the decade passes. No other regional matchup has this much growth potential for BC - not BC-Pitt, BC-SU, not even BC-UMd with an 8-year headstart.

Blocking UConn would be a grave mistake for the Eagles' athletic programs, long-term...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The SEC "blocks" might be from a competitive standpoint, but they're also from a TV viewership standpoint - which is why the SEC was looking for new markets via WVU, Mizzou, VT and NC. UConn hands the ACC a new market in CT (admittedly, not a huge market in itself) but also strengthens its presence in NYC and Boston.

Let's be realistic here - UConn and BC were conference brethren for 25 or so years. Did UConn prevent BC from having success in its non-football sports? I have heard that BC recruits "nationally". How many recruits is BC really losing to UConn? And is there no advantage to having a geographically close opponent for both football and all the non-revenue sports?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
With all the talk about BC blocking UConn, and the various reasons why this is a terrible thing for UConn, I have a question - how is this any different than what is going on in other states?

Florida/Georgia/Kentucky/South Carolina are going to do what they can to keep FSU/GT/Louisville/Clemson out of the SEC.

While BC and UConn are not in the same state, New England is a pretty small region compared with Texas or Florida (with fair-weather fans who don't breathe and eat college football), why would BC want to split viewership with UConn? Why would they want to add another competitor for local talent who want to play in the ACC? Since BC and UConn's campuses are closer than the examples above, it's a very real concern that BC would be removing their regional advantage, with very little upside.

Please let me know if you can see any difference between why Florida would try to block FSU from the SEC and why BC would try to block UConn from joining the ACC.

First off, Florida/FSU meet every year in football. So do Georgia and GTech. They are already heated rivalries and the schools fiercely compete with their rival already. There isn't that much to gain by putting them in the same conferences.

Secondly, I'm not trying to be snarky but what viewership would BC be giving up? It looks like BC has been hurt by the move to the ACC, not helped. Also, I do not see how adding SU and Pitt will significantly raise BC's viewership. UConn definitely can. It would be good for both schools and I'd suspect even be better for BC.

All past bad feelings aside, BC should be pushing for UConn and a strong 8 team northern divison in the ACC. It would be good for everyone.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I actually think the OP here is correct. I think BC's hold up with UConn joining the ACC is based on recruiting and perceived stature within a market. Right now, they have that "advantage" over us in both areas, at least on the football side. That is the benefit a conference tag can have.

The difference, though, is that those other schools he mentioned blocking local lower-conference schools from joining is that Florida and Texas actually have pull in their conference. BC has none, and might even have a negative effect.

Reaction Score

This works all well and good when the ACC can sit at 14 and no on else wants UConn. What if all the other conferences start going to 16. Pac takes OU, OSU, TT, Texas; SEC takes MO; B1G takes ND and Kansas.

In this scenario, if everyone is going to 16 (which I think we all agree will ultimately happen, what does the ACC do? They have to worry about the SEC poaching 2 of their schools (SEC would probably take WVU and VT in this scenario), but they'd also have to worry about the B1G, who is not taking ISU, Baylor, etc. running out of options. Rutgers is AAU, UConn may be soon.

Would it be better for BC to be in the same conference, or would it be better if UConn was with Rutgers in the a stronger football conference?

I think its in the ACC's interest, and BC's, for UConn to be with them.

Reaction Score
If the ACC was falling apart and UConn was blocking BCU from getting back into the Big East, BCU fans would be whining about it too, saying we are scared of them and we know that we could never compete with their long standing tradition of mediocre football.

I do not deny that if the shoe was on the other foot, the parties would be acting any differently. However since the Big East is run by people that only understand basketball as a revenue sport, it never will be a long-term solution for a football-minded school (unless you are independant).

Yes, it could be that and probably is, but how is that different from BC is scared? BC is scared its market would be cut up. UConn would be in the same position. In many respects, it's been better for both schools to be in different conferences, but for the rivalry of course.

Absolutely, but when fans talk about 'being scared' they're rarely looking at it from a revenue/marketshare perspective.

Long story short: hatred sells in college sports, and our schools are both sitting on a mint here. Marketed correctly (and together!) a BC-UConn matchup in FB would become white-hot in the northeast before the decade passes. No other regional matchup has this much growth potential for BC - not BC-Pitt, BC-SU, not even BC-UMd with an 8-year headstart.

Blocking UConn would be a grave mistake for the Eagles' athletic programs, long-term...

Thank you for the answer. If the rivalry tunes more people into college football in New England, then you're right, the pie (viewership for both schools) gets bigger and in the long term, both schools are better off. However, if the rivalry doesn't grow the pie, the long-term benefits are fewer (not denying that there are no benefits from having an opponent 80 miles away).

The difference, though, is that those other schools he mentioned blocking local lower-conference schools from joining is that Florida and Texas actually have pull in their conference. BC has none, and might even have a negative effect.

I believe our AD is one of the 4 ADs who are on the expansion committee. I have to assume that played a part in offering Pitt and Syracuse last weekend.

Reaction Score
There are pros and cons to both sides.

BCU can potentially kill off their major competitor in the area. Comparisons to Florida and Georgia rivalries are a waste of time. We have a lot of talent in New England, but nothing compared to Florida or Georgia. We're both already recruiting against PSU, Iowa, Notre Dame, which is difficult. From this perspective it makes total sense to kill off UConn while they can.

However, they also stand to gain by the addition of UConn.

The proximity, the bad blood, the big east history, it's an instant rivalry. Away games the fans can actually get in the car and drive too have to be a positive. Together, in the same competitive conference, we are more valuable to the market in New England than we are apart. And lastly, the outside chance we end up in the B1G would be terrible for BCU. They stand more to lose if we were to join the Big 10, than they stand to gain if we get left out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are pros and cons to both sides.

BCU can potentially kill off their major competitor in the area. Comparisons to Florida and Georgia rivalries are a waste of time. We have a lot of talent in New England, but nothing compared to Florida or Georgia. We're both already recruiting against PSU, Iowa, Notre Dame, which is difficult. From this perspective it makes total sense to kill off UConn while they can.

However, they also stand to gain by the addition of UConn.

The proximity, the bad blood, the big east history, it's an instant rivalry. Away games the fans can actually get in the car and drive too have to be a positive. Together, in the same competitive conference, we are more valuable to the market in New England than we are apart. And lastly, the outside chance we end up in the B1G would be terrible for BCU. They stand more to lose if we were to join the Big 10, than they stand to gain if we get left out.
I wrote almost the same thing in another thread although not as well. I guess this means I agree with you.

Reaction Score

With advantages like this ... who needs disadvantages???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom