Quelle surprise.: Big East schools not named WVU are soliciting the Big 12 for an invite | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quelle surprise.: Big East schools not named WVU are soliciting the Big 12 for an invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought maybe you were correct about this but then did some searching and I think the grace period applies to any FBS conference that falls to less than 8 teams as required has 2 years to get back up to 8 teams.
When Miami & V. Tech left for the ACC, UConn was elevated one year early & the Big East functioned with seven for one season until the newbies came on board.

Reaction Score
Dan, people don't give you "much cash" when you announce that you are about to roll over. Bad negotiating strategy.
True, so don't roll over publicly. Play any negotiating game needed just have the objective in mind.

Reaction Score
I thought maybe you were correct about this but then did some searching and I think the grace period applies to any FBS conference that falls to less than 8 teams as required has 2 years to get back up to 8 teams.

Frankly, I'm not sure if that's true or not, as I've read so many conflicting statements on that point. But if we get a automatic bid next year with less than eight teams, than that would not be a factor. There remain others.

Reaction Score
We've been through this before. The Big EAst ahd to petition the NCAA for recognition / exemption to be continued to be recognzed as a division 1-A football conference when they didn't have enough teams in 2003. A minimum of 8 universities with athletic programs fielding a football program that meets 1-A standards, and additionally meets the required number of women's and men's sports programs at division 1 level is what's required to be recognized as a division 1-A football conference.

As far as the BCS is concerned, that organization is entirely separate from the NCAA. BCS AQ status was awarded the Big EAst conference, because they were a founding member of the first incarnation of the organization in 1991. The same way it was awarded to the other conferences that formed the bowl alliance back then. The same 6 that exist now.

Last time I write this - there is NO way that the BCS was written into it's structure that any of those 6 original founders can lose automatic qualifying status. If the AQ status is going to be lost by one, it will be lost by all.

The only way the big east can lose AQ status, as long as AQ status for any conference exists, is if it ceases to exist as a football conference at the division 1-A level.

This was the major problem that was encountered in 2003. In my not so humble opinion, the fact that teh situation had never been seen before, was the only thing that kept the football and basketball programs together in 2003. (in 1994, it was the addition of Notre Dame to the conference that appeased everybody and made them play nicely with others on the playgroudn again. But in 2003, the football programs faced a very real problem of losing BCS status if they separated.

In 2012, there is no danger of the conference splitting anymore, and no motivation to anymore. They finally got it right over there in Providence. There is also precedence with the NCAA for granting a temporary exemption for a 1-A football conference recognition with less than 8 teams, and this situation were in certainly fits the mold.

I remember remarking a few weeks ago, that it would be real interesting to know if the Big East has been in contact with the NCAA about having an exemption put in place should the situation arise where we only have 7 teams for 2012. To date, I have not heard, read, or seen anythign about that happening.

That means it either happened, and nobody is talking about it, or the big east is not concerned in the least about West Virginia not being recognized as a big east affiliated university in 2012.

Reaction Score
The information about the grace period with the NCAA for a conference is correct. That was the precedent that was established in 2003, when the Big East was faced with the situation it was in. Before that, there was no such precedent, as the situation had never been seen before. When the Big 8 conference went through it's dying stage, the coupel of programs that were left standing by themselves, chose to disband, rather than rebuild.

Reaction Score
Everyone acts as if the Big East doesn't have to try to settle with west virginia, and tough on the big 12. The other conferences have other means to move the big east off of 27 months. It doesn't have to be football related, we have the NCAA basketball tournament coming up and selection sunday. The committee has shown previously they don't like to select a large amount of big east teams, don't give them an added reason to leave out big east teams.

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. We would be gone in a second if the ACC would take us.We are no better than Cuse, Pitt, or WVA we just didn't get the opportunity to leave yet. I don't even blame BC or Miami any longer. The BE screwed up when they didn't address the football issue years ago and now it is too late.
The other conferences didn't have to do any poaching because the BE members are begging to leave no matter what they say publicly. My feeling: stop playing games and let WVA and Cuse go after this season.
Uh no. Letting them go unless puts the remaining Big East teams in a bind when it comes to their schedules. Let them honor the bylaws they helped craft. It was put in place to protect them just like everybody else. Now if the Big 12 wants to get involved in making Boise State to the Big East next year and maybe buy them out of their contracts then we could talk. Otherwise, no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom