Quarterback Zion Turner, a true freshman, handed the keys to the UConn football offense (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Quarterback Zion Turner, a true freshman, handed the keys to the UConn football offense (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score

Reverse to article<<<

-> “He went in under tough circumstances,” Mora said. “Ta’Quan got hurt early. He had to play without starter reps in practice. ... A lot of things he was asked to do he had done maybe one time in practice and viewed it on film, maybe walked through it. This week he’ll get a lot of starter reps out there with that group in a very competitive situation. He’ll grow from that. So I think you’ll see a different player this week. I think you’ll see a more confident player.” <-

-> “He doesn’t lack for confidence,” Mora said. “Maybe confidence is the wrong word. I think a better word is a more certain player. More certain of what he’s supposed to do and he’ll play, I believe, more free and he’ll make quicker decisions because of the work he’s getting this week.” <-

Reaction Score
I hope Millen gets plenty of reps too. We went from deep at QB to thin real quick. I always assumed Tyler Phommachanh would be healthy before we lost a QB to injury.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
What is the word on Millen? Is he just not comfortable with the playbook or is it an ability gap?

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<<

->“I definitely was upset after the first game,” Turner said, “certain things didn’t go our way and I definitely could have played way better. I know what I’m capable of and I know all of the mistakes that I made. The situation doesn’t really matter to me – if I get on the field as a quarterback I have to do my job.” That job, he said, is to win football games <-

-> “Now I get to rep a lot of the plays that we’re going to run in the game. It’s just getting comfortable on my reads, knowing where my outlets are, knowing when things break down, where can I go with the ball,” Turner said. “Just knowing those things will help a lot, just being on the same page as my coach as far as game plan and how we want to attack the defense will help us a lot.” <-

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I question that we were ever deep. We hoped to find a diamond in the rough. The starter threw 2 passes. It's not like we lost Joe Montana. We don't know what we lost. If ZT is going to eventually transform into a true QB1, then this might have been the better outcome.

He could also not improve and then we move to the next guy. Week 0 didn't nothing to answer the QB question other than reduce thr number of options by 1.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I question that we were ever deep. We hoped to find a diamond in the rough. The starter threw 2 passes. It's not like we lost Joe Montana. We don't know what we lost. If ZT is going to eventually transform into a true QB1, then this might have been the better outcome.

He could also not improve and then we move to the next guy. Week 0 didn't nothing to answer the QB question other than reduce thr number of options by 1.
On terms of what we've seen in games, this is inarguable. On the other hand, the coaches decided on TR for a reason and to listen to them now, they weren't really even splitting practice reps. Sounds like the plan was for TR to go the whole game.

Reaction Score
On terms of what we've seen in games, this is inarguable. On the other hand, the coaches decided on TR for a reason and to listen to them now, they weren't really even splitting practice reps. Sounds like the plan was for TR to go the whole game.
Oh I have. no doubt that Roberson was the #1. He has been since day 1. Every thing else was a smoke screen. And it isn’t like he didnt come in with credentials. Back up at Penn State as a freshman. Recruited by a bunch of P5s. If we had landed him as a freshman people would have been talking about him like they do Zion now. Yeah, he got hurt after throwing 2 passes and completing 1. So hard to tell much about how he would have done.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<<

->“I definitely was upset after the first game,” Turner said, “certain things didn’t go our way and I definitely could have played way better. I know what I’m capable of and I know all of the mistakes that I made. The situation doesn’t really matter to me – if I get on the field as a quarterback I have to do my job.” That job, he said, is to win football games <-

-> “Now I get to rep a lot of the plays that we’re going to run in the game. It’s just getting comfortable on my reads, knowing where my outlets are, knowing when things break down, where can I go with the ball,” Turner said. “Just knowing those things will help a lot, just being on the same page as my coach as far as game plan and how we want to attack the defense will help us a lot.” <-

I guess I assumed maybe the 1st guy got the reps but all of them are getting/should be getting to "know where to go when things break down and be on same page as coach as far as game plan and how we want to attack the defense? Don't they all sit around and discuss this? So we are saying CM and Tyler Phommachanh aren't getting enough "mental reps". How do we improve on that as it's a long season and Zion will be the focus of some mean defenses and getting nicked up is not out of the question.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So, FWIW, last year Maine lost its starting QB for most of the season in September. Charlton had to turn to a (redshirt) Freshman. Results were mixed, but good enough to go 4-3. You can read more here.

The context is different for us this year, but I have faith in Charlton’s capacity to put Turner in positions where he can manage the game and succeed.

Reaction Score
I guess I assumed maybe the 1st guy got the reps but all of them are getting/should be getting to "know where to go when things break down and be on same page as coach as far as game plan and how we want to attack the defense? Don't they all sit around and discuss this? So we are saying CM and Tyler Phommachanh aren't getting enough "mental reps". How do we improve on that as it's a long season and Zion will be the focus of some mean defenses and getting nicked up is not out of the question.
Saw a video of Cale that showed he would stand behind the other QBs to get the same reps they got, just mentally.

Reaction Score
Oh I have. no doubt that Roberson was the #1. He has been since day 1. Every thing else was a smoke screen. And it isn’t like he didnt come in with credentials. Back up at Penn State as a freshman. Recruited by a bunch of P5s. If we had landed him as a freshman people would have been talking about him like they do Zion now. Yeah, he got hurt after throwing 2 passes and completing 1. So hard to tell much about how he would have done.
I think one thing is certain. Charlton cut down the offense for Zion. No question that TR had a much more robust package than was given to the freshman. When he went out it changed the offense as well as the personnel.

Reaction Score
I think one thing is certain. Charlton cut down the offense for Zion. No question that TR had a much more robust package than was given to the freshman. When he went out it changed the offense as well as the personnel.
Yes. I think that was pretty obvious. I hope we can put in a much more robust package for Saturday.
FWIW, I hate this kind of game. I hate FCS games generally because and this one in particular. We can’t just go out and win. We need to go out and totally dominate, except if we do that we get criticized for running it up but if we don’t it is same old, same old. Be better if we played Wagner…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do we know this for sure? I would expect that Zions package would be different, but not necessarily less plays. Although, I can see Charlton working with the stuff that helps Zion be successful and then expanding the number of plays over time.

For what it’s worth, I expect us to run a lot. Carter and Brewton are just too good weapons to pass up. They’ll be some passes thrown in to change things up and for pacing, but I’m expecting an Edsall-like running game against Central Connecticut.

Reaction Score
If CCSU has any sense they will load the box and force Zion to pass. That's what USU did for the final three quarters and it worked.

Our offensive line may be able to overpower CCSU regardless. Or if we stick with it, we could wear them down. Hopefully Zion has had a good week of practice and it makes the coaches comfortable to open up the playbook.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Gotta figure that if the season's in his hands, and with a full week of prep, they'd want to take the training wheels off and see what they've got.

Reaction Score

Huh? We lost the QB that the staff thought had the best chance to win football games. The fact that you didn't see him play is irrelevant to an assumption that he was the best option.

Reaction Score
Huh? We lost the QB that the staff thought had the best chance to win football games. The fact that you didn't see him play is irrelevant to an assumption that he was the best option.
Great point. We aren’t living in bizarro world anymore. I think these guys gave Roberson the job because he was the best. This isn’t a RE situation where he’s playing favorites based on who he recruited.

Subba’s greater point still holds true though. If Zion is the long term solution, this will have him ready faster than standing on the sideline.

Reaction Score
Do we know this for sure? I would expect that Zions package would be different, but not necessarily less plays. Although, I can see Charlton working with the stuff that helps Zion be successful and then expanding the number of plays over time.

For what it’s worth, I expect us to run a lot. Carter and Brewton are just too good weapons to pass up. They’ll be some passes thrown in to change things up and for pacing, but I’m expecting an Edsall-like running game against Central Connecticut.

I recall Mora saying they had the same (maybe very similar) package for TR and ZT. I would expect some tweaks for each. Against USU, when there was 9 in the box, Charlton was passing. I would expect more of the same. Please, no RE type run patterns, otherwise we punt a lot, play a close game against an FCS opponent, or possibly lose.

Anyone else considering giving the 19+ points?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I recall Mora saying they had the same (maybe very similar) package for TR and ZT. I would expect some tweaks for each. Against USU, when there was 9 in the box, Charlton was passing. I would expect more of the same. Please, no RE type run patterns, otherwise we punt a lot, play a close game against an FCS opponent, or possibly lose.

Anyone else considering giving the 19+ points?
Carter and Brewton can make chunk plays. That’s what keeps you from being locked into run, run, run, punt. I’m not saying we pull out the Randy Edsall playbook, I’m just saying you play to your strengths and we have very good RBs this year and a young QB. To me, that’s a mix that leans a little more heavily on the run.

Reaction Score
Carter and Brewton can make chunk plays. That’s what keeps you from being locked into run, run, run, punt. I’m not saying we pull out the Randy Edsall playbook, I’m just saying you play to your strengths and we have very good RBs this year and a young QB. To me, that’s a mix that leans a little more heavily on the run.

I agree that we lead with the running game and pound it while it’s working. I also think Charlton will starting passing when they load the box and the running is harder.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The one thing I don't want to see is any 3rd quarter "turtle mode"; I'm sure they've got stuff to work on in game conditions...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom