Quarterback selection process. | The Boneyard

Quarterback selection process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recognizing that using 3 quarterbacks can negatively impact the rhythm of the offense, I still am very pleased that Pasqualoni is making his choice based on actual play in real games. As he says, his decision will be based on "production". I think too often quarterbacks are chosen solely based on performance in the spring and in preseason. I wonder if Edsall had done as Pasqualoni is doing, if UConn would have had a different quarterback last year. Johnny Mac, just may have been in there.

Reaction Score
You got to think if Johnny Mac got a solid chance last year he would've took the spot..that being said he/uconn would be in much better shape if Mac had some pt last year.

Reaction Score
Recognizing that using 3 quarterbacks can negatively impact the rhythm of the offense, I still am very pleased that Pasqualoni is making his choice based on actual play in real games. As he says, his decision will be based on "production". I think too often quarterbacks are chosen solely based on performance in the spring and in preseason. I wonder if Edsall had done as Pasqualoni is doing, if UConn would have had a different quarterback last year. Johnny Mac, just may have been in there.

IMO if Edsall was still the coach, Johnny Mac is still running the scout team. I doubt he would have ever given him a fair shot.

Reaction Score
Johnny Mac was a walkon for heavens sake. Very few walkons get much opportunity at quarterback unless there is are a series of injuries, or as is the case this year at UCONN there are outside factors like a new coach and no established starter/backup. How much opportunity do you think Mac would have gotten if Endres didn't screw up? The guy has serious limitations. He can't get out of the way of a 90 year old woman in a walker. He got a chance because A. Endres screwed up; B McCummings and Box were inexperienced and had their own limitations; and C. nebrich is a true freshman. So with no real options out there (Isuppose he could have brought in a JUCO) Pasquolaoni decided to open the copetittion to everyone. To Mac's credit, he rose to the occassion. Or the competition ahsn't been that high. We really don't know which it is yet.

Reaction Score
The inability to not throw crap at Esall is astounding. MacEntee himself has said he never had prepared himself to play before this year in terms of putting in the time between practices. He has put the full blame for not getting a shot on himself. And yet, we have posters here who think they know better than MacEntee that it wasn't about his preparation -- it was about the coach.

Reaction Score
The inability to not throw crap at Esall is astounding. MacEntee himself has said he never had prepared himself to play before this year in terms of putting in the time between practices. He has put the full blame for not getting a shot on himself. And yet, we have posters here who think they know better than MacEntee that it wasn't about his preparation -- it was about the coach.

Well I'm sure if he was lighting it up, FUCRE would have given him a good chance. I don't 100% buy the mea culpa, though. He does a good job at toeing the party line. I'm sure just like every other double sided story, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Reaction Score

MacEntee couldn't have been saying that to deflect controversy from how he was treated and the poor selection of QB execution by HCRE so he could just concentrate of competing now that he was given a legit shot. I'm sure, between pipes, Endres was constantly putting in extra practice time.

Reaction Score
MacEntee couldn't have been saying that to deflect controversy from how he was treated and the poor selection of QB execution by HCRE so he could just concentrate of competing now that he was given a legit shot. I'm sure, between pipes, Endres was constantly putting in extra practice time.

I know you won't buy htis, because it doesn't fit with your image of Edsall as at best incompetent and at worst evil, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps that is the reason that Endres lost out on the starting job every time it was opened to competition? And it couldn't have been that Endres, who had scholarship offers from a few places, was a more talented quarterback than McEntee, could it? How many walkon quarterbacks start for Division 1A programs, Husky68? Can you name 2? Walk ons, especially quarterback walkons, are insurance policies.

Reaction Score
I know you won't buy htis, because it doesn't fit with your image of Edsall as at best incompetent and at worst evil, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps that is the reason that Endres lost out on the starting job every time it was opened to competition? And it couldn't have been that Endres, who had scholarship offers from a few places, was a more talented quarterback than McEntee, could it? How many walkon quarterbacks start for Division 1A programs, Husky68? Can you name 2? Walk ons, especially quarterback walkons, are insurance policies.

A couple that are starters now:
Matt McGloin, Penn State
Will Stein, Lousiville
Bobby Eveld, USF (started against us last year)

Reaction Score
Hunter Cantwell walked on to Louisville and turned into an excellent college QB. Aaron Rodgers' only offer out of High School was as a walk on.

There have been rumblings for a couple years now that McEntee had talent. It's not just a recent development. For a guy who hadn't played in a game in 4 years McEntee looked darn good last week. It would not surprise me if he developed into a solid QB for us.

Reaction Score
A couple that are starters now:
Matt McGloin, Penn State
Will Stein, Lousiville
Bobby Eveld, USF (started against us last year)
McGloin's opportunity came as a result of bizzare circumstances, really. the starter got clobbered an left with a concussion and the #2 qb missed the game because of the stomach flu. He was around as an insurance policy and did the job. Eveld played because of injuries, too, and isn't the starter now. Don't really know the story of Stein. But the point remains that walkons don't generally get much attention. When they do it is generally because of some unusual situation like a coaching change, or an injury or more likely a series of injuries.

Reaction Score
McGloin's opportunity came as a result of bizzare circumstances, really. the starter got clobbered an left with a concussion and the #2 qb missed the game because of the stomach flu. He was around as an insurance policy and did the job. Eveld played because of injuries, too, and isn't the starter now. Don't really know the story of Stein. But the point remains that walkons don't generally get much attention. When they do it is generally because of some unusual situation like a coaching change, or an injury or more likely a series of injuries.

Right. Gotcha. Just presenting facts. I appreciate your analysis.

Reaction Score

Walkons don't get much attention if they don't have the talent to compete. If they do have the talent, walkons play. It happens all the time. Easley, Donald Thomas, Fiedelson. I think our current fullback is a walkon

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Yeah, BL, PP would have loved it if his leader said the previous coach was stupid and thats why he didn't get a shot.

Honestly, what do you think JM should say in that situation? I really think you are too smart to read too much into these kind of quotes.

Reaction Score
He was asked to name 1 walk on QB who was a starter, he named 3. Point to jpm25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom