QB situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it is possible but I'd love to see them teach McEntee a bit of pocket presence - staying on the balls of his feet and light instead of being somewhat flat-footed (I'm not football coach but it seemed like McEntee was like a statue in the pocket most of the time). Other than that, I thought he was a much better passer than Nebrich. Way more accurate. Loved that first play-action pass to I. Moore in the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
staying on the external reproductive organs of his feet and light instead of being somewhat flat-footed
LOL!

I don't care who's under center as long as when the clock hits 00:00, we've scored more points than our opponents. Just win baby.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it is possible but I'd love to see them teach McEntee a bit of pocket presence - staying on the external reproductive organs of his feet and light instead of being somewhat flat-footed (I'm not football coach but it seemed like McEntee was like a statue in the pocket most of the time). Other than that, I thought he was a much better passer than Nebrich. Way more accurate. Loved that first play-action pass to I. Moore in the 1st quarter.

So the profanity filter changes the word "ballz" to " external reproductive organs"? You're kidding me, right? Ballz!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know, but you can't type b-a-l-l-s. It comes out as balls.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Wow, didn't see that edit coming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching the Red Sox they are hitting a lot of balls deep.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmn this has profanity Friday possibilities

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. My Take on the QB's:

McEntee has a chance to develop into a decent QB, but he has got to make his reads quicker. He just hung onto the ball way too long. I think (hope) the quicker reads will come with experience and confidence. It might take a while and there will probably be some ugly games in the near future. If he keeps holding onto the ball the way he did today he is going to take some huge hits. Did anyone else think McEntee's manerisms made him look like Joe Montana? He didn't play like Joe Montana, but he looks like Joe Montana on the field.

McCummings is a real talent. Easily the higest ceiling of the three. It's pretty obvious that P's plan for him is to be the wildcat QB. I like what we saw out of the wildcat today and you can bet they saved alot of different looks for Vanderbilt. I predicted that P would use a wildcat QB based on his being at Miami when their wildcat was creating waves in the NFL. McCummings has a bright future. If the wildcat starts producing more than McEntee, we'll probably see the option become our base offense.

Nebrich looked small out there. Flutie like. I love the fact that he seemed fearless. He is much more decisive than McEntee. McEntee was afraid to make mistakes, Nebrich just let it fly. The kid has great pocket awareness and seems like he will be capable of creating plays on his own. I'm surprised we didn't see him run more option, maybe P thinks he is too small right now to take the hits.

Overall, based on what I saw today, I think we are in for some growing pains. I agree that no questions were really answered today. Our defense is going to need to be dominant in order for us to have a winning record in the league. We don't have Jordan Todman anymore.

No inside handoffs today.

Reaction Score
Nothing was setled this week. Mac turned a sure TD into a ball that should have been picked. He had time in the pocket that he will NEVER see again.

McCumming was the most effective QB but he was only used as a change up.

Nebrich didn't really get a chance and his pick was caused by a WR/TE mix up.

Practice will determine the starter.

McCummings threw once. A trick play for a 55yd TD. If that's your definition of effective...
McEntee should have been picked on that long throw, but all the others looked good. He's not Kellen Moore of Boise St., but he's decent for game 1.

Reaction Score
i thought all 3 had moments...good and bad.

the good thing is that none of them looked bad !!!.

you have to give Moorhead a lot of credit. all three looked ready to play. i love that play action toss to Griffin. it seemed like the last few seasons we'd spend the whole game setting up for the play action and then we'd hardly ever utilize it

Reaction Score
McCummings threw once. A trick play for a 55yd TD. If that's your definition of effective...
McEntee should have been picked on that long throw, but all the others looked good. He's not Kellen Moore of Boise St., but he's decent for game 1.
McCummings also lost the ball inside the five. Yeah I know it was determined that it wasn't a fumble, but it still happened. With the reports from practice that he had the Cody Endress syndrome (losing the ball) it bears watching.

Reaction Score
i think they all lookd really good at their roles. mcentee can really sling it, mccummings is physically imposing, a strong runner, and nebrich has tremendous pocket presence, escapability, and courage.

nebrich reminds me a lot of matt grothe, who always scared me when we played USF.

Reaction Score
I think all three QB's had positives. McEntee is my choice and is clearly the best passer. His best play was called back when he hit a guy in stride under pressure for a nice gain but an illegal formation was called.

I'm not a big fan of the wildcat because it usually means an obvious direct snap run if your QB is a poor passer. Don't like the idea of one QB effectively taking the team downfield only to get yanked in the red zone either. In game 1 give a guy the opportunity to prove he can or can't get the job done. That said McCummings has some talent and could probably get the job done if needed. Nice that he didn't miss a wide open guy for a TD but he was really all alone.

I didn't see Nebrich enough to get a real feel except for the general consensus he has a bright future. (I was painting then had to leave after 3qtrs for a soccer game). Made a nice run for a first down but those runs may not be so easy against better competition.

I'm glad we have 3 QB's competing hard. I like them all for different reasons but feel right now JM should be the guy, even in the red zone.

Reaction Score
Now that Nebrich's redshirt is blown, I think he's the guy I want to see. I feel like his problems are experience related, and can be fixed that way. I'm not convinced McEntee is "better enough" than him to turn down the chance to develop our future QB. Nebrich's upside is huge. I like the Grothe comp.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know how the rule reads but I am not sure that Nebrich's redshirt has been blown yet. This does not mean that the staff has any intention of redshirting him but if he were to not see the field any more this season, we could apply for a redshirt for him.

That said, he didn't look bad but he also does not yet appear ready for this level (whis can change over the next few weeks) but I believe that the staff wants him to win the job (and will give him every opportunity).

On his pick, someone blew his route (unless the play called for two recievers within two yards of each other) but MN stared directly at where he was going to throw the ball from the second he got the snap.

I liked the idea that we were willing to try to establish a pass offense but I really did expect to see more dominance (especially from the O-Line) than what I saw today. I also felt (almost immediately after that play) that we should have saved the pass (for a TD) to Ryan Griffin (off a fake option run) for the final twenty minutes of a close conference game. I would greatly prefer to have that in our arsenal without the rest of the BE knowing about it.

I'm hoping that the defensive adjustments to spread passing attacks were kept under wraps as the only situations where we moved from a 4-3-4 were on third down and very long. There were a few plays (one really hurt us) where we had one too few defensive backs to cover the wideouts on one side of the field. We cannot do this against anyone else on our schedule. I was surprised to see so few blitzes (I counted two, Sio got a sack on one) after reading about how aggressive Brown wanted us to be at the point of attack. My hope is that the plan was to keep these under wraps.

One additional thing is that I could have sworn that in one of his early interviews, Pasqualoni spoke of how important he felt being able to punt between the numbers and the sidelines was. Every punt today was between the hashmarks (almost dead midfield each time).

We got sloppy far too many times on defense and I'm very concerned that we are attempting to do too many things on offense while still attempting to learn a new system. I would greatly prefer an attempt to perfect the execution of fewer of plays from far fewer formations and once these are mastered, begin adding new things to the offense. Running as much as we did today, this early into a new system will lead to a lot of mistakes.

Next Saturday evening should tell us a lot.

Reaction Score
FCF is right...technically they could apply for a medical/hardship redshirt if Nebrich participates in less than 30% of the season and has some type of injury that can pass mustard. I'm not advocating bending the rules or faking an injury but based on what I saw today, it really looks like Nebrich could use the season to get bigger / stronger / more comfortable with the offense. Definitely an athlete and may well be the QB of the future but Mac and McCummings looked better this afternoon.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Agree on the punting game. Not impressed today with that but overall I'll take the win and the valuable game experience it provided a lot of guys that needed it.

Reaction Score
I hope JMac is the starter. Maybe use McCummings sparingly. But this QB roulette stuff only works well in video games.

Reaction Score
I hope JMac is the starter. Maybe use McCummings sparingly. But this QB roulette stuff only works well in video games.
I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of what the 2006 Florida Gators did. Obviously not saying we have Chris Leak & Tim Tebow on the roster, but the concept could still work.

Reaction Score
That worked because Tebow was basically a fullback that took a direct snap. Leak was the only true QB. That could work for us if McCummings can get outside faster.

Reaction Score
Agree on the punting game. Not impressed today with that but overall I'll take the win and the valuable game experience it provided a lot of guys that needed it.

Pretty sure P had Wagner working on his pooch punts. After years of booming the ball out of the endzone and netting 18 yards of field position, P sees the necessity to learn how to pooch punt. Wagner admitted himself that he has struggled with this in practice and I am guessing that P used this game to try to work on this. Wagner struggled ... but hopefully he comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom