QB situation | The Boneyard

QB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His confidence is shot... he had Griffin WIDE OPEN and overthrew him... Don't think this young man realized what he got himself into... A TON is expected if you're gonna be the starting QB at UCONN... This ain't highschool ball where you can get away with a ton of shotty QB play but still win.... Unexceptable.. completely... and it's not just Johnny Mac... McCummings too.. I'd rather see Nebrich go thru growing pains and run the team.. We need a leader on offense... 3 QBs is not the answer... Right now the coaches are the leaders on the field... and they aren't even playing... Recipe for disaster....

Reaction Score
I like mccumming's has big upside. can run very well and seems to be a pretty decent passer. He gives us the best chance to win.

Reaction Score
I like mccumming's has big upside. can run very well and seems to be a pretty decent passer. He gives us the best chance to win.
If Nebrich had started this game and played 3 quarters, I'm firmly convinced we would have won this game. He is by far the smartest and most poised of the 3 QB's. so far I'm not enamored of CoachP, but I'll give him another year to see how he recruits. I like Mccummings too, in certain situations but Nebrich is the guy. Either of these two guys could have and would have run for the last two yards we needed. Forget Mcentee, he doesn't have the smarts or the passing accuracy to run the team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nebrich took two absolutely terrible sacks, one of which cost us 3 points. I think he could be a good QB someday, but he is just not ready.

I would actually prefer McCummings, although McEntee was much, much better than last week. Switching QB's drives me crazy though.

Reaction Score
Start Nebrich at home vs Buffalo. It's time. He'll beat Buffalo, gain confidence, and then beat WMU, and will be ready for Big East play.

F

fortebleedsblue

I may have missed it ... but have any of the QB's thrown the ball away under pressure so far this year? I recall McEntee once throwing it to a WR's feet when in trouble but I don't recall seeing a QB read his options .. realize nothing is there and throw it out of bounds. That seems like the better option than taking a sack.

Reaction Score
Start Nebrich at home vs Buffalo. It's time. He'll beat Buffalo, gain confidence, and then beat WMU, and will be ready for Big East play.
I agree, I rather take freshmen lumps with him and run some wild cat with McCummings..u tube hit the bench

Reaction Score
McCummings isn't the future QB.......missed at least two wide open receives that even Frazer would have connected with.......and one was a TD by a mile

The D's are pretty much stuffing the run......don't need a QB to get stuffed also

Nebrich......not sure......took too many sacks

Reaction Score
Nebrich was the worst of the 3 QBs last night. Sure he had one first down run but absolutely no pocket presence and the inability to read defensive schemes . The game is just too fast and too complex for a 18 year old kid. Pretty sure we're going to see him with a baseball hat and headphones on the sidelines the rest of the season. We absolutely should have redshirted him but that's water under the bridge now.

Mac going 13-30 isn't going to cut it, especially since he poses no threat of running. Hope we go with McCummings next week at Buffalo. He is the most athletic of the three and gets at least 3-4 yards on every keeper / option purely due to his size and strength. McCummings' passing will improve with more experience, thanks to his arm and mechanics.

Best / likely case scenario, we are 3-2 after Buffalo and WMU with 1 QB ready to go for Big East play.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how anybody can watch the first two games and think one QB is clearly better than the other two. I think we have three deeply flawed QB's and no matter who we put in, we're in for a long season from that perspective. If it was up to me, I'd probably play Nebrich, since he's the youngest and possibly has the highest ceiling, but I can't fault the coaches for playing either of the other two. They've all been all over the place, and none of them have played nearly mistake-free enough for me to be super impressed. Whoever we choose is going to have some very serious growing pains out there.

Reaction Score
playing against 3 QBs last night was a bitch to say the least since we never knew what was coming. i think nebrich should be your starter and move mccummings to WR/wildcat QB and let him gain experience there. id also cut the trick shot dude and use his scholarship on a better player. i think he needs to play with a blind fold all the time because thats about the only time he can complete a pass after watching him last night. your freshman are the way to go and definitely have a big upside. it now seems more likely than ever that this game will be a conference game in future years

Reaction Score
I'll say this and it was probably stated last night in the game thread, but having McCummings run two plays in the fourth and set up a third and nine (after McCummings had led a couple of first downs) only to bring in McAntee in to throw one pass on third and nine after having sat for a while, was unfair to Johnny, and idiotic.

I guess what I'm seeing is that these coaches have no confidence in any of these QBs.

Reaction Score
There's still no easy call yet, but at this point McCummings seems to be the one that gives the offense the most mobility IMO. He's not the most accurate passer, but he's made some plays already. Wouldn't mind seeing him start next week just to see what more he can do but it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Coach P go with Johnny Mac again.

Reaction Score

The 50/50 ball Scott tossed in my direction was a prayer answered by his WR. It could just as easily have been a pick. The other point is that he is not put in pressure situations. Whenever JMac throughs a decent ball and gets us down the field, or gives us a second and less than 5, Scott trots out with nothing to lose. If he succeeds great. If he doesn't JMac is sent back out on third and long to face the music. I think it sucks and it doesn't surprise me he has found it difficult to succeed under this circumstance.

IMHO if the mibile QB is considered a necessity let Mike have the job. He can run and pass which none of the other 2 can. Personally I think if JM or MN were named the starter their preparation and performance would be noticeably improved. With Scott I think the running is OK but the passing has been somewhat illusory. I've given up on the carousel. It's setting us back at this point.

Reaction Score
I agree, I rather take freshmen lumps with him and run some wild cat with McCummings..u tube hit the bench

If Nebrich is the QB, why do you need to sub him out to run the wildcat?

Reaction Score
And Michael Box ran away from this competition? He can't have been worse than " Trick Shot".

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
A TON is expected if you're gonna be the starting QB at UCONN....

I can understand being a running back, but a QB? Since 2004 do you really expect a ton from that position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul