QB situation - Burn the shirt? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB situation - Burn the shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Burning a RS to get to a NC game and burning a RS to get to the Beef O'Brady's bowl are two different things.

It wasn't to get to the NC game. It was in a 9-3 season. My point is just that you don't worry about RS if the kid can give you the best chance of winning today. If it were definite that Casey gives UConn a chance to win over Cincy, you play him. 4 years from now is an eternity.

I'm not convinced that he'd give us the best chance though. To me, that is the question. Not where or what Casey will be in 3+ years.

Reaction Score
It wasn't to get to the NC game. It was in a 9-3 season. My point is just that you don't worry about RS if the kid can give you the best chance of winning today. If it were definite that Casey gives UConn a chance to win over Cincy, you play him. 4 years from now is an eternity.

I'm not convinced that he'd give us the best chance though. To me, that is the question. Not where or what Casey will be in 3+ years.

If he really were that good, then maybe. It just seems like a waste to me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Assumption - Whitmer is out (which l hope is not the case) and McCummings is not a full game option (which l believe would be true).

If Johnny Mac is overwhelmed by what he sees from Cincy or gets hurt AND the game is winnable, do you burn Cochran's redshirt? The only other option would a strictly scout team guy (didn't look up his name - no disrespect) who signed on never expecting to see the field.

No, I don't burn it. But it's a tough decision. I think the gameplan (if Whitmer can't go) will be McEntee and a heck of alot of run plays, short passes and rely on the D. Wildcat will be mixed in quite a bit more too, I think. I think Coach Brown will have his side of the ball ready knowing that it will likely be on their shoulders if they become bowl eligible or not.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever think that Cochran may not be happy if he doesn't get the shot to play? Would hate to see him transfer...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Anyone ever think that Cochran may not be happy if he doesn't get the shot to play? Would hate to see him transfer...

Yes....the first 11 games were not enough to push him over the edge and put in for a transfer....but missing the 12th game....oh man!!!

Reaction Score
I'll be very surprised if Whitmer isn't ready. That said, no you don't burn the redshirt. I'm not at practice every day like the coaches but I saw nothing in the spring that made me think Cochran will give you a better chance to win vs Cincy. Let him keep his redshirt and continue to develop and get stronger at the position.

Reaction Score
My sense is Whitmer will be cleared and good to go but it wouldn't surprise me in the leadt that it may not be announced to late in the week if not game- time.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Cochran rated just as high as Lagow? Personally, I would like to see McCummings. Screen passes, wildcat, play action, our offense might actually have some complexity to it for the first time all year, and a slight chance exists that Cincy won't know the exact play we are running before we run it.

Having a zero throw option does not add complexity to an offense. Casey may be the best talent on the bench, but if he isn't ready you don't burn the redshirt. I also think the redshirt is overrated and if a bowl game is on the line you go for the win. Lastly, if our gameplan resembles the second half of yesterday's game it won't matter who the QB is. Change that and we have a shot without turnovers.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Didn't USF just burn a redshirt in their last game of the season and the kid got injured almost right away? Hard to believe Skip Holtz got an extension, isn't it?

Reaction Score
Didn't USF just burn a redshirt in their last game of the season and the kid got injured almost right away? Hard to believe Skip Holtz got an extension, isn't it?

Yup - Bobby Eveld. The extension was last summer - doesn't mean they won't eat it (not sure they do it though but he did get the dreaded vote of confidence recently).

Reaction Score
First of all, you are going to throw in a kid who has never played a down of D-1 football against a very stout Cincy defense, and I would argue that you have no better chance of winning with him in right now as you do with Mac.

Secondly, we still don't know very much about Lagow. For more on this, I will invoke the memory of Nebrich, who was the all-time state of Virginia yards leader but was clearly not ready for D-1 ball (regardless of what many would say on this board).

So....NO.

Glad I read this post before I posted. It is exactly what I was going to post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cochran wasn't even in the conversation for the job before he broke his wrist.

If you saw the spring game you'd think this was lunacy to even consider.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JMac has a score to settle with the Bearcats. He's our starter if Whitmer can't go.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Only way you burn the redshirt is if he clearly gives you the best chance to win but I really doubt that's the case. I would rather go with the guy who has started for a full season in this offense. Cochran hasn't played at game speed since he was in high school. So even if they are close, those factors swing it back towards JMac.

Reaction Score
JMac and S McC. I don't see how you put CC in here unless he's been getting 2nd team snaps for a few weeks. I like the angle on JMac with a score to settle. If JMac gets hurt I'd go with Scotty running read option and we'll find out if he can throw it.

Reaction Score
J Mac doesn't get hurt and he has a monster game. The O-line steps up. Everyone expects a running game and a dink and a dunk, but he goes deep early and often. The Huskies go bowling and the cats go home with their tail between their legs.

Reaction Score
The last two times we didn't go bowling, Cincy ended our chances. They did it at home, on senior day, in '06, putting us at 4-7 in a game where Butler got beat deep in the clutch and a 4th Q missed Extra Point factored in. And they did it in Cincy last year to end our season at 5-7. While they have a 5-2 edge over us since we joined the Big East, '06 was the only time we lost to them at the Rent as we beat them in '08 (with Endres starting his first game) and in '10 (setting up our trip to Tampa for the Fiesta Bowl bid).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If playing Cochran gives you the best chance to win, you play him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but does he? I could see it earlier in the year, so that at least he gets experience and a chance to grow into the job, but with 1 game left? If Whitmer can't play you go with Johnny Mac, and have McCummings ready if needed.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yeah but does he? I could see it earlier in the year, so that at least he gets experience and a chance to grow into the job, but with 1 game left? If Whitmer can't play you go with Johnny Mac, and have McCummings ready if needed.
This is basically all there is to say.

If Whitmer went down long term with 6 games remaining, you could argue to play a true Freshman. He is more likely to improve throughout the year than JMac and this experience could pay off in the long run. But at this point with 1 game left the Redshirt is too valuable.

I agree that in general a Redshirt is overblown - if a true Freshman is an 7 on a scale of 1-10 and someone else is a 6.5, you go with the Freshman to try to win now. You never know what will happen down the road with recruiting, transfers and health. But with just 1 game left, I would rather keep Cochran's year of eligibility incidentally for those same reasons. What happens if Lagow just isn't that good? Or if he just doesn't mesh with our WRs or if he decides to not sign because he thinks he can play sooner elsewhere? Redshirting Cochran helps to hedge against that kind of uncertainty.

Again, if this decision was being made when we were 3-4 or so the thought process would be different but I think that in a 1 game situation you go with the guy who has already run this offense and actually has D1 experience. Even if CC is slightly better than JMac today (and will hopefully be much better down the line), the benefit of an extra year for CC far outweighs 1 game this year that he gives us at best a 5% better chance of winning if he even gives us a better chance at all.

Reaction Score
It isn't like everyone has been waiting for Cochran expecting him to be the next Payton Manning (who by the way was being redshirted until the starter got hurt half way through his freshman year). Based on the Spring game, he was #4 in a 4 man rotation. I think you go with Mac. And assuming he stays healthy, that is the end of it. Something happens to him you go with McCummings and hope for the best. What you're really talking about is burning a redshirt for less than a full game. And you'd have to be convinced that he would make the difference. You wouldn't do it on a hope. I suspect nobody is convinced he would be "the one" either given the way we recruited quarterbacks around him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Based on the Spring game, he (CC) was #4 in a 4 man rotation.

I disagree. There was a huge drop after #1, but I thought Cochran was the clear #2.

Reaction Score
This is not a difficult question.

You blow Cochran's redshirt only if Whitmer, McCummings, and McEntee are out of the game and physically cannot play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom