QB Shirreffs Looks Comfortable In Leadership Role At UConn (Des) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB Shirreffs Looks Comfortable In Leadership Role At UConn (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone should get a hat like Diaco's. Really protects you from the sun. If you see a crazy ol lady wearing a huge bucket like hat at the games, it's me. I, dealing with my third bout with skin cancer and it's not pretty.

So plaster on the sun block and get a big hat.

Go UConn. Go Huskies.

I personally think the hat is awesome. So wear on!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And you remember that because it was so rare for a successful team to do it. And Tebow was used mainly inside the 10 to run the football. He threw a few passes usually go open tight ends when the defense came up.
Qualify it all you want but the best reason you remember Tebow and Chris Leak is because Florida won the National Championship. LSU also won the National Championship in 2007 with Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux.

Nick Saban considered a Two QB system last season and he also was preparing for OSU to use it in the CFP semi-final and Oklahoma used it in 2012 (Landy Jones and Blake Bell).

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson in 1998 as well.

I think splitting time 51%/49% like Diaco intended last year is not a wise strategy, but a QB coming in certain situations isn't a 100% terrible idea, so long as one guy is heads and shoulders better than the other in a particular facet of the game. For Instance I would not use Shirreffs to get down the field and then sub in Boyle to run it into the endzone, just because. Shirreffs is the the better runner.

One thing is for sure. They have to get on the same page with the PA announcer so he doesn't alert everyone East of the River that a new player is taking snaps.

Reaction Score
Multiple QBs is fairly common in college. Sometimes coaches choose to use it. Even Edsall used it on occasion. He still does at Maryland. If you can get your back up some live experience, it accelerates the learning curve if a change is needed.

Notre Dame will run a two-QB system this year, many teams will. Texas said they will use it. Nothwestern has been successful with it. Urban Meyer hasn't ruled it out. It is much more common than folks think.

Just because the NFL doesn't use it, doesn't mean it cant be successful in college. It has won national championship.

Reaction Score
Tebow and Leak did not split time at QB. Tebow came in for short-yardage situations, basically functioning as a fullback. He threw the ball 33 times all season, to Leak's 365 attempts. Similar thing with Flynn and Perrilloux. 359 attempts for Flynn, 75 for Perrilloux. 55 of Perrilloux's attempts came in the MTSU game and the Tennessee game, when Flynn was injured. Other than that, he had a handful of garbage-time snaps. Perrilloux only took one snap in the championship game.

Reaction Score
Qualify it all you want but the best reason you remember Tebow and Chris Leak is because Florida won the National Championship. LSU also won the National Championship in 2007 with Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux.

Nick Saban considered a Two QB system last season and he also was preparing for OSU to use it in the CFP semi-final and Oklahoma used it in 2012 (Landy Jones and Blake Bell).

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson in 1998 as well.

I think splitting time 51%/49% like Diaco intended last year is not a wise strategy, but a QB coming in certain situations isn't a 100% terrible idea, so long as one guy is heads and shoulders better than the other in a particular facet of the game. For Instance I would not use Shirreffs to get down the field and then sub in Boyle to run it into the endzone, just because. Shirreffs is the the better runner.

One thing is for sure. They have to get on the same page with the PA announcer so he doesn't alert everyone East of the River that a new player is taking snaps.

The last line is important.

Reaction Score
Everyone should get a hat like Diaco's. Really protects you from the sun. If you see a crazy ol lady wearing a huge bucket like hat at the games, it's me. I, dealing with my third bout with skin cancer and it's not pretty.

So plaster on the sun block and get a big hat.

Go UConn. Go Huskies.
Bought my last year due to my need for shade since I'm bald. Not exactly the Diaco Hat but close enough. I bought one for my son with the shaved head and he thought it was corny but now wears it all the time doing yard work since it also covers the top of his ears and the wind can't blow it off as it can be tightened very easily. The other hats that were mentioned early last year were the bucket type hats that Lt. Provenza wears on the TV show Major Crimes . I wouldn't wear one of those on a dare. You do what you got to do. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Hmmm.

I wonder if there is a market demand here that can be created for a Bushwood Country Club Carl Spackler Bucket Hat. Attach a little Boneyard logo somewhere on the brim. I wonder what it would cost to acquire patents and such.

I will provide a number account in Grand Cayman for my royalty distribution on all sales.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
All I know is he better not pull this BS again...

Reaction Score
UConn, since Orlovsky, has had the worst development and recruiting of QB imaginable. I think a lot of the kids we brought in were just not talented enough and then we never saw anyone excel. It's a putrid 10+ years.

These 4? I am optimistic. We have kids that I think can step up and play; they aren't grabbing a kid that is a big reach. I cannot think of many that edge out this quartet of candidates. (except that damn kid who starred at Fordham ... and Cunniff) Seriously, I think we might have something here.

Reaction Score
UConn, since Orlovsky, has had the worst development and recruiting of QB imaginable. I think a lot of the kids we brought in were just not talented enough and then we never saw anyone excel. It's a putrid 10+ years.

These 4? I am optimistic. We have kids that I think can step up and play; they aren't grabbing a kid that is a big reach. I cannot think of many that edge out this quartet of candidates. (except that damn kid who starred at Fordham ... and Cunniff) Seriously, I think we might have something here.

Part of that was self inflicted. When we made the bump up to the Big East conference, Edsall turned the offense into a one-dimensional shell of a playbook that involved at most a dozen plays and as the offense became more and more one-dimensional, it sure appeared that Edsall had more and more trouble filling in the skill positions other than RB and FB. Negative feedback cycle of sorts.

It's also the nature of the QB position, that players move around and an injury can change things dramatically (or not getting an injury). If you have a player that can play the position for multiple years, there are going to be other players in the depth chart that if they want playing time - are going to get antsy in the pantsy.

To my knowledge since Orlovsky, Chandler Whitmer is the only QB to come out of UCONN that has taken an NFL snap in practice or any way otherwise. He was in an Eagles rookie camp. Nebrich at Fordham, Box I think played at a 1-AA school.

The best QB we've had since Orlovsky was a transfer out of Notre Dame that was 4th on the depth chart there, and he threw the football equivalent of Wakefield knuckleball. Before that Tyler Lorenzen couldn't throw to hit the side of a barn. Our projected starter right now, is a transfer out of NC State,and for a few years now, we've actually had QB's that can throw a ball mechanically pretty well. that's only the physical aspect of the position though. Frazer was a great QB, and couldn't throw as was Lorenzen.

We're not going to draw polished QB's out of high school programs very well, until we can demonstrate an offense on the field, that said type of QB will want to play in.

Reaction Score
Hmmm.

I wonder if there is a market demand here that can be created for a Bushwood Country Club Carl Spackler Bucket Hat. Attach a little Boneyard logo somewhere on the brim. I wonder what it would cost to acquire patents and such.

I will provide a number account in Grand Cayman for my royalty distribution on all sales.
I'd buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate