QB Shirreffs Looks Comfortable In Leadership Role At UConn (Des) | The Boneyard

QB Shirreffs Looks Comfortable In Leadership Role At UConn (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>"He goes out there and he tries to take command and it's really nice to see and it's what the team needs, what the offense needs," UConn coach Bob Diaco said of Shirreffs, who was named the No.1 quarterback after spring practice. "[Junior] Timmy [Boyle] has done the same thing, raised his game, [junior college transfer] Garrett [Anderson], those three are battling but Bryant in particular has done a nice job leading that group."

Diaco has been evaluating since Anderson, a dual threat like Shirreffs, joined the program in June and needed to get acclimated. UConn wants to name its starter two weeks before the Sept. 3 home opener against Villanova.

Anderson (6-1, 236) and Boyle (6-3, 224), the most experienced, looked fine Wednesday but for a guy who had to sit out a season per NCAA rules and learn a new system, Shirreffs looks, well, comfortable.<<

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
>>"Two things: The coaches say they're going to need Boyle. He's going to play."<<

Fireworks in 5, 4, 3...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Enough of this crap. Sherrifs can't lead if he's not named the clear #1. Boyle should be told to practice hard because you never know what can happen during a game - injuries / poor play / etc. Sherrifs should get the first three games - 100% of the snaps and if its not looking positive, then ponder a change at that time.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
>>"Two things: The coaches say they're going to need Boyle to hold on extra points and field goals. He's going to play special teams and QB in blowout wins."<<

Fireworks in 5, 4, 3...
FIFY

Reaction Score
I'll wait to see this before I believe it. But if he pulls the same utter nonsense that he did last year with the QB carousel, then I suspect more than a few posters around here won't be pleased.
if I were the AD I'd fire him on the spot if he sends Boyle, or any other quarterback in in the middle of a drive like he did multiple times last year. First time he does it I'd come down to the sidelines and tell him to get the heck out and don't come back. It proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he does not understand the most fundamental principle of the game and further that he is too indecisive to be a head coach.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
if I were the AD I'd fire him on the spot if he sends Boyle, or any other quarterback in in the middle of a drive like he did multiple times last year. First time he does it I'd come down to the sidelines and tell him to get the heck out and don't come back. It proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he does not understand the most fundamental principle of the game and further that he is too indecisive to be a head coach.

I'd tell you to calm down but I agree with you. Bad comment to make in the press at this point regardless of what he meant by it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I am very, very thankful that you are not our AD.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
And lose the crazy bush hat Bob.
He looks a lot, and sounds a lot, like groundskeeper Carl Spackler. And not our Carl Spackler. Btw.

Get a nice panama hat like Saban. That is sharp as !!!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I am very, very thankful that you are not our AD.

Let's be real, if that were the case than the firing would've occured in the middle of the QB intro press conference last year.

Reaction Score

Ala Pat Haden?

Reaction Score
If he knows how to deal with blitzes and pressure. He is the leader !!

Reaction Score

Some of the sound bites you are hearing about multiple qb's is to keep the opposition guessing about how to prepare for UCONN. Don't believe everything you
hear and read. If Sherriffs is the starter, Boyle will get some reps to show different looks. If Sheriffs is running all over the field he will get gassed and banged up at times. There will be a strategy for those situations. As I have posted earlier, Ohio State won the National Championship with their 3rd string QB. We are fortunate to have options at qb. Remember what happened to Taysom Hill last year? Casy Cochran?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
He looks a lot, and sounds a lot, like groundskeeper Carl Spackler. And not our Carl Spackler. Btw.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Nobody uses multiple quarterbacks by choice. OSU did it out of necessity not choice. And in today's game quarterbacks run all the time and most do not end up injured, or "gassed". If the starter goes down its next man up just like it is if the center or the left tackle goes down. But you don't change tackles just to get a guy experience in case the #1 goes down. As I've said before you have your Quarterback and you have backups. If you don't have 1 quarterback you have none.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Nobody uses multiple quarterbacks by choice. OSU did it out of necessity not choice. And in today's game quarterbacks run all the time and most do not end up injured, or "gassed". If the starter goes down its next man up just like it is if the center or the left tackle goes down. But you don't change tackles just to get a guy experience in case the #1 goes down. As I've said before you have your Quarterback and you have backups. If you don't have 1 quarterback you have none.
I tend to agree - except Meyers Florida Team with Tebow and Whats his name...

Reaction Score
And you remember that because it was so rare for a successful team to do it. And Tebow was used mainly inside the 10 to run the football. He threw a few passes usually go open tight ends when the defense came up.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that "Boyle is going to play" because minor injuries here and there are basically inevitable. When's the last time UConn went a season without the backup quarterback playing significant minutes in at least one game?

Reaction Score

Get a nice panama hat like Saban. That is sharp as !!!

Everyone should get a hat like Diaco's. Really protects you from the sun. If you see a crazy ol lady wearing a huge bucket like hat at the games, it's me. I, dealing with my third bout with skin cancer and it's not pretty.

So plaster on the sun block and get a big hat.

Go UConn. Go Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate