QB options for 2012 - ND's Dayne Crist | The Boneyard

QB options for 2012 - ND's Dayne Crist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Twitter post after Saturday's BC game....

Thank you to my teammates and all the fans for making the last four years so special. ND will always have a special place in my heart.

He graduates in January and can play right away by selecting the correct Grad School major.
He may not be the perfect answer, but UConn needs to bring in a QB who can play right away or next year is going to sink the program.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think he is the answer. He struggled at ND and only would play for one year. Maybe if he had two years.

I am more comfortable with what we have plus Cochrane.

Reaction Score
Not a bad thought. He has a significant injury history...but he was recruited by Weiss for his pro-style offense. FB Mark Hinckley played hs ball with ND starters Robbie Toma and Mantei Teo', so he can get a good inside look at the program if he needs to.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be that different from What Syracuse did with the Dukie to buy them a year until nassim was deemed more ready.

Reaction Score
As an ND student, I have mixed feelings about Dayne Crist.

But he is better than anything we have. Trust me. I have watched every UConn and Notre Dame game this year. Crist played poorly for one half against USF and was yanked. He then came in for a series against USC and led the team all the way to the one yard line before fumbling the snap.
I'd take him in a second at UConn unless Cochran turns out to be the savior... and even then, it might be better for Casey to redshirt.

Reaction Score
We would take Crist in a nanosecond. If Nebrich beats him out, I'll be thrilled. And no one hands anyone a job. But on paper he is an improvement over where we are.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Haven't we seen this movie before with Fraser? I think the ending would be a little different this time.

Reaction Score
Really? Sink the program? Really? Can we tone down the drama queen-ness just a bit on this board?

"UConn needs to bring in a QB who can play right away or next year is going to sink the program."

I have mixed emotions about a 1 year wonder. The again, when I read this board, I have to pretend I never saw a UConn game in order to believe that we only ever had 1 D1 QB and that every QB on the bench or that we are recruiting is the next coming of Joe Montana

Reaction Score
I gave this some more thought last night. Are you getting Russell Wilson if you take Dayne Crist? No, you're not. Not even close. But you are getting a young man who won the job at Notre Dame not once, but twice. And one who frankly had one turnover filled game this year and got buried on the bench. It's not like he didn't win the job in camp, or he played half a year and didn't get it done. He had a bad game and never got a second chance.

I've been advocating for us to take a JUCO QB to compete for the job in '12 (and then presumably '13 as well if he won it). Frankly, given that I'm not down on Nebrich or Cochrane, or McCummings getting better as a 10 to 15 snaps a game package, as they all mature, I would absolutely take Crist and see if he couldn't give you improved play at QB next year. I think the odds are great that he could. And, if he doesn't, you've only spent one schollie for one year.

Whether he'd be interested in us, who knows.

Reaction Score
That is a great summary of my position, too. We absolutely need to improve the quartback position next year. If Crist is an option, I think that we should give it consideration. If not, I'd absolutely bring in a JUCO to compete for the job. I still think that Nebrich is going to grow into the job longterm, and I have no idea about Cochran, other than I know he won't be ready next year. But we can't afford to go through another season without solid play at that position.

Reaction Score
He'd be a great fit. How can the QB position get any worse? People are hoping that Cochrane will be the savior (and I hope he will and I think he will be a good one), but that what they were saying about Nebrich last year. Cochrane will be just as inexperienced as Nebrich was this season, better to red shirt him. Bring in any QB who looks at all promising. Can't have enough.

Reaction Score
He'd be a great fit. How can the QB position get any worse? People are hoping that Cochrane will be the savior (and I hope he will and I think he will be a good one), but that what they were saying about Nebrich last year. Cochrane will be just as inexperienced as Nebrich was this season, better to red shirt him. Bring in any QB who looks at all promising. Can't have enough.
As we should have done with Nebrich! Worst case we have a competent quarterback for a year then both Nebrich and Cochrane have time to lean the system fully and they compete in 2013, and we hope there is a freshman who comes in that season and is ready to compete for the job in 2015...

Reaction Score
Haven't we seen this movie before with Fraser? I think the ending would be a little different this time.

Not even close to the same as Frazer. Frazer couldn't sniff the field at ND, Crist was a very effective starter there. And now he will be a year removed from his second injury. If he wanted to transfer, he would be the starter from Day 1. And a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom