QB controversy/ies? | The Boneyard

QB controversy/ies?

Reaction Score
After watching the Wake postgame thread devolve into a JF vs NE discussion, I'm reminded of a similar controversy about 50 years ago. The Washington Redskins (for that was indeed their name) had two veteran quarterbacks in Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer. The fandom was divided as to whom should start, and burgundy and gold bumper stickers reading "I like Sonny" and "I like Billy" began to show up on cars throughout the DC metropolitan area. There were even a few "I like Joe" stickers as well, advocating for third string QB Joe Theisman, then mostly a punt returner who later led the 'Skins to two Super Bowls.

Anyone have a recollection of a similar controversy, NFL or otherwise?

Reaction Score
After watching the Wake postgame thread devolve into a JF vs NE discussion, I'm reminded of a similar controversy about 50 years ago. The Washington Redskins (for that was indeed their name) had two veteran quarterbacks in Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer. The fandom was divided as to whom should start, and burgundy and gold bumper stickers reading "I like Sonny" and "I like Billy" began to show up on cars throughout the DC metropolitan area. There were even a few "I like Joe" stickers as well, advocating for third string QB Joe Theisman, then mostly a punt returner who later led the 'Skins to two Super Bowls.

Patriots, every year since TB12 left.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There have been a ton of them in my lifetime.

Joe Kapp-Gary Cuozzo in Minnesota in the late 1960's

Craig Morton-Roger Staubach (actually alternated for a lot of 1969 & 1970) in Dallas.

Randy Johnson-Bob Lee in Atlanta in the early 1970's.

Steelers very briefly in the early 1970's with the two Terry's (Bradshaw-Hanratty), the Joe Gilliam was thrown in the mix.

When the Raiders had Lamonica, Blanda and Stabler.

Jets briefly with Richard Todd-Matt Robinson late 1970's

Dolphins with Wood-Strock (David Woodley-Don Strock) which ended when they drafted Marino.

Vikings again (late 1980's) with Tommy Kramer-Wade Wilson.

I know there's more. May add some later.

Reaction Score

Theisman returned punts in the NFL?

Reaction Score
Just about every team every year, particularly after a loss.

Can u remember a year here w/o one?

Reaction Score
Theisman returned punts in the NFL?
I had to check to be sure my memory was still sharp, but in 1974 (I think his first year after coming down from the CFL) he returned 15 punts for 157 yards (10.5 yards per return) with a long of 44. As I recall, he just wanted to contribute and volunteered to return punts. One year (1970), the 'Skins had a punt returner named Ricky Harris, who averaged less than a yard per return. The joke was he could have caught the ball and fallen forward and done better than that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
stick with upside and overall ability. Evers should be the quarterback going forward unless something happens.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Honestly I think it's a crapshoot on who would play better on any given they. JF passes better but NE makes the offense more dynamic.

In truth, I don't think it matters much. This is an OLine, running team.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Steelers very briefly in the early 1970's with the two Terry's (Bradshaw-Hanratty), the Joe Gilliam was thrown in the mix.
Too bad it wasn't 3 Terrys. Would love to have seen Monty Python's Terry Gilliam in the QB mix.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Too bad it wasn't 3 Terrys. Would love to have seen Monty Python's Terry Gilliam in the QB mix.
The Python's also had two Terry's. At least Gilliam (the lone American) would have known what a quarterback was.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

So by your analogy, Cole Welliver is Joe Theisman!

Reaction Score
I had to check to be sure my memory was still sharp, but in 1974 (I think his first year after coming down from the CFL) he returned 15 punts for 157 yards (10.5 yards per return) with a long of 44. As I recall, he just wanted to contribute and volunteered to return punts. One year (1970), the 'Skins had a punt returner named Ricky Harris, who averaged less than a yard per return. The joke was he could have caught the ball and fallen forward and done better than that.
Theisman played for our archrival HS in NJ, tiny South River HS, He was pronounced Theezman then. They had another pretty good QB named Drew Pearson who later played wr for the Cowboys I believe. Great fb program, tiny blue collar town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom