Qadence Samuels vs Toby Fournier | The Boneyard

Qadence Samuels vs Toby Fournier

Reaction Score

Bishop McNamara one of the best American team, that participated in the Geico Nationals last year, against Crestwood, one of the best Canadian team year after year. Whatch out for BM #10 Qadence Samuels 6'2'' (21pts) class 2023, who has commited to UConn for next year and for CW #35 Toby Fournier 6'3'' (29 pts and 11 reb.) if i counted correctly for both.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So easy to pick out Qadence - her double puffballs in her hair makes her the only one who looks like that. I hope she keeps it for 4 years at UCONN.

Fournier totally faked Qadence out a few times when Qadence was on defense. Toby is really good. Uses her length well. Qadence has some good athleticism and tools to work with, and has some good potential, but she's not at all polished.

Reaction Score

Bishop McNamara one of the best American team, that participated in the Geico Nationals last year, against Crestwood, one of the best Canadian team year after year. Whatch out for BM #10 Qadence Samuels 6'2'' (21pts) class 2023, who has commited to UConn for next year and for CW #35 Toby Fournier 6'3'' (29 pts and 11 reb.) if i counted correctly for both.

Reaction Score
It was nice to see a full game vs. Highlights. No Spoiler = the better
team won! Qadence with a streak of three pointers; Toby with a bit of
everything : points, blocks, an asist, and OH! those rebounds! A very
streaky and , at times, physical game. Bishop McNamara came back
from 17 points to tie the game at 50 - 50. Then it got interesting
with what appeared to be a called flagrant foul, no? Crestwood was
quick and well coached, nice passing! Thanks for the posting, I
enjoyed it. Z

Reaction Score

Fournier is raw and needs some skills work but she plays hard, can board, and is willing to take it to the hole. Some good stuff to work with there.
Samuels can shoot a little bit and obviously likes to a lot. Other than the 4 or so makes she had very little impact on the game. She needs a lot of work in all other areas before she gets to UConn.

Reaction Score
Fournier is raw and needs some skills work but she plays hard, can board, and is willing to take it to the hole. Some good stuff to work with there.
Samuels can shoot a little bit and obviously likes to a lot. Other than the 4 or so makes she had very little impact on the game. She needs a lot of work in all other areas before she gets to UConn.
Agreed..........Samuels showed a nice three point touch but really didn't contribute at either end of the floor otherwise............Fournier has Ashlynn Shade's motor and scored in traffic on a number of occasions...........she was dominant at both ends of the floor.........don't think she took a shot outside of five feet from the basket so I still have no idea if she can shoot even from midrange.........

Reaction Score
she made at least one three with nice stroke. Slick left handed drive to score. Very skilled and athletic. Sees the floor and game very well. Surprised at Samuels not doing much but shoot.

Reaction Score
From what I saw Toby has more talents that I am pretty sure will translate to a top Division 1 program. I don't think she is a good pure shooter, but have little doubt that she will be a pretty good defender, with lots of blocks and steals, and a ton of rebounds. Her handle was better than I was anticipating as was her ability to take it to the basket, but her offense I think is at least somewhat of a question mark. My best guess is that she will still score pretty well on offensive put backs and hustle plays with some garbage points.

Q looked like a spot up three point shooter with length and pretty good athletic ability but I didn't really see other guard skills, or a desire to play around the basket like a big. After that game I could only see her as a 3, and in terms of style more like a 3 and D type of player, but I don't know how good her outside shot really is at this point. Maybe we can see other talents in different games or clips.

Reaction Score
Fournier looks formidable. She has a lot of energy, runs the court well and plays like a post player, a 5 or a 4, not a wing. Qadence didn't have much energy in this game, and plays like a wing, though she had to guard Fournier a few times. Even though the height difference between them seems slight, Fournier is simply a bigger kid than Qadence.

I like Fournier's ability to finish around the rim, and her insistence on taking the ball to the rim. She was the biggest kid on the court here, so she didn't meet much resistance. In the FIBA games, she didn't have quite such a free pass in the paint. But she still had some success.

Reaction Score
From what I saw Toby has more talents that I am pretty sure will translate to a top Division 1 program. I don't think she is a good pure shooter, but have little doubt that she will be a pretty good defender, with lots of blocks and steals, and a ton of rebounds. Her handle was better than I was anticipating as was her ability to take it to the basket, but her offense I think is at least somewhat of a question mark. My best guess is that she will still score pretty well on offensive put backs and hustle plays with some garbage points.

Q looked like a spot up three point shooter with length and pretty good athletic ability but I didn't really see other guard skills, or a desire to play around the basket like a big. After that game I could only see her as a 3, and in terms of style more like a 3 and D type of player, but I don't know how good her outside shot really is at this point. Maybe we can see other talents in different games or clips.
At 6' 2" I would not consider Qadence a contender as a " big". How about as a "wing"? The
Toby I saw ( I did watch the whole game) was very balanced and rather effective collecting
all sorts of rebounds ( I saw at least 2 offensive ones ), and she vacuumed the floor running
down all sort of rebounds near to and especially away from the basket. I particularly appreciated
her "feistiness" after some increase in the physical aspect of the game ( and some verbal stuff ).
She responded with some of her best play and made a very impressive blocked shot to make
a clear statement to Bishop McNamara. She does not take plays " off". Given all that, I've
come around to the opinion that Cassandra Prosper is the more gifted athlete. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
It's good to see that this event was streamed on YouTube. I missed attending this season unfortunately due to other commitments as it was our Thanksgiving this past weekend.

Glad to see that people got an opportunity to see Fournier in action against good competition. Most opinions are in line with what I've been saying since she's been talked about on this board. What we have to watch for is whether the shooting develops this season. If it doesn't I'm going to be both surprised and disappointed at the same time. There are some decent teams in the OSBA and they're going to make it harder for her to score in the paint this season.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
All I gathered from that video was that one team played as a team whilst the other did not... which resulted in a 20-point margin of victory.

Reaction Score
All I gathered from that video was that one team played as a team whilst the other did not... which resulted in a 20-point margin of victory.
Disagree. There definitely were times where you saw individual play from Bishop MacNamara's side however I saw more confusion and frustration based on how Crestwood was defending and the calls being made by the referees.

At some points during the game, it looked like Crestwood set up a light 1-2-2 zone shell to confuse Bishop MacNamara. Guards were driving into double or triple teams when the ball should have been passed to an open player to take advantage of the gaps. Defensively, they didn't communicate well which left Crestwood open for 3s consistently too.

Their play during the third was really good and they went toe-to-toe with Crestwood. Crestwood came back with that 1-2-2 again and it looked to me that MacNamara couldn't figure it out. It also eliminated their ability to get offensive rebounds or the ball inside which was working well in the third. Fournier got caught several times by #5 in the paint with her post moves and scored fairly easily.

Not sure how much exposure MacNamara players gets to FIBA rules. They weren't dealing with the contact well which translated into those flagrant fouls which were out of frustration in my opinion. At the same time, it didn't help that there were only 2 referees on the court as there were a few calls that could have used a third set of eyes to help out. The coach from MacNamara had a case when I think Qadence was called for a flagrant late in the game. Her defender reached through the body, from behind, several times which is a violation of the player's space per FIBA rules. Doesn't excuse Qadence for her reaction, but it could have been a double foul in my opinion. For all we know it a foul could have been called on the Crestwood player, but the camera footage made it hard to tell.

Reaction Score
Disagree. There definitely were times where you saw individual play from Bishop MacNamara's side however I saw more confusion and frustration based on how Crestwood was defending and the calls being made by the referees.

At some points during the game, it looked like Crestwood set up a light 1-2-2 zone shell to confuse Bishop MacNamara. Guards were driving into double or triple teams when the ball should have been passed to an open player to take advantage of the gaps. Defensively, they didn't communicate well which left Crestwood open for 3s consistently too.

Their play during the third was really good and they went toe-to-toe with Crestwood. Crestwood came back with that 1-2-2 again and it looked to me that MacNamara couldn't figure it out. It also eliminated their ability to get offensive rebounds or the ball inside which was working well in the third. Fournier got caught several times by #5 in the paint with her post moves and scored fairly easily.

Not sure how much exposure MacNamara players gets to FIBA rules. They weren't dealing with the contact well which translated into those flagrant fouls which were out of frustration in my opinion. At the same time, it didn't help that there were only 2 referees on the court as there were a few calls that could have used a third set of eyes to help out. The coach from MacNamara had a case when I think Qadence was called for a flagrant late in the game. Her defender reached through the body, from behind, several times which is a violation of the player's space per FIBA rules. Doesn't excuse Qadence for her reaction, but it could have been a double foul in my opinion. For all we know it a foul could have been called on the Crestwood player, but the camera footage made it hard to tell.
Thanks for the clarifications of many items by Blogger "cancontent" that I never considered!
I did not see the 1 - 2 - 2 zone, but did see the effect it had on the Bishop McNamara squad.
Also that comment on FIBA rules , and two rather than 3 refs, helped me to understand the called flagrant
foul and the feisty play at some times. It was an interesting game for many reasons. FYI
check out the new thread on the top 8 teams on Toby Fournier's College to be list! We are
there!!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarifications of many items by Blogger "cancontent" that I never considered!
I did not see the 1 - 2 - 2 zone, but did see the effect it had on the Bishop McNamara squad.
Also that comment on FIBA rules , and two rather than 3 refs, helped me to understand the called flagrant
foul and the feisty play at some times.
It was an interesting game for many reasons. FYI
check out the new thread on the top 8 teams on Toby Fournier's College to be list! We are
there!!

Glad it was helpful. A couple points to clarify:

1) I mentioned the 1-2-2 because it looked like Crestwood was trying to confuse MacNamara. Sometimes the 1-2-2 can be used as a man/zone defence hybrid (in my opnion). I remember my daughter's rep team using this approach when she was in grade school. Players look like they're matched up on a player, but in reality they're defending an area based on where the ball is. Again, it's a guess based on the footage.

2) FIBA rules are what most Canadian basketball leagues use. Federation rules are rarely used anymore, with the exception of some high school leagues. It's always interesting to see how Canadian kids adjust to US / NCAA rules because less contact seems to be allowed. I've always wondered why FIBA rules haven't been adopted but that's another discussion thread in itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom