Q&A With Liberty AD Ian McCaw (UConn Mention) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Q&A With Liberty AD Ian McCaw (UConn Mention)

Reaction Score
Remember one thing about MAC play, it is often during the week. How many in for Arkon on a Wednesday night. Not me.

Lol that was not listed as a “con”

Reaction Score
If we are going Indy my preference would be some kind of scheduling alliance with the AAC. 3-4 games/ year or something. I’d do the same with the MAC if the AAC isn’t possible. But I suspect it might be. Then you play 2 home 2 away AAC an FCS Northeast team Army, Liberty a couple of Big 10 2 ACC B12 mid tier teams and a Major power road game. Maybe we get a 2-1 game with a big name along the way. Someone who recruits the northeast regularly. For us though winning is vital. Winning a buy game every few years is pretty important I think. Getting a big name here even if it’s only every 3-4 years is pretty important so I think fighting for 2-1s would be important.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m just not convinced MAC scheduling and MAC bowl access with make one shred of difference for recruiting or fan interest. We are a unique FBS property given our location and basketball first positioning. I think we can own independence very well. I don’t want to be 8th in recruiting and middling in the MAC. We can create our own free spirit narrative w/o the shackles of a middle G5 schedule that won’t sell.

Independence is fraught with risks- could fail- but there is far more upside and frankly we can’t fail any worse than we already have.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are a unique FBS property given our location and basketball first positioning. I think we can own independence very well.
I want to believe this, but I think it is seeing the world through national flag blue glasses. I do feel like it is true though.

Reaction Score
I’m just not convinced MAC scheduling and MAC now access with make one shred of difference for recruiting or fan interest. We are a unique FBS property given our location and basketball first positioning. I think we can own independence very well. I don’t want to be 8th in recruiting and middling in the MAC. We can create our own free spirit narrative w/o the shackles of a middle G5 schedule that won’t sell.

Independence is fraught with risks- could fail- but there is far more upside and frankly we can’t fail any worse than we already have.

It’s fraught with risks and could fail...

The MAC makes a nice security blanket should that happen.

We have to try independence first.

Reaction Score
Remember one thing about MAC play, it is often during the week. How many in for Arkon on a Wednesday night. Not me.

Assuming that SNY is a ready and able TV partner, we will have significant control over game days/times.

Imagine most home games being on Saturday at noon or 3:30!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, filling 12 games per year every year is going to be tough. The MAC is not an opition unless they just want FB, and that would depend on us keeping our FB rights (or most of them). The expected $$$ from an indy deal with SNY or equal, is what is driving this move. Taking a TV deal that is worse than the AAC one isn't happening.

A few more 'rules' for you schedule makers:

1. Army and BYU don't need or want us on their schedule every year. If Dave makes that happen he should get a statue.
2. I will accept Liberty and New Mexico State only as a last resort. I expect this will in fact be the case.
3. I think it is fair to assume UMass would be interested in a regular spot. BC/Cuse will not.
4. I think RU would be open to a semi-regular game, like 4 games in 12 years type of regular.
5. Penn State has zero interest, they play 7/8 home games a year, only have 3 OOC slots per year and most are filled for the rest of your lives if they are not publicized. They want games with MAC area schools, one big TV game and one lesser P5, like Pitt. They also want teams that can complete, we can't right now. If Dave can swing a pay road game before 2027...statue.
6. Big Ten games in general will be tough, 3 OOC slots per year. The Mich/OSU/Wisc/Neb, see PSU. You might get the bottom half teams to play H/H only as long as the B1G keeps our P5-equivalent designation which is no guarantee. The B1G want's the OOC schedule to help with playoff scoring. To them the AAC qualifies (mostly). It remains to be seen if indy UConn will get that designation.
7. BC will play us so long as it is in their interest (us as an easy win).
8. Our OOC games for the next few years are OK to pretty good. Filling Oct, Nov, Dec will be tough.
9. An SEC buy road game has to be part of the strategy initially, They play a lot of cupcakes in Nov before the big rivalries. Dave needs to be in on that. He should try to lock in as many one-offs as he can.
10. If your proposed schedule doesn't include at least 1 FCS, 3 MAC/Sun Belt/MW games, 3 Ind games, you are doing it wrong.

Reaction Score
As CL82, Gaupo and Exit4 say, this is risky. However, MAC membership is a surefire ticket to oblivion. Connecticut front runners are not buying into the MAC. Independent provides a channel to relevance. That starts with each and every one of us never having to say, “We’re in the MAC.” That is a kiss of death in CT.

Now, let’s all discuss the other elephant in the room, coaching. If Randy can’t make progress this year or next, cut bait for a coach that can recruit his butt off and pay him. I’m not saying hire Art Briles, but I’m not not saying hire Art Briles. If that doesn’t work, hire someone else that can coach his balls off.

Reaction Score
As CL82, Gaupo and Exit4 say, this is risky. However, MAC membership is a surefire ticket to oblivion. Connecticut front runners are not buying into the MAC. Independent provides a channel to relevance. That starts with each and every one of us never having to say, “We’re in the MAC.” That is a kiss of death in CT.

Now, let’s all discuss the other elephant in the room, coaching. If Randy can’t make progress this year or next, cut bait for a coach that can recruit his butt off and pay him. I’m not saying hire Art Briles, but I’m not not saying hire Art Briles. If that doesn’t work, hire someone else that can coach his balls off.
Agreed. By the end of the 2020 season there has to be a clear upward trajectory. I still have faith that will happen.

Reaction Score

I could live with a MAC East division schedule, but I know I’m in the minority on that one.

I really want us to embrace the UMass game on rivalry week. They really enjoyed the hell out of their win at Rentschler last year.

If what Benedict said about being approached by schools our fans would be excited to play is true, then independent status needs to be explored.

Reaction Score
Does Liberty allow Jesus in the huddle? Asking for a friend...

I dunno. It's not a question on my theological radar. Perhaps your friend would rather know which school is more likely to still have a football huddle in five year's time - Liberty or UConn?

Reaction Score
I dunno. It's not a question on my theological radar. Perhaps your friend would rather know which school is more likely to still have a football huddle in five year's time - Liberty or UConn?
Dude if you’re this down on the program why are you here so much?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Beautiful university and the location is nice.
I wouldn't mind seeing UConn beat them and the road trip would be fun if it is a 2 at Storrs and 1 at Lynchburg VA as I have friends in the area and would be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
Being a UMass fan have been looking a lot at the indy and another possible options. My preference is like noeynox. Do think there is value in trying Indy. Become successful, then get left home during bowl season, would be the best time for a MAC FB option with UMass. You'd be in a stronger negotiating position and your fans may see the value of a conference affiliation. The MAC will value it and for us, we are already well scheduled but have an issue with 7 away games in 2022. Selfishly try it for 2-3 years and see what happens.
Don't want to talk about lack of success as an independent, 2022 schedule does not look good with opening with 5 straight away games.

Future UMass Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom