Putting Players In Positions to Make Plays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Putting Players In Positions to Make Plays

Reaction Score
There are times when the offense tries to get the ball inside to Carlton and 50% of the time the entry pass is so poor it defeats the effort. There are obvious efforts to get the ball to Polley off a screen. Other than that, I'm hard pressed to understand what we're trying to do in most sets. Seriously, it seems like the guards are supposed to make their own plays, and, I'd love someone to point out anything we do which focuses on Akok or Boatknight scoring. Their only opportunities in half court sets seem to be spotting up for kick out passes. I'd love to stand corrected if our more educated coaches have better insight. (Like Mau I also hold my breath when Gilbert splits a double team and loses control, but it seems like that is how he is being coached to attack) (I also agree with posters that don't see the benefit of Josh pulled out to the 3 pt line)

Reaction Score
Good shooting (outside of close shots) almost always requires getting the feet set and being balanced. With a few rare exceptions we weren't on Wednesday vs Cincy. I think AAU basketball needs to get back to basics and develope more individual skills in their players instead of what they are focusing on presently.

C

Chief00

I think AAU basketball needs to get back to basics and develope more individual skills in their players instead of what they are focusing on presently.

Good coaching helps, but there is nothing that improves a young player’s BB-IQ* more than playing unsupervised games with older and smarter players. I think we have lost that a little and although advocating for “unsupervised” may seem counterintuitive to the casual fan, I think those who played the game know what Chief means.

Reaction Score
Good shooting (outside of close shots) almost always requires getting the feet set and being balanced. With a few rare exceptions we weren't on Wednesday vs Cincy. I think AAU basketball needs to get back to basics and develope more individual skills in their players instead of what they are focusing on presently.

I realize some may be down on AAU basketball but what I see today are the greatest generation of shooters as well as ball handling lead guards in the history of the sport. Maybe big men are not developed as well today but the game has also evolved past drop steps and hook shots.

C

Chief00

I realize some may be down on AAU basketball but what I see today are the greatest generation of shooters as well as ball handling lead guards in the history of the sport. Maybe big men are not developed as well today but the game has also evolved past drop steps and hook shots.
Guys practice 3’s more than ever. I don’t know if your comments translate on the FT line or mid range? As Calhoun used to say, assuming you have some good shooters, shooting % is often about who takes the shots.

Reaction Score
Guys practice 3’s more than ever. I don’t know if your comments translate on the FT line or mid range? As Calhoun used to say, assuming you have some good shooters, shooting % is often about who takes the shots.

There is no question the mid-range has suffered but most mid-range shots are also bad shots in the modern game. Re: FT shooting, I'd bet that %'s in the last 20 years are similar to past eras.

Regardless, I still want a post presence on my teams and there is little doubt that AAU has fostered and developed a guard oriented game at the expense of bigs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom