Putting Bouknight aside for a minute... | The Boneyard

Putting Bouknight aside for a minute...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We're gonna see what this team is made of the next couple of weeks. Regardless of exactly what happened with Bouknight (and again, this thread is not about him), I think the team really thought after the Seton Hall game that he was coming back for Providence, and maybe they were a little dejected when he didn't. That being said, we need the rest of the team (Hurley included) to really step up and stop waiting for Bouk to come save the season. This is exactly when we're going to see what each of these players is made of. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Isaiah Whaley, but he looks nothing like the player that dominated most games down the stretch last year, or even the good but not great player from earlier this year. Outside of about two minutes last night, he looked lost on the court. RJ Cole and Jalen Gaffney have both showed spurts of being good to very good players, but neither one is showing urgency the last few games in running the offense and getting a good look. Tyler Polley all of a sudden can't hit a three anymore. The defense as a whole has taken a big step back. Sanogo and Jackson have both looked really good and they need to be on the floor for 30+ minutes, but our guards and our head coach have to make it a priority to get the ball into Sanogo's hands every single possession early in the shot clock, or at the very least make an effort. He doesn't have to shoot it every time, but he's our best shot at having a functioning offense.

The one thing that seperated our great UConn teams from the rest was not just their talent, but their fight. Watch an old game any year from 1990-2009; you would almost never see our team get out-toughed. This year's team has shown the ability to be tough, but the last few weeks they've looked soft. It's time for them to step up and take the reins on our season.

Reaction Score
We're gonna see what this team is made of the next couple of weeks. Regardless of exactly what happened with Bouknight (and again, this thread is not about him), I think the team really thought after the Seton Hall game that he was coming back for Providence, and maybe they were a little dejected when he didn't. That being said, we need the rest of the team (Hurley included) to really step up and stop waiting for Bouk to come save the season. This is exactly when we're going to see what each of these players is made of. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Isaiah Whaley, but he looks nothing like the player that dominated most games down the stretch last year, or even the good but not great player from earlier this year. Outside of about two minutes last night, he looked lost on the court. RJ Cole and Jalen Gaffney have both showed spurts of being good to very good players, but neither one is showing urgency the last few games in running the offense and getting a good look. Tyler Polley all of a sudden can't hit a three anymore. The defense as a whole has taken a big step back. Sanogo and Jackson have both looked really good and they need to be on the floor for 30+ minutes, but our guards and our head coach have to make it a priority to get the ball into Sanogo's hands every single possession early in the shot clock, or at the very least make an effort. He doesn't have to shoot it every time, but he's our best shot at having a functioning offense.

The one thing that seperated our great UConn teams from the rest was not just their talent, but their fight. Watch an old game any year from 1990-2009; you would almost never see our team get out-toughed. This year's team has shown the ability to be tough, but the last few weeks they've looked soft. It's time for them to step up and take the reins on our season.
We've seen what this team is made of. Our vets arent capable and our young guys arent ready. We're missing a star. Man i wish we could find one of those....

Reaction Score
Without Bouk this is a rebuilding year. The focus is about watching Sanogo and Jackson develop and hoping they become leaders of a contending team a year or two down the line. Maybe Gaff too, but Gaff may not be good enough to scare away high level recruits at his position.

Reaction Score
Would like to see DH give AJ the green light when he has the ball in his hands. Too often being the good teammate and returning passes and staying in the offensive set. In PC game he was frequently getting the ball in the corner with one-on-one coverage from the defender. Looks to me like he could take those guys to the hoop easily and either pass to AS/IW or create his own finishing shot/dunk.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to have the ball at the top of the key distributing, with RJ or Gaffney in that corner. It does no good to get the ball to AJ where his driving and passing angles are cut down, and his jump shot isn't his strength. An added advantage is his ability to block shots at the other end if he is the one rotating back when the guards are shooting that corner 3 and missing. IMO Sanogo stays in the paint and sets picks for cutters through the lane, AJ at the top of the offense, and the other guys cutting and moving. As an aside when I rewatch yesterday's game I'm going to key an eye open for any time in the game that Brendan Adams touched the ball. After 11-12 minutes of court time, I have never seen a less productive box score. No shots, no rbs, no assists, no turnovers, no pf, no steals, and I didn't notice him breaking the pressure or playing defense. I have no idea how he mastered invisability.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to have the ball at the top of the key distributing, with RJ or Gaffney in that corner. It does no good to get the ball to AJ where his driving and passing angles are cut down, and his jump shot isn't his strength. An added advantage is his ability to block shots at the other end if he is the one rotating back when the guards are shooting that corner 3 and missing. IMO Sanogo stays in the paint and sets picks for cutters through the lane, AJ at the top of the offense, and the other guys cutting and moving. As an aside when I rewatch yesterday's game I'm going to key an eye open for any time in the game that Brendan Adams touched the ball. After 11-12 minutes of court time, I have never seen a less productive box score. No shots, no rbs, no assists, no turnovers, no pf, no steals, and I didn't notice him breaking the pressure or playing defense. I have no idea how he mastered invisability.
If DH would let him set up at top of key. All the better. Have noticed that AJ and AS are building a nice rapport between themselves to the point where they are looking for each other when the ball is in one or the other's hands.

Reaction Score
Next season AJ is going to be dribbling by his opponents and finishing at the rim with ease. Right now he is building confidence and just came back from injury. I love what this kid has to offer because if Bouk goes we have a brilliant young man to replace him

Adama gets better every single game. Seriously. I don't care that he takes some turn around hooks that fall flat on the rim. The more he takes shots the more he is going to learn about being a big man in the Big East. His defense has also gotten a lot better. I notice that when he is near fouling someone with his hands on an opposing player the assistant coaches are yelling at him to just put his hands up because his chest and body can handle someone backing down on him.

Martin is the X factor on this team. When he goes off for 20 and puts his head down and drives to the rim like the battering ram he can be, we are a totally different team on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with all of it, as little as Jackson has played and as raw as his scoring game is Andre and Sanogo are already our two best players. Hurley has to put the ball in Jackson's hands where he can create for everyone else and himself. Putting him out on the three point corners does nothing for him and the team, he needs to be given the keys to initiate.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'they've looked soft.'
ezpz. remove 'mr softee' (according to his stats, and not someone's 'opinion') and the 'grit' will return. i'll bet that guy has the cleanest fingernails in all of college hoops.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Agree with all of it, as little as Jackson has played and as raw as his scoring game is Andre and Sanogo are already our two best players. Hurley has to put the ball in Jackson's hands where he can create for everyone else and himself. Putting him out on the three point corners does nothing for him and the team, he needs to be given the keys to initiate.
Yup he could be a Daniel hamilton’esque “point forward” Which considering our pure PG play to this point would be a big step up.

Reaction Score
I cant imagine the team is as clueless about what's going on with Bouknight as the rest of us and the media are. I imagine some are friends with him and talk to him and know exactly what's going on.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Would like to see DH give AJ the green light when he has the ball in his hands. Too often being the good teammate and returning passes and staying in the offensive set. In PC game he was frequently getting the ball in the corner with one-on-one coverage from the defender. Looks to me like he could take those guys to the hoop easily and either pass to AS/IW or create his own finishing shot/dunk.
Booyah!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t think Whaley can play well at the 4 next to Sanogo. He needs room to operate and have space on the floor. Having them both in the lineup crowds the paint. On the defensive end he goes from guarding a 5 in the paint to potentially guarding a stretch 4. I would prefer finding a way to play them separately over long stretches of Hurley can find a way.

Reaction Score
Without Bouk this is a rebuilding year. The focus is about watching Sanogo and Jackson develop and hoping they become leaders of a contending team a year or two down the line. Maybe Gaff too, but Gaff may not be good enough to scare away high level recruits at his position.
And why isn’t NEXT year a rebuilding year? We been rebuilding for 5 years now.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think I'm over the Bouk drama. We need to assume he's done and if he returns, it's a bonus. Unfortunately the seniors haven't really stepped up (consistently) which I think speaks to the 'losing culture' that DH has been trying to change.

Injuries, Covid pauses, etc have really put this team in a tough situation for any type of success. While I question DH's decisions at times, he's getting things thrown at him that are unprecedented.

Reaction Score
And why isn’t NEXT year a rebuilding year? We been rebuilding for 5 years now.
Next year is a rebuilding year as well. We also haven't been rebuilding for 5 years. We were decaying for 2 or 3 of those years.

Reaction Score

I know this is going to be controversial but here goes. I agree with you on your assessment of this team. You don't quit because you lost a really good player, you find a way to compensate and you compete. Right now we are doing neither. I find that I cannot watch the Uconn men anymore. Instead I record the game and if they win, I watch. If they lose, I erase. They are very hard to watch. They make so many mistakes and by this time in the season, they should be better. I like what Hurley has done recruiting-wise but he is a long way from being the second coming of Jim Calhoun. I don't think I'll be watching the recording of today's game, Xavier is out of their league.

Reaction Score
We need a leader on the floor. We need that go to guy when we need a big shot.

We have none.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know this is going to be controversial but here goes. I agree with you on your assessment of this team. You don't quit because you lost a really good player, you find a way to compensate and you compete. Right now we are doing neither. I find that I cannot watch the Uconn men anymore. Instead I record the game and if they win, I watch. If they lose, I erase. They are very hard to watch. They make so many mistakes and by this time in the season, they should be better. I like what Hurley has done recruiting-wise but he is a long way from being the second coming of Jim Calhoun. I don't think I'll be watching the recording of today's game, Xavier is out of their league.
confused jim carrey GIF

Mojo post or worst fan ever? I can’t decide.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There just isn't enough accountability for those that were insulting Bouk, spreading conspiracy theories and jumping off the bandwagon. Not hearing lots of apologies.

Edit to correct typos.

Reaction Score
.... I find that I cannot watch the Uconn men anymore. Instead I record the game and if they win, I watch. If they lose, I erase. They are very hard to watch. They make so many mistakes and by this time in the season, they should be better. ... I don't think I'll be watching the recording of today's game, Xavier is out of their league.

confused jim carrey GIF

Mojo post or worst fan ever? I can’t decide.
Mojo. A big thank you to 60’sfan, we needed that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There just isn't enough accountability for those that were insulting Bouk, spreading conspiracy theories and jumping off the bandwagon. Not hearing lots of apologies.

Edit to correct typos.
Three words: Frank’s Red Hot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom