Putterman: Randy Edsall says players’ attitudes are ‘totally different’ from last year in opening days of practice | The Boneyard

Putterman: Randy Edsall says players’ attitudes are ‘totally different’ from last year in opening days of practice

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Last fall, as UConn football stumbled to a 1-11 record, coach Randy Edsall spoke not only about the need to improve his team’s speed and strength but also about the need to improve its collective attitude, to receive full buy-in from more players.
So although the season remains nearly four weeks away, and although positive vibes in August don’t always mean much come October, it may be a good sign that Edsall has seen a change in the early days of the Huskies’ training camp.

“It’s been totally different,” Edsall said Sunday. “I’ve been very pleased with the effort and the attitude and them really taking the initiative to do things the way they should be done.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Didn't Edsall say during 2018 Summer camp that the team was becoming like a fist where everyone was buying in, unlike the year before where they were like an open palm?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly if you set your expectations around anything that anyone associated with this program says - you probably need to get your head checked out. It’s all meaningless garbage until they don’t lose by 50.

Reaction Score
Last year if you remember, they were a closed fist at this time of year as opposed to the previous year when they were an open hand. By the end of the year that closed fist was delivering face punches to the UConn fans crazy enough to still watch the games.

Reaction Score
Last year if you remember, they were a closed fist at this time of year as opposed to the previous year when they were an open hand. By the end of the year that closed fist was delivering face punches to the UConn fans crazy enough to still watch the games.
Last year, UConn started off the season with a grueling schedule (with final coaches poll rankings) with a very young team:

Week 1: #11 UCF at home
Week 2: #23 Boise St. away
Week 3: URI at home
Week 4: #15 Syracuse away
Week 5: #24 Cincinnati at home
Week 6: AAC Western Division champ Memphis away

Then, they had a bye week and they were competitive in 3 of the next 4 games.

A young team is not going to hold up to that schedule to start the season no matter what the team looked like in pre-season practice.

This is not an excuse for the poor performance last year as I thought we could get 3 wins. But, I am expecting a better season this year as I expect the defense to be improved. If the Wagner game is not a blow out, then it will be a very long season.

Reaction Score
[
Honestly if you set your expectations around anything that anyone associated with this program says - you probably need to get your head checked out. It’s all meaningless garbage until they don’t lose by 50.
This. Randy's never been great in the press anyway; this is low-hanging (over-ripe, worm-infested) fruit for Pal.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I will add this from some I heard from people around the program stating that UConn will be better and will surprise the fans and the "experts".
The players are so different this year from last year. From what I heard some of it has to do with Matt King and Marcus Wasilewski.

Reaction Score
I think we have heard the thing about the players having a totally different attitude what, for the last eight preseason camps? Don't give a uno what about the players' attitudes. In fact, I hope they are pissed as hell about the DC. I don't care if he is abusive in his language so long as something changes from last year. So no, I do not give a rat's ass abpout the players' attitudes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think we have heard the thing about the players having a totally different attitude what, for the last eight preseason camps? Don't give a uno what about the players' attitudes. In fact, I hope they are pissed as hell about the DC. I don't care if he is abusive in his language so long as something changes from last year. So no, I do not give a rat's ass abpout the players' attitudes.

And I'm sure they don't about yours.

Reaction Score
Last year, UConn started off the season with a grueling schedule (with final coaches poll rankings) with a very young team:

A young team is not going to hold up to that schedule to start the season no matter what the team looked like in pre-season practice.

This is not an excuse for the poor performance last year as I thought we could get 3 wins. But, I am expecting a better season this year as I expect the defense to be improved. If the Wagner game is not a blow out, then it will be a very long season.
It was tough, but they couldn't tackle Rhode Island's finest. I would be ecstatic if the defense ended ranked like 80th.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was tough, but they couldn't tackle Rhode Island's finest. I would be ecstatic if the defense ended ranked like 80th.

If they went from the worst defense in college football history to 80th?

If they did that they should dip Lou Spanish in Bronze and prop him up in front of Gampel.

If they get to 110 it’s a miracle.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

If they did that they should dip Lou Spanish in Bronze and prop him up in front of Gampel.

I would have considered propping him up at the Rent, but your idea gets the attention of the casual fb fan at a bb game.

Genius.

Reaction Score

I know, i said ecstatic. Ecstatic would take me all the way to under 100. Simply teaching these kids how to tackle will go a long way. Getting them to RUN TO THE Ball till the whistle is blown will also.

There is so much room for improvement on the little things that i do think its possible to make 30 spot leap or so.

I think key players will be DJ Morgan and Diamond Harrell. We need some new guys to be tone setters and teach these kids.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know, i said ecstatic. Ecstatic would take me all the way to under 100. Simply teaching these kids how to tackle will go a long way. Getting them to RUN TO THE Ball till the whistle is blown will also.

There is so much room for improvement on the little things that i do think its possible to make 30 spot leap or so.

I think key players will be DJ Morgan and Diamond Harrell. We need some new guys to be tone setters and teach these kids.

The problem wasn’t the little things. The problem was the roster.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately when you’re a jaded fan you ignore the caveats which were all over the place last year. A gazillion freshmen losing to an experienced UCF, Syracuse and Boise, etc team still, in their minds, suck. Quite frankly all of those teams did what they were supposed to do to us. If they hadn’t, I would have lost faith in college football from a competitive standpoint.
I give all the credit in the world to those young kids for going out there and facing what they faced- knowing they were playing a collision sport and going up against guys that were older and had NFL potential/aspirations.
God bless em. Hope they get some semblance of validation for their courage and hard work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom